What happens to your $600 OBC if they cancel your rebooked cruise too?

WindDancer

On 1/21/2021 at 11:32 AM, pamesacruisin said:

We're thinking of booking a July cruise in hopes that it might just happen, but also know there's a good chance it won't.  We have a FCC and the $600 obc each for 2 cabins.  It will end up being so confusing financially if the new cruise is cancelled.  New cruise is twice the price, a higher deposit, and we wanted to take advantage of the cheers promo.  First cruise was paid for mostly with Carnival gift cards, hence the FCC, as we couldn't get a cash refund.  2nd cruise would be using the FCC and remaining on C.C.  Ugh, gives me a headache just thinking about how that refund would work??? I wouldn't want another FCC as too much $$ tied up, but the $3000 in gift cards makes it complicated. 😨

I feel your pain, we had a Princess Alaskan cruise for last May 2020, paid with Princess discounted gift cards.  Our total for 2 cabins (4 people) was well over $10K, all in gift cards 🤣.  It was a nightmare until it all got refunded and re-booked for March 2022.  Just praying that sailing gets to go forward.  Good Luck!

On 1/7/2021 at 8:10 AM, pe4all said:

some people are saying they had to put another deposit down on their "new" cruise.  We never had to do this - our deposit was rolled over along with whatever else we had paid.  

The credit is moved over if you opt for the OBC to be applied to that new booking at the time you rebook. The credit and the OBC go together. They are not separated If you dont specify that you want the OBC to be applied you have to pay another deposit for that new booking. When you rebook tell Carnival you want to use your OBC for that new booking and the old deposit will be credited as the deposit for the new. If the new booking is cancelled you lose the old OBC and gain some new but you wont lose you credits.

You will now have that same original lot of credits which you can put onto a 3rd booking so you can keep the OBC or get back without any future OBC I know it doesnt sound right and its not. Use the OBC and lose it if the new booing is cancelled also or pay another deposit for the new and save your original deposit and a new OBC for a future cruise or for that one later if it looks like we will be cruising. Its a bit of a gamble. Do you tie up a lot of funds by paying several lots of deposits to save those lovely OBCs which are rapidly mounting up to quite a pile monetarily, or do you go ahead and risk losing them by using that old deposit and the OBC for the new booking if it's cancelled ?

I have just rebooked our cancelled April 2020 cruise.  We had 2 cabins and choose the FCC and $600 OBC for each cabin.  Here's what happened as far as the deposit so hopefully this will help others, as there are different scenarios on whether the original deposit can be transferred to the new cruise.  Original deposit was $250 each, new cruise $50 each.  Since we paid more on the first cruise we could have used FCC funds for the new deposit and not given Carnival any more $$.  BUT, since we had paid a very small portion of the cruise with PayPal, as we had booked on line using Carnival Gift Cards and not much left to pay and since PayPal was an option, why not?  We would not use PayPal again to pay for part of a cruise, as it brings a 3rd party in and makes it more complicated.  Because of that we were not able to use any FCC towards the deposit.  Still don't really understand why, but just one of the many policies Carnival has. 

I also will never buy gift cards again because then you're stuck!  Your money is tied up whether you take the FCC or get refunded to the gift card.  If Carnival cancels this next cruise, we will have to make a decision.  Take the FCC and OBC again, or get a refund.  The original funds that were used with gift cards will be issued back to us in another gift card, and remaining $$ will be refunded to the form of payment used.

On 1/16/2021 at 5:00 PM, WhiteOptima said:

Wow!  Your cruise in September is cancelled?  🤦‍♀️ We have an October 31st Panama and I just know it won’t happen and makes me 😞 

There was a blanket cancellation out to April, then "some" cruises out to September - depends on which region/which ship. I was booked on Legend out of Rome in September, but they've  cancelled that particular cruise to re-do the schedule. Legend is going back to doing west coast-Hawaii I think?