Grand Bus STRANDS passengers 2/11/06

organizedhome

Obviously the RIGHT thing for Princess to do is step up and compensate all these bus passengers for their travel costs getting to the correct airport and finding replacement flights for those that were missed. But a part of me wonders if Princess won't hide behind section 18 of the passage contract where they disclaim all responsibility for third party contractors. If they are withholding medical reports...it makes me wonder.

Texasmom,

Gotcha. I'll definitely look out for that. There has been a lot of speculation on our roll call about where our check-in is. As of the last communique from Princess, they are telling us to come to the pier after 1 or 1:30 because of the conjestion. Hopefully that will hold true, but you never know!

what a monumental screwup. i think the root cause of all of this is because cruising is so popular right now. they don't have to care, because the ships will still sail full.

someone said 'good luck getting reimbursed'. indeed, you're going to need it.

A decade or so ago I predicted that eventually major corporations will be reduced to a PO box and a bunch of overpaid good old boys in the board room. Everything else will have been outsourced because they will have figured out that they really have no core competancies. Typically, outsourcing goes to the low bidder. Corporations can outsource all they want, but will still share in the responsibility and liability.

On the Princess transfer I took to Hobby, even though the bus was full, we just sat until the powers that be said to go. The driver did not seem terribly familiar with the route to Hobby, but we did get there without a city tour.

I still do not understand why Princess mixes Hobby and Bush passengers on the same bus.

As a result of the delayed departure and the mis-routing of passengers, even more missed their flights than would have otherwise.

As a clarification, I was NOT on the big turn cruise - I was on the Christmas Eve - NYE cruise that was several hours late back to Galveston causing all kinds of flights to be missed, but it was further compounded by the airport transfer SNAFU.

But I will certainly cruise again and again. Have another in less than 60 days. :D

Wow!! So glad you all made it home safely considering you obviously had a less then competent driver and van service.

We had a limo service take care of the driving when we cruised several weeks ago because sadly we had heard of past hardships using Princess transfers, we also do our own flight arrangements and not go through cruiseair. Years ago (before knowing about cc) we got a good suggestion from some old time traveling veterans to buy insurance from a third party not TA (cheaper better coverage), and make your own flight arrangements (usually cheaper and if not at least have flexibility of flights and airlines), and not count on transfers because cruiselines/airlines will always cram as many people in the vans at the cheapest cost to them not you.

Again I am so sorry to hear about your scary experience and so glad you are all safe, I hope Princess makes it right for all of you.

First of all, gosh- I'm so sorry you all had such a frustrating/semi-scary end to a difficult cruise. That said, can any on this thread give a first-hand recommendation of a limo service from Hobby? Someone mentioned Emerald, and I went to their website, filled out a request and never heard back from them. Thoughts? Recommendations?

First of all, gosh- I'm so sorry you all had such a frustrating/semi-scary end to a difficult cruise. That said, can any on this thread give a first-hand recommendation of a limo service from Hobby? Someone mentioned Emerald, and I went to their website, filled out a request and never heard back from them. Thoughts? Recommendations?

We used Anrgd limo service...anrgd.com

Our driver was waiting for us at the airport even though our original flight was cancelled due to weather and we did not come into Houston until several hours later, we called them the night before when we found out and told it would not be a problem. They keep track of your flights and know if they are late or early and make adjustments accordingly, as soon as we landed our driver called us to let us know where he would be holding a sign with our names on it, he had water waiting for us out in the car. They also keep track of when the cruiseships dock and call you on your cell phone when the ship docs and notify you where they are...very professional, we highly recommend this company.

Just a note to recommend Royal Carriages Limosine, Inc. We hired them to get us to the Grand from IAH, and they were superb.

http://www.royalcarriages.com

Our mistake was thinking we wanted to tour the Space Center before our 6:00 p.m. flight, so we booked the tour/transportation package on the ship. The tour was cancelled.

The transportation was aborted.

As for "compensation". Forget it! Princess doesn't care about refunding our money.

We're pursuing other alternatives, including a complaint to the Texas regulatory agencies governing charter transport, and the Port of Galveston. If they want to be a major cruise ship hub, they will have to deal with the issue of passengers who find their carriage contracts aren't honored--and find themselves dumped in the wrong place by renegade bus outfits.

Princess, of course, will be duly cc:'d on all such complaints. It's only in their best interest to be sure that their subcontractors have valid licenses and permits. Regulatory agencies are the ones interested in preventing this kind of occurrence, so that's where we're going.

Oh, and we'll be disputing the credit card charge for our transfers-that-didn't-happen. Self-help is the best help.

Ask houstoncrusiers2001----

I've never heard of a worse transfer! I thought we had a bad one in Galveston coming in on RCCL with an un-airconditioned bus and windows that didn't open, but yours takes the cake. We now take the Galveston Limo to and from either airport - scheduled times and good service. Nancy

We live in Houston,so we drive and park at EZCruise.When the ship was late getting in,we were forced to park in lot #2.It would not have been my first choice since it doesnt seem as secure as lot #1.We have used them many times with never any problems.

After we got in saturday,we had a hard time finding the sign.It seems they had only 1,and the guy was carrying it up and down looking for ppl.He saw me and came over and took my luggage to the wait spot.We then stood there until the bus showed up.They (EZ) contracted out with a Limo service and we took one of their shuttles back to the lot.The guy told us this was a first for them and he kept telling us over and over how sorry he was.But,with all the problems and then everyone trying to get out of the terminial and those coming in,it was a nightmare.

Im thankful I dont have to find travel to the airports,but from what Ive heard thru the years,take a limo company! Its not that much more than the transfers.

I know there were a lot of ppl that had to miss their flights.I guess they will force everyone to buy travel insurance if much more of this happens!

Dot

How awful having such an incompetent driver.

We were on the Grand a few weeks ago and had absolutely no problem. We rented a car at Hobby airport (Enterprise under $30 overnite one way, on a Friday, stayed at the wonderful Tremont Hotel (about $90 - booked online), took the Galveston Limo (van - only one other person onboard with capabilities of approximately 50, however it was on the Sunday since we stayed at the Tremont again Saturday night). You can walk to the Tremont from the pier if you have luggage on wheels. We got to Hobby in under an hour ($30pp one way, better deal roundtrip). Booked the Galveston Limo on line and received a confirmation number almost immediately. Also, we had never been to the Houston/Galveston area before and had absolutely no problem driving to Galveston from Hobby airport.

We learned many cruises ago not to take the overpriced Princess transfers, air fare or their insurance. We do all independently and after 15 Princess cruises find it the right way to go - for us at least.

Again, sorry to hear about the horrid end to an eventful, scary, cruise.

Whew! After over a 4 hour trip to the ship (from the time we got our luggage to the time we were walking into the terminal), and all of the incompetencies on the ship (from the high speed u-turn to the chaotic debarkation), I decided the hell with our Princess transfers and we jumped into a taxi. We got out of the terminal at 11:15, and had to get to IAH for a 1:27 flight. We made it with a few minutes to spare, and then got pulled to the side by the TSA agents. I ran to the gate to make sure they didn't close the door before my wife got there. It was the perfect end to the worst cruise I have ever taken.

We hired Hallmark Limo- well worth the money. Coming in from Hobby we thougth maybe it wasn't worth the money. BUT, there was a wreck on the hwy to both airports that shutdown the freeway. We knew we were missing our flight out of IAH and were able to use cell phones and get one out of Hobby at 4:30pm. Having our own driver allowed us the individual flexibility to change airports enroute-- it's alot of money, but it was WELL worth it!

Kay

Yes, we were on the 2/4 Grand Princess sailing. Not just a cruise, but an adventure (do we get charged extra for an adventure cruise:rolleyes: ).

Getting on the bus was not our best experience, I have to say!! It took an overly long time to load each bus, and there was no organization as to which bus went to which terminal, or any attempt to organize baggage iin

the bins to correlate the aiport terminal. After the bus was full, we sat at the cruise terminal for a good 20 minutes before leaving.

We got an earlier bus to IAH, and there was a major accident on the main highway going to IAH. Our driver gave us the option of taking a toll road to the airport (which we did), and while we got around the accident, we got the "scenic" tour of Houston. Luckily (again :rolleyes: ), our flight to DC was cancelled due to the weather.

I give our driver credit. Once we were underway, the driver seemed to do his best to get us to the airport. I cannot make any comments on other drivers - it varies driver to driver and the amount of time spent on this transfer is completely unacceptable.

However, on the way down to the cruise, our Princess transfer bus never showed. We reached the airport on time and didn't find a Princess rep, so called Princess directly. They said they had our flight info on file and that the bus should be there, but if it didn't, to call them back. After an hour, we called Princess again and they apologized and told us to take a cab and they'd reimburse us once on the ship. We did grab a cab and they did reimburse us.

While Princess contracts out the transfers, they are ultimately responsible for the transfer issues. In our case, we were okay, but many were not.

Overall, I wouldn't book a Princess cruise transfer again. I'm more than happy to make my own plans for transfers.

Happy cruising!!

Wow, organizedhome - and I thought I had it bad! I stood in the sun & wind for over an hour waiting to board the Princess shuttle. Then we waited on the bus for over a half hour while they loaded luggage. There was no sense of any urgency by the people doing the boarding. Nearly everyone on the bus missed their flights. The wait on Continental's 800 number was so long that I called my son at home to rebook for me. I used my time on the bus to start drafting my letter to Princess. Thanks for the address, ZGirl. I hope EVERYONE writes a letter to Princess. I will NEVER book a Princess transfer again.

I have to say, though, that I had a great time on the cruise from Sunday to Friday. Most of the crew were great - well, except for the people on the bridge who decided to do that dangerous of a turn without warning passengers and crew.

It will be interesting to see what Princess's response is.

We hired Hallmark Limo- well worth the money. Coming in from Hobby we thougth maybe it wasn't worth the money. BUT, there was a wreck on the hwy to both airports that shutdown the freeway. We knew we were missing our flight out of IAH and were able to use cell phones and get one out of Hobby at 4:30pm. Having our own driver allowed us the individual flexibility to change airports enroute-- it's alot of money, but it was WELL worth it!

Kay

From the Princess Passage Contract that everyone receives before sailing.

18. CARRIER IS AGENT ONLY FOR OTHER TRANSPORTATION, EXCURSIONS AND SHORESIDE SERVICES.

In selling tickets (including coupons or vouchers) or otherwise making arrangements for air, land or local water transportation, or shore excursions, tours or shoreside accommodations and meals, Carrier acts only as an agent for other service companies who provide such services as independent contractors. You agree that Carrier will not be liable in any way for and You release Carrier from any loss, death, injury, delay, or damage to person or property or disappointment arising from or in connection with such services. Any liability for such services will be governed by the terms and conditions of the passage contract and the other contracts and/or tariffs between You and such service companies. A service company shall have the benefit of every defense to which Carrier is entitled under this Passage Contract.

Organizedhome wrote:

"There was no need. She finally reached Hobby FOUR FULL HOURS after leaving Galevston. She stopped the bus. She pulled out the luggage. She complained to the police, and then she drove away."

You mean she didn't wait for a tip? :D

Sorry about your rough trip.

John

Seeing this cruise line enter "full legal defensive mode" while onboard, refusing to release medical records to those passengers injured in the "Incident" was shocking.

Your physician husband should have told you that medical records do not belong to the patient - they belong to the physician... :) I'll bet my next cruise that, once patients sign the appropriate HIPAA releases and send them in to the cruise line, they will be able to get copies of their records. It's this kind of "rumor" that causes so many problems...

I meant if there were three ships in port on the 25th, is ship check-in at the Hotel Galvez? If your driver drops you at the Galvez to check in, you will have to catch a Princess bus to the pier. It may cost extra but it would be nice if your driver would wait and drive you to the pier.

What a good idea - we have a limo scheduled and I would never have thought to have the driver stick around after dropping us off to check in. Will definately do so. Thanks!!

Archived