Non-refundable deposits if cruise cancelled by ship or Govt regulations

Hi everyone,

Like many of you, I lost quite a lot last year during the pandemic and cancelled trips.

I want to support the industry once there is a "normal" environment to travel again.

I am wondering if anyone knows if I book a non-refundable deposit price, if for some reason the cruise was cancelled either by the cruise company, or other government directives, would i still get my deposit back?

It would not simply be a change of mind, but out of my control (as with the pandemic and bookings last year).

Would also be happy enough with a credit if it was cancelled or prohibited to attend.

Thanks

3 minutes ago, Sallyandtex said:

Hi everyone,

Like many of you, I lost quite a lot last year during the pandemic and cancelled trips.

I want to support the industry once there is a "normal" environment to travel again.

I am wondering if anyone knows if I book a non-refundable deposit price, if for some reason the cruise was cancelled either by the cruise company, or other government directives, would i still get my deposit back?

It would not simply be a change of mind, but out of my control (as with the pandemic and bookings last year).

Would also be happy enough with a credit if it was cancelled or prohibited to attend.

Thanks

You should get deposit back, but again depends on the cruise line and whether or not you booked direct with the cruiseline or via travel agent. As you have read on here, so many variables.

As NSWP says, it may depend on the cruise line although some of them have been offering a choice - straight deposit back, or a Future Cruise Credit with a bit extra. We had that situation with Cunard, however it took several months after the cruise was cancelled for the FCCs to show up in our accounts. In fact it was just over a month after the embarkation date of the cancelled cruise.

I suggest booking direct with the cruise line as some TAs are holding on to refunds for an unreasonable length of time.

• Like 2

Just now, NSWP said:

You should get deposit back, but again depends on the cruise line and whether or not you booked direct with the cruiseline or via travel agent. As you have read on here, so many variables.

Thanks.

Yes I will always book direct from now on, lesson learned.

2 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

As NSWP says, it may depend on the cruise line although some of them have been offering a choice - straight deposit back, or a Future Cruise Credit with a bit extra. We had that situation with Cunard, however it took several months after the cruise was cancelled for the FCCs to show up in our accounts. In fact it was just over a month after the embarkation date of the cancelled cruise.

I suggest booking direct with the cruise line as some TAs are holding on to refunds for an unreasonable length of time.

Yes true, my TA kept  "unrecoverable" commission of $750 after refunded by HAL 😞

Even though I had chosen the cruise and cabin number and had to chase up for my refund myself.

15 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Last paragraph, sound advice.

12 minutes ago, Sallyandtex said:

Yes true, my TA kept  "unrecoverable" commission of $750 after refunded by HAL 😞

Even though I had chosen the cruise and cabin number and had to chase up for my refund myself.

Rogues.

Totally agree with the advice to book direct rather than a TA regardless of what 'perks' they offer you. 

Last year I ended up having to do a credit card chargeback to get back $5k from a TA for a HAL cruise after 6 months of trying. 

And because we cancelled before the cruise itself was cancelled (sailing was in May in Europe, we cancelled in March before fees were 50%), they still wanted the non-refundable deposit. We accepted this to save the hassle, then last month I got a nasty email from them chasing even more due to the chargeback. They shall not get another dime. 

I'm sure there are decent TA's out there, but it's hard to feel any sympathy for their troubles or buy their argument that the service they offer is 'peace of mind' 🙄

• Like 1