Arvia Registery

joeecco

We are keeping our eyes peeled for any announcement regarding where Arvia is going to be registered. Have asked P&O staff directly but they are not yet sure as they won’t tell frontline staff until just before the announcement and those staff haven’t got a definite answer. 

Wonder if anyone has heard any inside info? 

Also, as soon as anyone sees confirmation could you Please post it here in case we miss it!

The reason we are interested is that ships registered in Southampton cannot hold weddings onboard so we are hoping

for Hamilton, Bermuda! 

Edited by joeecco
Just to clarify the P&O staff line

I think if P&O don't know anything anyone else says is hearsay. I am led to believe that Iona and Arvia were to be registered in Britain.

Obviously you have told you can't have a wedding on a British registered ship, why is that when you can have a wedding pretty much anywhere now?

1 minute ago, yorkshirephil said:

I think if P&O don't know anything anyone else says is hearsay. I am led to believe that Iona and Arvia were to be registered in Britain.

Obviously you have told you can't have a wedding on a British registered ship, why is that when you can have a wedding pretty much anywhere now?

Sorry I wasn’t clear, the ceremony ladies said that they personally don’t know and that they wouldn’t find out until just before it’s announced. But the higher level staff will be involved in this decision so was wondering if anyone has heard anything from top management etc. 

I asked if they were planning to register her the same as Iona and the lady said that’s not how it works, she said the decision will be made specifically for each ship and she said that in her opinion it’s likely to be Bermuda as it won’t be homeporting in the U.K. but she said that was just her thinking and not a company the companies. 

UK registered ships are only allowed to perform blessings and not official weddings, I’m not sure for the exact reason why but it’s a U.K. maritime thing, not just P&O.

Britannia and Iona are registered in Southampton but the rest of the fleet are Bermuda. Britannia was supposed to be registered in Bermuda and actually had Hamilton painted on her Stern and lifeboats but was changed last minute before arrival into Southampton for an unknown reason. 

Azura was also registered in Southampton originally but later changed to Bermuda.  

Seems very confusing! 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

In the UK now, all Wedding Venues have to be licensed for wedding ceremonies, so I guess there is an issue in licensing a venue that most of the time is not actually in the UK.

Regarding Britannia specifically, I would imagine that P&O are aware that they could be accused of hypocrisy by registering that name overseas...

As the name Arvia doesn't have any specific link with the UK, unless P&O have made a corporate decision to now register ships at home, maybe they will register her in Hamilton???

It would make much more sense for the Government to change our system so that UK registered ships could carry out Marriage and Civil Partnership ceremonies.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, besberry said:

I thought they usually registered in Southampton for the first few years and then changed it later.

I could be wrong but I don't think Arcadia or Ventura were ever registered in the UK. Azura was UK registered for about a year before being re-registered in Hamilton.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2021 at 3:28 PM, Britboys said:

I could be wrong but I don't think Arcadia or Ventura were ever registered in the UK. Azura was UK registered for about a year before being re-registered in Hamilton.

You're probably right Andrew.