Stacking Discounts

First post here on the site; no hate please, just looking for advice and trying to save money.

I've only cruised Carnival in the past and would like a little less of a party vibe (and better food). I have been drawn to Royal Caribbean's Allure of the Seas, which I think was recently upgraded, but still has the best prices out of their biggest ships. I'm trying to figure out the best approach to booking. I don't mind a little extra work, as long as it all works out in the end. I'm hoping to tie my booking with 1 or 2 other bookings from family members, though I know that nearby cabins are never guaranteed if I pick the cheapest cabin option.

Here are the facts I have gathered.

* Booking directly with RC always provides the best initial price, when using either the ALLABOARD or WELCOME promo codes ($50 savings).

* Booking directly with RC allows for payment with RC gift cards, which can be purchased at a 5% discount ($60+ savings).

* Booking directly with RC provides a price guarantee, where any price drops between now and the "final payment" date will be applied or given as onboard credit. Is this still an option if I pay in full (or mostly in full) early?

* Booking through a TA web site that rhymes with "MiceLine" (not sure if I'm allowed to mention names) offers a $100 onboard credit, plus a certain cashback web site gives 4% cashback on this particular web site ($60+ savings).

* The big TA web sites don't seem to offer any meaningful price drop protection, so once I transfer, I guess I'm stuck with whatever price I have locked in.

I know bookings can be transferred from RC to a TA, but details are vague. It seems it has to be done before the cruise is fully paid for, but is the original price locked in? Can I book through RC, use the promo code, pay 95% using gift cards, then transfer the booking to the TA site and keep the same price while getting the onboard credit deal? I'm assuming there's no realistic way to both pay with RC gift cards and get the TA's cashback offer...

Bottom line: I guess the ideal scenario in my brain is this. Book this weekend on RC's website; hopefully with a $100 flash sale. Pay for 95% up front using gift cards (if possible). Track the price for 50 days and lock in any price drops, also tie family members' bookings together. After 50 days, transfer booking to TA site to get onboard credit offer and permanently lock in price.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

My head is swimming, maybe @Ourusualbeachknows more.

No matter who you book with the price drops should be the same, dont know about paying with gift cards and getting obc rather than a refund to your credit card prior to final payment as I have not seen this on any cruiseline. Maybe the cards can be changed to obc if price drops you mean.

The site I think you mean, beware it also has a change and cancel fee. ..discounts are great, but read the fine print if there are extra changes if there is a change to your booking.

The sale right now is pretty good and I just saw a great price for may 1st 2022 on liberty when I looked, wouldnt get cheaper., $8xx solo, as good as it gets. If you see  great price grab it. Flash sales tend to be for closer in dates.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

My head is swimming, maybe @Ourusualbeachknows more.

No matter who you book with the price drops should be the same, dont know about paying with gift cards and getting obc rather than a refund to your credit card prior to final payment as I have not seen this on any cruiseline. Maybe the cards can be changed to obc if price drops you mean.

The site I think you mean, beware it also has a change and cancel fee. ..discounts are great, but read the fine print if there are extra changes if there is a change to your booking.

The sale right now is pretty good and I just saw a great price for may 1st 2022 on liberty when I looked, wouldnt get cheaper., $8xx solo, as good as it gets. If you see  great price grab it. Flash sales tend to be for closer in dates.

Thanks for the response, good points about using gift cards. From what I've seen and heard the last few weeks, RC tends to have:

1. A base cruise price that shifts day to day.

2. Monthly sales like "60% off second person" that last the entire month.

3. Flash sales every weekend (Friday-ish to Monday-ish) that range from $50 to $100 off.

4. A promo code that can be applied for $50 any time.

Getting the first 3 variables to line up optimally is tricky. I had the 8-night January Allure cruise at $560/person for 2 people a couple of weeks ago, pre-tax. Should have pulled the trigger then, but I had no idea that it bounced around so much!

Cruise.jpg

Edited by syopachios
Add image

1 minute ago, syopachios said:

Thanks for the response, good points about using gift cards. From what I've seen and heard the last few weeks, RC tends to have:

1. A base cruise price that shifts day to day.

2. Monthly sales like "60% off second person" that last the entire month.

3. Flash sales every weekend (Friday-ish to Monday-ish) that range from $50 to $100 off.

4. A promo code that can be applied for $50 any time.

Getting the first 3 variables to line up optimally is tricky. I had the 8-night January Allure cruise at $560/person for 2 people a couple of weeks ago, pre-tax. Should have pulled the trigger then, but I had no idea that it bounced around so much!

I dont think there is a base price and sales dont last a month but they do seem to bounce between 60% off the first pax, or 30% off both cruises, which is effectively the same thing. The other stuff comes and goes but prices seem headed up more than down. That may 1st was just a random drop, imo because the old double pts ended the end of april 2022. As did lift and shift. So may 1st I've seen some deals, even alaska.

Booking thru a ta or direct is the same price, though a ta might have group prices that are lower, so unless there is something about those gift cards, booking direct has no advantage. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, syopachios said:

I have been drawn to Royal Caribbean's Allure of the Seas, which I think was recently upgraded,

Just as a heads up that Allure only had a mechanical dry dock due to Covid. She did not get the further amplification that she was expected to have in regards to slides and venues etc

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Just as a heads up that Allure only had a mechanical dry dock due to Covid. She did not get the further amplification that she was expected to have in regards to slides and venues etc

Yikes, that's bad news. The web site is not very clear, and the RC booking agent I spoke with had no idea, so I just assumed it had happened as scheduled. I'm guessing they haven't rescheduled the upgrade yet?

4 minutes ago, syopachios said:

Yikes, that's bad news. The web site is not very clear, and the RC booking agent I spoke with had no idea, so I just assumed it had happened as scheduled. I'm guessing they haven't rescheduled the upgrade yet?

It won't be anytime soon.  They have cut back on that kind of spending

• Like 1

1 minute ago, syopachios said:

No, I meant to say it hadn't been amped lol but too many pts you asked.

Oasis was amped not allure. ..though I'm glad. I dont want that abyss blocking my view from my last boardwalk balcony of the dive shows. 

Oasis pre amp was fabulous, you wouldnt be disappointed imo. I have both booked allure and oasis. 

What I meant is the base cruise price is always changing. It might be $500 pp today, $600 tomorrow, prices go up and sometimes down.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, syopachios said:

First post here on the site; no hate please, just looking for advice and trying to save money.

I've only cruised Carnival in the past and would like a little less of a party vibe (and better food). I have been drawn to Royal Caribbean's Allure of the Seas, which I think was recently upgraded, but still has the best prices out of their biggest ships. I'm trying to figure out the best approach to booking. I don't mind a little extra work, as long as it all works out in the end. I'm hoping to tie my booking with 1 or 2 other bookings from family members, though I know that nearby cabins are never guaranteed if I pick the cheapest cabin option.

Here are the facts I have gathered.

* Booking directly with RC always provides the best initial price, when using either the ALLABOARD or WELCOME promo codes ($50 savings).

* Booking directly with RC allows for payment with RC gift cards, which can be purchased at a 5% discount ($60+ savings).

* Booking directly with RC provides a price guarantee, where any price drops between now and the "final payment" date will be applied or given as onboard credit. Is this still an option if I pay in full (or mostly in full) early?

* Booking through a TA web site that rhymes with "MiceLine" (not sure if I'm allowed to mention names) offers a $100 onboard credit, plus a certain cashback web site gives 4% cashback on this particular web site ($60+ savings).

* The big TA web sites don't seem to offer any meaningful price drop protection, so once I transfer, I guess I'm stuck with whatever price I have locked in.

I know bookings can be transferred from RC to a TA, but details are vague. It seems it has to be done before the cruise is fully paid for, but is the original price locked in? Can I book through RC, use the promo code, pay 95% using gift cards, then transfer the booking to the TA site and keep the same price while getting the onboard credit deal? I'm assuming there's no realistic way to both pay with RC gift cards and get the TA's cashback offer...

Bottom line: I guess the ideal scenario in my brain is this. Book this weekend on RC's website; hopefully with a $100 flash sale. Pay for 95% up front using gift cards (if possible). Track the price for 50 days and lock in any price drops, also tie family members' bookings together. After 50 days, transfer booking to TA site to get onboard credit offer and permanently lock in price.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

FYI

Depending on the category you are booking many TA's have group rates that are less than Royals pricing

Just so you know that Royals default pricing is for a non refundable deposit.  If you want a refundable deposit it will cost more.  You need to go all the way through the booking process to see how much extra the refundable rates are 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Ourusualbeach said:

FYI

Depending on the category you are booking many TA's have group rates that are less than Royals pricing

Just so you know that Royals default pricing is for a non refundable deposit.  If you want a refundable deposit it will cost more.  You need to go all the way through the booking process to see how much extra the refundable rates are 

Great point. It's probably worth going through a TA just go check group pricing and handle tying related bookings together.