Alaska 2021

masscruiser2010

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

I agree with you. I think the "ship excursions only" is a temporary thing due to today's circumstances.

Yes, Barbara Muckermann has made it clear that this is only for as long as countries' governments/local authorities require it, which she hopes will be a relatively short period of time as cruising resumes; it is not something Silversea feels they need to impose, because everyone onboard is vaccinated. 

5 hours ago, worldtraveller99 said:

I'm sure it can't be permanent. And what if an excursion is 4 hours long but the ship is in port for 8 hours? They can't confine you to barracks for the rest of the time!?

Actually, they can and will while these restrictions are in place.

The restrictions are destination driven - it's what the countries that the ship visits require. AFAIK all the Med itineraries on the Moon are SS excursion only to go ashore for now, no doubt that'll change when circumstances allow.

If the only way off a ship in port is to be on a ship excursion that is a deal breaker for me, which is why I have cancelled my round UK Spirit cruise in September (SS cannot guarantee going ashore independently) and have booked one of the Muse Alaska itineraries in August.

This is from SS for the Muse Alaska itineraries:

In accordance with CDC’s latest guidelines, fully vaccinated guests wishing to go ashore in each port will be allowed to do so independently or participate in a shore excursion with no restrictions. 

P.S. This is from the SS website for the Moon Med itineraries:

In accordance with the EU Healthy Gateways, guests wishing to go ashore in port will only be allowed to do so with a verified shore excursion party.

Edited by jollyjones