Alaska 2021

masscruiser2010

Barbara Muckermann said on the live Silversea Passengers Facebook Group meeting yesterday that for 2021 they will do a series of 10 day return trips out of Seattle, starting in July. 

I sincerely trust they go back to their 7 day one way trips to and from Seward in 2022 - because we have already paid for that, plus other hotels in Vancouver, and in Alaska following the cruise. Apart from not wanting to pay £1000 a day extra just for extra sea days!!! a return trip to Seattle is no good for us at all.

If the 7 night trip starts in Seattle and not Vancouver, that is not a problem for us, because we can fly to Seattle from Vancouver the morning of the cruise and still stay with our already paid-for itinerary. It is the longer round trip which would be a problem.

Have you heard anything more re 2022?

21 hours ago, Lois R said:

They have not posted the itinerary or the prices yet.  It is quite easy to use but the information isn't there yet.........that is why you can't find it.  I think it will be updated again sometime this week.

Thank you for the information!

Good morning.........the 2021 Alaska itineraries are now available..........cruises are from July 29th thought Sept 19th........the last cruise is 9/10 to 9/19

I just checked out the new Alaska voyages on SS website.  Fares are pricey with 4 days at sea and only offering a small fraction of the excursions normally offered, none of which are included in the fare.  They skip Seward, so no Hubbard Glacier or optional Denali package.  I wonder if many of the normally offered land excursions are still closed or operating at reduced capacity.   I guess if you are anxious to get back to cruising or have been to Alaska before, this option is good for you, but for us it's a strong incentive to wait until 2022 or beyond to book our first Alaska cruise.

That's what I thought CruzinFeraBruzin. I guess Seattle is a lot longer away from Alaska than Vancouver is? 2 sea days e.w.? So I have said to my T.A. that if they cannot make our original itinerary 7 day 1-way cruise Vancouver to Seward in 2022 (paid for in 2018, sob) I will take the cash refund. That was/is going to be my first cruise, so still hoping. Just need Canada to open up in time! I have never waited so long to buy my flights!

2 minutes ago, worldtraveller99 said:

That's what I thought CruzinFeraBruzin. I guess Seattle is a lot longer away from Alaska than Vancouver is? 2 sea days e.w.? So I have said to my T.A. that if they cannot make our original itinerary 7 day 1-way cruise Vancouver to Seward in 2022 (paid for in 2018, sob) I will take the cash refund. That was/is going to be my first cruise, so still hoping. Just need Canada to open up in time! I have never waited so long to buy my flights!

Hi🙂...the 7 day cruises (the one you booked) are being done in 2022........I think these few cruises are just a pre-emptive set........spoke with my SS rep about it today. They cannot do anything to Vancouver at this point and I don't think anyone knows at what point Canada will be re-opened.

5 hours ago, CruzinFeraBruzin said:

I just checked out the new Alaska voyages on SS website.  Fares are pricey with 4 days at sea and only offering a small fraction of the excursions normally offered, none of which are included in the fare.  They skip Seward, so no Hubbard Glacier or optional Denali package.  I wonder if many of the normally offered land excursions are still closed or operating at reduced capacity.   I guess if you are anxious to get back to cruising or have been to Alaska before, this option is good for you, but for us it's a strong incentive to wait until 2022 or beyond to book our first Alaska cruise.

Not the most exciting itinerary for some of the cruises.  But, it is what it is; maybe be thankful that there is something available for those that are interested?  

I note "wait list" for some of the itineraries.  

I hope a Canadian can answer this question.  I think that I've read that non-Canadian passenger ships - even small pleasure craft, can't sail in Canadian waters at all. That lets out using the Inside Passage to Alaska & would require the Muse to use the outside of Vancouver Island for transit. Is that true? Sadly that lets out a lot of very pretty scenery & increases the chance for bumpy seas.  Lots of large cruise ships sail on 7 day itinerary Alaska cruises from Seattle every year so this itinerary is certainly better.

17 hours ago, nowornever said:

I hope a Canadian can answer this question.  I think that I've read that non-Canadian passenger ships - even small pleasure craft, can't sail in Canadian waters at all. That lets out using the Inside Passage to Alaska & would require the Muse to use the outside of Vancouver Island for transit. Is that true? Sadly that lets out a lot of very pretty scenery & increases the chance for bumpy seas.  Lots of large cruise ships sail on 7 day itinerary Alaska cruises from Seattle every year so this itinerary is certainly better.

You're right about this. Can't even take a sailboat up near Vancouver Island or the Canadian San Juans. So the cruise will miss going inside Vancouver Island but will still get most of the gorgeous Inside Passage further north. 

I'm sure these cruises are super-popular, but I would rather do a one-way itinerary for maximum chances of glacier viewing.

On 6/8/2021 at 2:16 PM, FauxNom said:

ou're right about this. Can't even take a sailboat up near Vancouver Island or the Canadian San Juans

This restriction is what I don't understand as to how the Alaska cruises sailing from Seattle are going to legally sail.  In the Strait of San Juan de Fuca, the traffic scheme requires outbound ships to the Pacific to sail on the Canadian side of the waterway with a Canadian pilot.  As I understand it, this would be forbidden by the Canadian Government for those cruise ships sailing from Seattle.  

There must be something of which I am unaware.  Or, is this going to be a case of "a wink and nod" by the Canadian government?  

Can't imagine that there isn't a plan because Holland America, Princess & RCL (?) are all scheduled to sail from SEA.  Surely they wouldn't commit ships with thousands of pax without prior approval.  But it's an interesting scenario.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

This restriction is what I don't understand as to how the Alaska cruises sailing from Seattle are going to legally sail.  In the Strait of San Juan de Fuca, the traffic scheme requires outbound ships to the Pacific to sail on the Canadian side of the waterway with a Canadian pilot.  As I understand it, this would be forbidden by the Canadian Government for those cruise ships sailing from Seattle.  

There must be something of which I am unaware.  Or, is this going to be a case of "a wink and nod" by the Canadian government?  

Interesting point! See below what I found on the government website. Canada forbids boating in Canadian waters unless "exempt".  I'm guessing commercial shipping is exempt, but I imagine a cruise line could argue for going inside Vancouver Island under the navigation allowance below for a route that is direct, continuous and reasonable, as long as the ship doesn't stop: 

You currently cannot enter Canadian waters for optional reasons, such as:

• touring
  • sightseeing
  • pleasure fishing

You may still navigate through international or Canadian waters while in transit directly from one place outside Canada to another place outside Canada, if the transit is:

• direct
  • continuous/uninterrupted
  • by the most reasonable route

Edited by FauxNom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/10/2021 at 11:53 AM, FauxNom said:

You may still navigate through international or Canadian waters while in transit directly from one place outside Canada to another place outside Canada, if the transit is:

• direct
  • continuous/uninterrupted
  • by the most reasonable route

That must be the loophole for cruises sailing from Seattle.  

My question about whether a Canadian pilot that has been required during the outbound trip from Seattle is required remains unanswered.  Maybe this is the "wink and nod" that ignores that usual "requirement"?  

21 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Since when have Canadian pilots been required for departing Seattle?

They have been required for many years because the ships departing Seattle traveling through the Strait of Juan de Fuca enroute to the Pacific Ocean must adhere to the maritime traffic scheme that has been internationally recognized for many years.  Part of the path the ships take are in Canadian waters and require a Canadian Pilot to be embarked prior to beginning that route.  It is my understanding that the Pilot joins the ship as it enters Canadian waters.  The person is not on the ship when it sails from Pier 91 or 66.  

When a ship returns to Seattle through the same waterway, it sails solely in American waters and does not then require the assistance of a Canadian pilot.  

Again, this is due to the maritime traffic scheme in that heavily traveled waterway that has been in effect for many, many years.  

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, nowornever said:

this is such good information - thank you RKA.

You are welcome.  But, I must mention my teacher on CC:  Heidi13.  

What I have learned about this topic is because of what he has taught.  If he finds this thread and finds I need a remedial lesson or more, I hope he will provide it.  

I was considering the Muse for an Alaska sailing in August but in doing research I discovered that there will be no included excursions until the 2022 Alaska sailings.  That is a disappointment.

51 minutes ago, amusea said:

I was considering the Muse for an Alaska sailing in August but in doing research I discovered that there will be no included excursions until the 2022 Alaska sailings.  That is a disappointment.

Considering the per diem, yes, it is quite a disappointment.  Alaska is traditionally one of the less inexpensive fares when there are not excursions included due to sheer amount of competition there.  Definitely not a fan of included excursions.

And definitely not a fan of "no going ashore independently, SS excursions only" as is the case for the Moon sailings in the Med this summer.

That is the immediate appeal of these Alaska cruises - because of CDC guidelines for the USA, pax (who are of course vaccinated) can get off the ship and explore on their own. (I'm not a fan of organised excursions at all) Also no mask wearing on board.

So, I have cancelled my UK Spirit cruise in Sept and booked one of these Alaska cruises - six years since I last cruised in Alaska, def time to return.

After not cruising for nearly two years and cancelling nine cruises, do you think I care what the per diem is?

(Actually it's not so bad for a solo as it's only 25% solo supplement)

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 1

No independent travel on and off the ship in port would mean sadly no more cruising with Silversea after 23 years of enjoyment doing our own thing.Sorry but not a fan of excursions from the ship.Hope the new regulation is not permanent so we can return to luxury cruising with SS when guests could do what they wanted,when they wanted and with whom they wanted including all the dining arrangements on board !

45 minutes ago, worldtraveller99 said:

I'm sure it can't be permanent. And what if an excursion is 4 hours long but the ship is in port for 8 hours? They can't confine you to barracks for the rest of the time!?

I agree with you. I think the "ship excursions only" is a temporary thing due to today's circumstances.

• Like 1