Galapagos Advice Needed

bethtex

Looking at Galapagos cruises in 2022

The Xpedition is considerably cheaper than Flora or Xploration.  If anyone has been on both, what are the pros & cons of each ship?  Xpedition is much smaller and I wonder how that impacts the experience.  Though Flora and Xploration are only 100 pax, so still really small.  Is there any entertainment or evening programming?

What are main differences between Northern Loop, Southern Loop, Inner Loop and Outer Loop?  They all look fantastic!!  

We are youngish and would like to kayak, snorkel, hike, etc if available.

any and all advice appreciated!!

Beth

Just in case these details are important to you: Xploration has only 8 cabins and thus can carry 16 passengers max. All things being equal, it is usually the cheapest option of the three Celebrity Galapagos ships (with Flora being the most expensive).  

Xpedition is licensed by Ecuador to carry only 48 passengers for the Galapagos even though she has enough cabins to carry around 100 passengers which I find to be attractive. 

I have booked my family of 4 on Xpedition in 2023 and am very much looking forward to it. 

Edited by mahdnc

I was on the Xpedition (inner) in May 2019, it was a great experience and a good ship. A bit rustic but hey its the Galapagos.

We did the inner, warmer water and more snorkeling. I don't recall any kayaking offered. They had a hard time getting me out of the water, so beautiful to swim with so may fishes, penguins, turtles and iguanas and sharks.

We had 96 people on board then and it was good and had great dinners on deck at night.

Would love to go back after I finish my cruise bucket list to experience the outer on the Flora.

2 hours ago, mahdnc said:

Just in case these details are important to you: Xploration has only 8 cabins and thus can carry 16 passengers max. All things being equal, it is usually the cheapest option of the three Celebrity Galapagos ships (with Flora being the most expensive).  

Xpedition is licensed by Ecuador to carry only 48 passengers for the Galapagos even though she has enough cabins to carry around 100 passengers which I find to be attractive. 

I have booked my family of 4 on Xpedition in 2023 and am very much looking forward to it. 

Hey Dave,

We were on Xped in 2012 and loved it...even though the ship with just out of drydock and they were still building the suites.  Tell you more about it when I meet you on the holiday cruise.  For the OP, we did what they called the B itinerary back then.  It was fabulous.  Included Sullivan Bay and an impromtu race: panga vs. pod of orca.  Flora was only a concept back then...but I can tell you it's not about the ship.  Two excursions a day will leave you knocked out.

• Like 1

sorry - got the Xpedition and Xploration mixed up.  

looks like Xploration is 16 pax, Xpedition is 48 pax and Flora is 100 pax.

so inner loop is a little warmer & more snorkeling?  that sounds so cool to be swimming with those amazing animals!  

Edited by bethtex
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, bethtex said:

Looking at Galapagos cruises in 2022

The Xpedition is considerably cheaper than Flora or Xploration.  If anyone has been on both, what are the pros & cons of each ship?  Xpedition is much smaller and I wonder how that impacts the experience.  Though Flora and Xploration are only 100 pax, so still really small.  Is there any entertainment or evening programming?

What are main differences between Northern Loop, Southern Loop, Inner Loop and Outer Loop?  They all look fantastic!!  

We are youngish and would like to kayak, snorkel, hike, etc if available.

any and all advice appreciated!!

Beth

Howdy Beth from a fellow Texan!  emo22.gif

There are pinned threads (aka Stickies) on the Celebrity Flora Roll Calls forum titled Recently returned on Flora and on the Celebrity Xpedition Roll Calls forum titled Xpedition - Anyone recently back? PART 3 that you might want to read. Both threads are for Cruise Critic members that have sailed on Flora or Xpedition to communicate their experiences, post pics and answer questions. Perhaps something in those two threads will help you with some of the information you seek.  emo34.gif  

I hope this will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

• Like 1