Princess PVP insurance no longer available to NY residents

vjmatty

13 hours ago, caribill said:

The new NY rules say that CFAR is not insurance and thus although it can be sold, it cannot be part of an insurance policy.

The Princess insurance policy includes CFAR and thus is now not allowed by NY.

So this means that only the Princess  Platinum Vacation Protection will be prohibited. I’m guessing that the Princess Standard Vacation Protection, which has no CFAR coverage,  will still be allowed in NY.

3 hours ago, vjmatty said:

So this means that only the Princess  Platinum Vacation Protection will be prohibited. I’m guessing that the Princess Standard Vacation Protection, which has no CFAR coverage,  will still be allowed in NY.

If you read https://www.princess.com/plan/princess-vacation-protection/

you will see about half way down the page the disclaimer :

"Note that Princess Vacation Protection is not available to residents of the state of New York, Quebec, Puerto Rico, or Mexico."

Edited by brisalta

5 hours ago, Syracusefan44 said:

Thank you.  I contacted Princess directly and the representative was very helpful in processing the transactions and making a notation on each of my six voyages in 2021, 2022, and 2023 that the payments were to be applied to my PVP.  

I answered your post on the Cruise/Travel board, but I did not quote your question so you did not get a notification. I don’t know if you’ve seen my post yet.

It looks you did what I suggested anyway and have found a satisfactory solution. Glad you were able to get that settled in a timely manner.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2021 at 6:38 PM, NavyVeteran said:

Princess Vacation Protection has always been different for New York State residents. I just looked at an old PVP brochure from several years ago. In every state but New York, the Cancellation Fee Waiver Program  was not insurance and was not underwritten by an insurance company - it was a Passage Contract Addendum provided directly by Princess Cruises. In other words, no one reimbursed Princess for cash refunds for specified reasons. For New York residents, this coverage was underwritten by Stonebridge Casualty Insurance Company, so the insurance company - not Princess - provided the cash refunds.

It is my understanding that the CFAR isn’t really insurance. It is a courtesy provided by Princess in the form of FCC, not cash. It just gives you a voucher for something you’ve already paid for.

The cancellation and medical/evacuation provisions are part of the insurance underwritten by the insurance company. It pays a cash reimbursement for specified reasons. Princess is not involved in the claims process and does not pay for any losses. It just sells a cruise-line branded policy underwritten and administered by someone else. 

6 hours ago, vjmatty said:

3 hours ago, brisalta said:

If you read https://www.princess.com/plan/princess-vacation-protection/

you will see about half way down the page the disclaimer :

"Note that Princess Vacation Protection is not available to residents of the state of New York, Quebec, Puerto Rico, or Mexico."

Princess Standard Vacation Protection also has CFAR coverage - not just Platinum Vacation Protection. The difference is that Platinum provides cruise credits for up to 100% of non-refundable prepaid costs and standard provides credits for only up to 75%. So the New York restrictions would apply to both.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NavyVeteran said:

Princess Standard Vacation Protection also has CFAR coverage - not just Platinum Vacation Protection. The difference is that Platinum provides cruise credits for up to 100% of non-refundable prepaid costs and standard provides credits for only up to 75%. So the New York restrictions would apply to both.

Thanks for clarifying…. I didn’t remember that standard provided the 75% coverage. That’s what happens when I don’t cruise for two years lol