Art Auction dilema!!

arlanamay

How can you make a statement like that without seeing the work?

I believe from looking at the picture she posted that what she has is a full bleed seriograph or giclée. Hard to tell for sure without seeing it up close.

Studied Art History and I am a collector.

It just took me 2 hours to read throug the entire post. I remember seeing this when it was started, but then lost track of it. Fascinating!! How much does it cost to get art work appraised? Maybe we can take up a collection so OP can get it appraised. The suspense is killing me.

I'm back from Vegas. It was a family members 40th birthday so we actually were in Boulder City all week. I still haven't heard from PW. It's been 3-4 weeks now I think. I'll work on getting it appraised, but I have this feeling like if I do that I will be jinxed and problems will start again. I little weird I know.

I'm addicted to reading this forum. Hope your trip when well. and maybe you shouldn't worry about the apprasial. Do you really care how much it's worth? It's yours. Maybe if you decided you might want to sell it you would. Please keep us up on any new details.:)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just a little more info to add to the excitement:

From the Park West Gallery web site

http://sales.parkwestgallery.com/Default.aspx

Art Collections

Art for Sale

Francis, Andrew

"Photographer"

--------------------------- Here is the description of a similar item:

Artist: Francis, Andrew

Reg number: 141166

Description:

Francis, Andrew

Photographer

17'' x 26 1/2''

Acrylic painting on paper. Signed in pencil, lower right. A unique work. From the collection of the artist.

Park West Price: $7,950

------------------------------------------------------

Cool!!!!

Dontcha just hate it when the OP starts something and then bails on the thread? :mad:

Didn't she already say that there was no point in posting anything if they ceased to contact her? Apparently PW dropped the issue. Seems like no news is good news.

Dontcha just hate it when the OP starts something and then bails on the thread? :mad:

While it is frustrating to be left hanging, I would probably give the OP the benefit of the doubt, considering the nature of the thread, that they may have been advised to stop talking about it in public... hard to say.

Theron

I believe that Carnival went away from parkwest and has their own auction house. Could this be a prank? If so kudos.

Cheers,

Brad

Can anyone confirm this? I purchased last year from Park West, and was looking forward to shopping again in a few weeks on the legend...

Also I have read many sentiments that a lot of the art is overpriced. Is this true of their special blind auction deals... these always seem to be pretty reasonable. I appreciate any guidance anyone has. :confused:

Can anyone confirm this? I purchased last year from Park West, and was looking forward to shopping again in a few weeks on the legend...

Also I have read many sentiments that a lot of the art is overpriced. Is this true of their special blind auction deals... these always seem to be pretty reasonable. I appreciate any guidance anyone has. :confused:

Park West was on the Miracle last year. Princess now uses their own gallery. I've purchased a couple "polar bears" very reasonable and we enjoy them. My husband took a course in framing and he does a good job of it. I can't see spending the thousands of dollars that some do however.

• 2 months later...

At least some Carnival ships still use Park West; I attended the auctions on board the Fantasy in late June. It does appear that they have changed some of their practices, though, as follows:

First, the auctions took place in a small lounge at the back of the boat, which was only used for other small events during the cruise; they were not taking up space that would have been used for anything else other than lifeboat drills...

Second, the auctioneers were very personable and friendly, and were knowledgeable about the pieces and artists. They were not pushy with anyone, saying repeatedly that their own rules for buying art was to buy what you like, not necessarily for investment. Of course, they still made it clear that they thought their prices were great as any salesperson should, but they were not trying to coerce passengers into buying anything; not even the "cheap" ones.

Third, all of the auctions, without exception, were started at the reserve price. There were no "opening bids" taken, and no bids by the house. If no one was interested in paying the asking price, they simply moved on to the next piece.

Fourth, the auctioneer spent a great deal of time making it clear which type of piece it was; that is whether it was original, seriograph, lithograph, giclee, or a hand embellished version of one of those, as well as which type of lot the piece was (take-off, framed, matted, and shipped, or unframed shipped in a tube for additional cost).

I say all that to say that apparently Park West HAS read this thread and all of the other "Park West Sucks" threads on all of the forums, and is resonding to the complaints raised, and I say "kudos" to them for that. If they did not pay attention to customers' feelings, they wouldn't be around very long.

Now on to my opinion as to the "good deal" aspect. May I remind everyone that the only truly "good deal" is the transaction where both parties involved leave feeling that they ripped the other party off in the deal. Anything else is just a happy (or not-so-happy) compromise. So to those who spend thousands of dollars on art as an "investment" based solely on the recommendation of the seller, please send me your e-mail addresses so I can forward you the 10-15 e-mail "Hot Stock Tips" that I get each day for new and up-and-coming companies that are "guaranteed" to make you a fortune before sundown today. Seriously, just buy a mutual fund or a CD or something if you are trying to invest. Buy art in the same mindset that the artist painted it: for enjoyment! Sure, the artists hope and try to make a living doing what they love, and there is nothing wrong with that. But the artist's motivation was never to make their buyers rich, and when an uninformed consumer tries to do that, they deserve what they get!

As for arlanamay's painting, you bought it, it's yours! If its worth a bunch, congratulations! If not, will you enjoy it any less? I should hope not. You bought it because you liked it and were willing to pay what you did for it, not as an investment anyway, right? You still got what you wanted. I am sorry it has turned into such a hassle, and I sincerely hope that the lack of response means the situation is over, and you just smile when you walk past your painting now, recalling the joy you felt the first time you saw it on the ship! If that is the case, then all is well.

Just my $0.02 on the issue, and a report on Park West's apparent efforts to improve their image to their consumers. For those curious, I am not a Park West employee, just a recent first time cruiser who did buy a couple of cheaper pieces, and genuinely enjoyed the experience. Of course, I have not received the pieces yet, and my opinion may change at that point, but so far, I am very happy with them.

Archived