Art Auction dilema!!

arlanamay

Sounds like you got a great deal! Since that's what you bid on and paid for, I'm with everyone else, it's yours! Don't send it back to them, I'd find a great place in your house to show it off to everyone. :)

I also agree, you should get an appraisal, if nothing else than for curiosity's sake, especially mine. I'm really curious as to what it's worth now, it sure sounds like an original! The originals in the ship auctions sell for in the thousands.

The problem is they didn't intend on giving it up for $150 and might want it back. I'm concerned they are going to bully me and I wanted to get some opinions about the situation.

I doubt a company is going to do this as they would have no legal right. You bought and paid for this art piece. Case closed!

Your right about looking at the painting. I did ask to see it when I went to pay for it and they said that it was in cargo being wrapped so I sould take it off the ship. I think they made a mistake in the begining. I don't think they meant to start bid on an original work of art for $150. I'm not sure of that and I'm only speculating as to what might have happened. The painting I have is the one I bid on. It is framed and the frame has some chips in it because it's been around awhile. I think they want it back because it might be worth a whole lot more than $150. I believe that even if they accidentally sold an original Picasso the person who bought it is the legal owner. Just like if I bid on this painting and it's only worth $1 well I'm still legally bound to pay the $150 I bid at. I guess I'm getting worked up that they might try and intimidate me into giving the painting back.

Being an antique dealer, If you have a painting that is signed in pencil chances are it is the original or at least if it is not it can be an original lithograph of the original painting. Take a magnifying glass and look at the painting. If you see dots then it is not a painting but a print. Still one signed in pencil vs one signed with some gold printed signature is worth a whole lot more.

Chances are the auction gallery on the ship made a mistake in giving you the one they held up for bidding. That is their fualt and you have zero obligation to return it as it is the one you bid on. Do not give in to them. I have observed these ship auctions and for the most part they are selling really cheap imitation stuff for very over inflated prices. Congratualtions you have caught them at their own game and you are one of the few to actually get the bargains they tote.

Keep the piece of art painting or original print whatever. The frame is worth the $150.

Being an antique dealer, If you have a painting that is signed in pencil chances are it is the original or at least if it is not it can be an original lithograph of the original painting. Take a magnifying glass and look at the painting. If you see dots then it is not a painting but a print. Still one signed in pencil vs one signed with some gold printed signature is worth a whole lot more.

Chances are the auction gallery on the ship made a mistake in giving you the one they held up for bidding. That is their fualt and you have zero obligation to return it as it is the one you bid on. Do not give in to them. I have observed these ship auctions and for the most part they are selling really cheap imitation stuff for very over inflated prices. Congratualtions you have caught them at their own game and you are one of the few to actually get the bargains they tote.

Keep the piece of art painting or original print whatever. The frame is worth the $150.

Seriously you should see it. The paint is like thick water color. It has a matte texture not glossy like most lithographs. The pencil marks at the corner really give it away. At each corner there are two that are perpendicular to each other. Also I don't think I mentioned that when I called them and explained that what I had was different then what they stated in the COA it was no big deal, until I told her what I had, then you could almost hear the color go out of her face.

Seriously you should see it. The paint is like thick water color. It has a matte texture not glossy like most lithographs. The pencil marks at the corner really give it away. At each corner there are two that are perpendicular to each other. Also I don't think I mentioned that when I called them and explained that what I had was different then what they stated in the COA it was no big deal, until I told her what I had, then you could almost hear the color go out of her face.

Hang on to it no matter what they say or try to do. You bought it fair and square if it the one you saw at preview and then bid on. Other wise they are quilty of a bait and switch scam and that puts them and even the ship into a serious legal problem. Hang tough.

Don't know if you care to give us the artist that did the work. That would help in getting a value. Also describe the scene.

The artist's name is Andrew Francis and the painting is called Journey #57..It's 17x22.5 and looks like it's on paper. It has a lady sitting at a table with the ocean (which has sail boats) by her. She's reading a postcard and on the table is a camera and a piece of chocolate cake. She is dressed in 1920's style clothing complete with hat.

Andrew Francis was born in 1948 in England. Go to Postershop.com for prices of his prints $400 each and to Art-is-a-tart.com for more information on the artist. They have his prints at 215 pounds each. So - even if it is not an original you have a deal for the print but from what it sounds you have an original. Could not find any info about what his originals sell for but usually prints sell for about 10% of the value of the original art if it is a contemporary artist and much more if it is a dead artist of any note. So if it is original you have a $4,000 painting and maybe much more. No wonder they want it back.

Stay tough.

I am just posting so I can follow this. Get an appraisal (not expensive) and tell them, nicely, that you bid on it and paid for it and they handed it to you so you will not be sending it to them but do want the correct papers. If they make a stink then get an attorney. DO NOT SURRENDER IT! It's yours good or ill.

Andrew Francis was born in 1948 in England. Go to Postershop.com for prices of his prints $400 each and to Art-is-a-tart.com for more information on the artist. They have his prints at 215 pounds each. So - even if it is not an original you have a deal for the print but from what it sounds you have an original. Could not find any info about what his originals sell for but usually prints sell for about 10% of the value of the original art if it is a contemporary artist and much more if it is a dead artist of any note. So if it is original you have a $4,000 painting and maybe much more. No wonder they want it back.

Stay tough.[/QUOT

Thanks for the links.

It was a pretty water color and BIG.
The artist's name is Andrew Francis and the painting is called Journey #57..It's 17x22.5 and looks like it's on paper. It has a lady sitting at a table with the ocean (which has sail boats) by her. She's reading a postcard and on the table is a camera and a piece of chocolate cake. She is dressed in 1920's style clothing complete with hat.
I don't think of this as being BIG. I had thoughts of you carrying around a 20 x 60 painting through the airport.;)

It would be interesting to know if your painting is water color, acrylic or oil. You first described it as a water color. However, after looking at some of the prints for sale, it almost appears that the media is charcoal, which could explain the pencil lines you are seeing. The descriptions of his prints also say "hand signed", so your "painting" could very well be just a print. either way, looks like you got it for a great price!

I don't think of this as being BIG. I had thoughts of you carrying around a 20 x 60 painting through the airport.;)

It would be interesting to know if your painting is water color, acrylic or oil. You first described it as a water color. However, after looking at some of the prints for sale, it almost appears that the media is charcoal, which could explain the pencil lines you are seeing. The descriptions of his prints also say "hand signed", so your "painting" could very well be just a print. either way, looks like you got it for a great price!

Your right about the painting not being very big, but the way they had it framed it is pretty big. I haven't measured the whole thing. It was a hassle getting it off the ship I'll tell you that.

I don't think it's charcoal because there are brush strokes and lots of places have much more paint than others. I looked at where the pencil marks are placed again and the painter put them where he was starting a different section of the painting. I mean to say there were pencil marks where he started the horizon, at the table, were the ocean began etc. They are all placed around the outside of the painting. Any place linear if that makes sense.

Then I agree that is sounds like an acrylic.

The pencil marks are really strange in that they would normally be covered with the frame (or have you taken it out of the frame to discover these marks)?

No I never took it out of the frame. I agree that it's weird the pencil marks are showing and weren't erased by the artist, but it is what it is.

Archived