A Silver Lining to the Canadian Closure to Cruises

Smokeyham

If you are considering a round trip cruise to Alaska this year from Seattle then a silver lining to the closure of the Canadian ports to cruise ships is that the provisions of Passenger Vessel Services Act that required ships to call in at a foreign port, when doing Alaska cruises from Seattle, were suspended until Canadian ports reopened.

Why is this beneficial? - On the return leg to Seattle ships would pull into Vancouver on the final night of the cruise and then sail on to Seattle around midnight.   Although Vancouver is a wonderful city, the ship would become a bit of a ghost town as people went ashore and you have the feeling that the cruise has basically ended instead of being able to enjoy the final night on board.

Canada has just announced the reopening of their ports to cruise ships (subject to compliance with health regulations), so if you are thinking of doing a round trip Alaska cruise from Seattle this might be the year to do it.

54 minutes ago, Smokeyham said:

- On the return leg to Seattle ships would pull into Vancouver on the final night of the cruise and then sail on to Seattle around midnight. 

You are getting your cities starting with "V" mixed up.  The ships would make a short stop at Victoria, not Vancouver.  

Welcome to my Club of "I get things mixed up every once in awhile"!  🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

You are getting your cities starting with "V" mixed up.  The ships would make a short stop at Victoria, not Vancouver.  

Welcome to my Club of "I get things mixed up every once in awhile"!  🤣

Thanks for the correction......  The end result is the same.... the interrupted final evening.

• Like 1

Another Advantage!

There is only one ship besides ours, Celebrity Millennium, in the Alaska ports when we are: Carnival Miracle in Ketchikan @2100 pax,  HAL Nieuw Amsterdam @2100 pax max in Juneau and the Silver Muse in Skagway with under 600 pax max.

There is a great possibility that all these ships, including ours, will be sailing at reduced capacity. Visiting these ports will be like back in the days before all lines and mega ships were cruising to Alaska!

• Like 3

On 7/16/2021 at 2:40 PM, TMLAalum said:

Another Advantage!

There is only one ship besides ours, Celebrity Millennium, in the Alaska ports when we are: Carnival Miracle in Ketchikan @2100 pax,  HAL Nieuw Amsterdam @2100 pax max in Juneau and the Silver Muse in Skagway with under 600 pax max.

There is a great possibility that all these ships, including ours, will be sailing at reduced capacity. Visiting these ports will be like back in the days before all lines and mega ships were cruising to Alaska!

My thoughts exactly!  We're going on Majestic Princess the middle of August, and will be the only ship in port on our port days...gonna be great. 

• Like 1

There was an advantage to stopping in Victoria.  For me, at least.  I live in Victoria and was able to disembark the last evening instead of going to Seattle and having to turn around and pay to get back here. 🙂  Did that on my Princess cruise a couple of years ago. 

• Like 2