restrictions on bringing cosmetics and medicines to Japan

kenphy

I am reading about restrictions on bringing only 24 cosmetic items into Japan, especially lipstick.  Does the 24 items restriction count include toothbrushes, toothpaste, mouthwash, tweezers, nail clippers, etc.  or only make-up such as eyeliner, eyeshadow, foundation, face powder, mascara, etc.? 

I also think that as long as you bring medicines in labeled from a pharmacy medicines that are not on the Japanese restriction list, and only enough for the trip, you will be ok.  Is that too simplified?

Thanks

You shouldn't get too worked up about this issue.

Yes, the laws and regulations do exist, but they are not enforced.

In Japan you must also have a Doctor's prescription to purchase Tonic Water for your Gin - but it is not enforced.

Did you know that in South Carolina you can be arrested for playing pinball if you are under 18 years old? Probably doesn't happen very often.

In Michigan you can be arrested for trying to sell an automobile on Sunday. Same story.

In Tennessee you can be arrested for sharing your Netflix password with a friend or spouse.

In Texas it is illegal for a woman to apply make-up in an automobile.

You can safely bring whatever cosmetic items you like into Japan and will not be searched or hassled about it.

The medicine (generally prescription drugs with a few OTC exceptions) rules is called Yakkan Shoumei and is a mild pain in the behind if you need to file the form.  If you need to bring more then a 30 day supply of drugs you will likely need to complete the complex Yakkan Shoumei.   They have other rules such as not bringing anything with Pseudoephedrine.   And narcotics (even with a prescription) can be a big problem

While their customs folks are not out to get tourists they can be difficult if you have not complied with this Yakkan Shoumei (which translates to something akin to an import license) procedure.  The last time we had to file a Yakkan Shoumei I had to send it snail mail and it cost me nearly $20 in stamps to ship all that darn paper.  Now, I think it can be submitted as an e-mail (often with dozens of pages of attachments).

Hank

Agree with BruceMuzz, we have never been questioned or stopped in the 10 times we have entered Japan.  On one cruise my wife and her friend bought a lot of make up in Busan Korea and they were not questioned, stopped or even asked to fill out a custom form to declare any cosmetics when we disembarked in Yokohama.

On 7/25/2021 at 11:28 PM, BruceMuzz said:

You shouldn't get too worked up about this issue.

Yes, the laws and regulations do exist, but they are not enforced.

In Japan you must also have a Doctor's prescription to purchase Tonic Water for your Gin - but it is not enforced.

Did you know that in South Carolina you can be arrested for playing pinball if you are under 18 years old? Probably doesn't happen very often.

In Michigan you can be arrested for trying to sell an automobile on Sunday. Same story.

In Tennessee you can be arrested for sharing your Netflix password with a friend or spouse.

In Texas it is illegal for a woman to apply make-up in an automobile.

You can safely bring whatever cosmetic items you like into Japan and will not be searched or hassled about it.

Thanks a ton -- "friends" had me worried about my disposable contact lenses!

On 7/28/2021 at 5:31 PM, Hlitner said:

The medicine (generally prescription drugs with a few OTC exceptions) rules is called Yakkan Shoumei and is a mild pain in the behind if you need to file the form.  If you need to bring more then a 30 day supply of drugs you will likely need to complete the complex Yakkan Shoumei.   They have other rules such as not bringing anything with Pseudoephedrine.   And narcotics (even with a prescription) can be a big problem

While their customs folks are not out to get tourists they can be difficult if you have not complied with this Yakkan Shoumei (which translates to something akin to an import license) procedure.  The last time we had to file a Yakkan Shoumei I had to send it snail mail and it cost me nearly $20 in stamps to ship all that darn paper.  Now, I think it can be submitted as an e-mail (often with dozens of pages of attachments).

Hank

Thanks again  -- we purposely booked this cruise's time to avoid a sometime hassle in other countries with an injectable medicine (that also needs refrigeration) that DH only takes every 28 days.  Otherwise, our meds are easy.    It is great to know that cruise critic folks seem to know everything!

• 2 weeks later...

I was very worried when flying into Tokyo in 2019 for our Regent Cruise.  I usually bring my prescription drugs in small zip lock bags one for each day we're there. 

There was absolutely NO issues at customs.  We just walked right through.