Tahiti + Pago Pago or Morea Bora Bora ?

Tedferg

Bucket list cruise Australia - California with Tahiti. Sydney to SFO is perfect but 100% sure April 2022 will not happen. I saw a Sept 2022 LA to Sydney that is similar and less expensive. However it does overnight in Tahiti and then Pago Pago. How would that compare with Bora Bora, Morea, Tahiti ?

I love Tahiti.  Will be returning in January, 2022 for a 10 night cruise on the Paul Gauguin.  It goes to Bora Bora, Morea and several other small islands. If you like beautiful islands, swimming, snorkeling, and being on a small ship, this is perfect.  However, if Australia is where you really want to go, you will not see much of Tahiti when taking a cruise from LA to Australia.

On 7/26/2021 at 12:32 AM, Tedferg said:

Bucket list cruise Australia - California with Tahiti. Sydney to SFO is perfect but 100% sure April 2022 will not happen. I saw a Sept 2022 LA to Sydney that is similar and less expensive. However it does overnight in Tahiti and then Pago Pago. How would that compare with Bora Bora, Morea, Tahiti ?

If your ship sails from LA to Pago Pago without stopping anywhere in between you are looking at the wrong ship.  It must be a monster-sized thing.  French Polynesia is gloriously beautiful and a destination in itself.  Pago Pago is the main town/city of American Samoa and most people hate it.  It is NOT anything like Bora Bora. However, the entrance to the bay is as spectacular as anything in the South Pacific, dominated by Rainmaker Mountain.  There are junk food joints, gigantic SUVs, a stinky tuna canning factory, some great churches, one halfway decent beach, certainly an interesting place to visit . . . 

Edited by Fletcher

• 2 months later...

I like the idea of a Pacific crossing, west coast USA to Sydney, but if I'd not been to Tahiti before I'd put a Tahiti alone cruise at the TOP of my bucket list. You have no idea what paradise is like until you see Bora Bora, Moorea and Tahaa- Fakarava! A cruise that stops for a day in Tahiti is not seeing Tahiti. The major port is in Papeete and while it has it's charms, Papeete is kind of a dingy port town. You can drive around the island and see some beautiful sights,  but there's nothing like Bora Bora for saying you've been to the pinnacle of earthly beauty.

Try PG, WS or Oceania Tahiti.