Tour from Chania, Crete to Knossos

islandwoman

Agree.  Chania is the wrong port for major archeological sites.  Enjoy it for the beautiful place it is - the Venetian town and the beaches. There is a small, but very nice, Archaeological Museum that houses relics of Chania's history dating from Neolithic times. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As bennybear says, Chania is, unfortunately, not the best port to visit Knossos. It's a very long drive.

Chania does boast a very nice (albeit small) archaeological museum with finds from the area ranging from Minoan to Roman. The building itself is a former Ottoman bath house.

If, like me, you are a chaser of antiquities, there are a number of small sites near Chania. Probably the most rewarding would be Aptera -- you can arrange a taxi to take you there and back. More info here on that and other sites here:  https://greece.terrabook.com/chania/chapter/culture/archaeological-sites/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@cruisemom42 thanks for the link!  I’ve saved it for when we go again. 

After  looking at that list,  I would also suggest a visit to Falasarna as it is one of our favourite beaches,  and I had forgotten that there are some ruins there.  I was surprised about Maleme as we stayed in that town for two weeks and had no idea there was a tomb there,  but there is some more recent history in that nearby is also the site of a WW2 German Cemetery.   

As there is an allied WW2 cemetery in Souza bay.  

• Thanks 1