Europe River Cruises

3Shelaghs

Pushed x3, and may cancel as nonrefundable deposit is a blip compared to final payment.

So you fly to Amsterdam, Covid vaccinated x2, Test-neg for flight and for entry to Amsterdam, and board ship....... sail through numerous countries for 2 weeks, (all Schengen). Debark in Basel, and transfer to Zurich. Direct flight to Canada leaves early am, so we need to stay one night at least to make a direct flight home.

Question: Can we rent a car and spend some time in Europe?

Are we there illegally? Or is our entry into Amsterdam considered the legal point of entry for all?? Even if countries have different rules??? If you are onboard x 15 days, would that constitute a quarantine period of a country requested it????

No, you won't be there illegally. The cruise line wouldn't be allowed to let passengers disembark in Basel if it wan't legal, and you've been travelling continuously with the Schengen area throughout, so quarantine isn't an issue. This Netherlands' website is worth taking a look at: https://www.government.nl/topics/coronavirus-covid-19/visiting-the-netherlands-from-abroad/checklist-entry/from-outside-the-eu

Yes, you can rent a car, although it might not be worth the effort for just part of a day.

Just found out.. Switzerland.... "Fully vaccinated travelers from the US and Canada must show proof of COVID-19 vaccination administered no more than 12 months before arrival. Vaccines accepted are AstraZeneca (Vaxzevria), Janssen (Johnson & Johnson), Moderna, Pfizer-BioNTech, Sinopharm and Sinovac".

EEEK, our vaccines will have expired. Hope they are working on that booster shot asap.

1 hour ago, 3Shelaghs said:

Just found out.. Switzerland.... "Fully vaccinated travelers from the US and Canada must show proof of COVID-19 vaccination administered no more than 12 months before arrival. Vaccines accepted are AstraZeneca (Vaxzevria), Janssen (Johnson & Johnson), Moderna, Pfizer-BioNTech, Sinopharm and Sinovac".

EEEK, our vaccines will have expired. Hope they are working on that booster shot asap.

Well, that's the time I've seen that road block arise. For those of us with Moderna, we hope that the Canadian manufacturing facility is given high priority!

For those who are river cruising.. looks like they are slowly returning to the rivers. 

I don't see anywhere that pax or crew are in decreasing numbers, nor Covid testing being done. Only info is: pax must be fully vax'd, no kids, and lots of increased sanitation.... bad news is, most of the cruises into end of 2022 are fully booked!!!!! There must have been tons of "lifting and shifting"🙄

• 1 month later...
On 8/15/2021 at 2:15 PM, 3Shelaghs said:

For those who are river cruising.. looks like they are slowly returning to the rivers. 

I don't see anywhere that pax or crew are in decreasing numbers, nor Covid testing being done. Only info is: pax must be fully vax'd, no kids, and lots of increased sanitation.... bad news is, most of the cruises into end of 2022 are fully booked!!!!! There must have been tons of "lifting and shifting"🙄

I read that Viking is Covid testing passengers daily. We booked for April 2022 back in May.

we are beginning to rethink this trip. It’s very frustrating having each country change their covid rules from one week to next. Far better to lose $$$ then pay full amount only to have it refunded in FCC if cruise is cancelled. And I’m not sure I want to spend a ton if some sites are closed or we are in masks 24/7. Horrid decision.