American Cruise Line - poor Customer Service re: Covid 19 reporting

suzyluvs2cruise

We sailed on American Cruise Lines July 25 Music Cities cruise on the American Jazz. Long story short my fully vaccinated (Moderna) husband was diagnosed with Covid 19 three days after we got off the boat. He now has pneumonia and is in the ER for the 2nd time since Aug. As soon as he was diagnosed I called American Cruise Lines to report it. I think he must have had it while onboard as he didn't feel 100% the last 2 days of the cruise and I was concerned for crew and other passengers who may have been exposed. My phone # was taken and I was told they would call me....but that didn't happen.....so I called again 2 days later on Friday. My information was then taken but that's it. This has to be taken seriously and I didn't get the sense that American Cruise Lines was interested in the fact that a Covid postive person was on one of their boats. 

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

51 minutes ago, DaveinCharlotte said:

I'm trying to figure out what ACL's proper response should have been.

Hope your husband recovers soon.

First would be returning a call.....which they didn't. Then letting guests who were on that sailing know they may have been exposed to COVID. I know they haven't done that as we met 3 great couples onboard who haven't heard anything. My concern was for the crew and guests who were exposed. 

Thanks for the well wishes. 

I’m sorry this happened to your husband and wish him a quick recovery. Suggest, if you haven’t already, calling ACL corporate HQ. You could probably find the number searching online. Did you by chance mention this in your post cruise survey?

This is such a wicked virus. So sorry your DH is ill . I hope recovers without severe complications.  I understand your frustration  — stepped up to identify situation to help others to seek testing.    I would have expected appreciation and action.  I guess that’s a trait of baby boomers.  Will keep you in my prayers.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, twototravel said:

I’m sorry this happened to your husband and wish him a quick recovery. Suggest, if you haven’t already, calling ACL corporate HQ. You could probably find the number searching online. Did you by chance mention this in your post cruise survey?

Thank you.....I mentioned my concerns in both the survey and in a separate email. I did not call Corporate Headquarters and may try that. I'm still surprised that I've haven't heard from anyone. 

Thanks for your post, Suzy.

I am disappointed -- and nervous -- to see that ACL presumably did not notify the other passengers that your fully vaccinated husband developed breakthrough Covid after your cruise ended.

We are booked on a Columbia/Snake River cruise departing Sept 1 and having serious doubts about going.  We're not happy that they don't require everyone be vaccinated, that they had to cancel cruises due to unvaccinated staff, that the surge in Oregon made the governor call out 1500 National Guardsmen to help the hospitals, and that the governor's office now predicts the surge will continue to expand in the coming weeks.  We gave ACL our money but we don't have to trust them with our health or our lives, especially if this is how they operate.

COVID-stricken Oregon deploys National Guard to hospitalshttps-::apnews.com › article › health-oregon-coronaviru....webloc Oregon - COVID-19 Projections - Institute for Health Metrics ...https-::covid19.healthdata.org › united-states-of-america.webloc

44 minutes ago, MimiDo said:

I am disappointed -- and nervous -- to see that ACL presumably did not notify the other passengers that your fully vaccinated husband developed breakthrough Covid after your cruise ended.

We are booked on a Columbia/Snake River cruise departing Sept 1 and having serious doubts about going.  We're not happy that they don't require everyone be vaccinated, that they had to cancel cruises due to unvaccinated staff, that the surge in Oregon made the governor call out 1500 National Guardsmen to help the hospitals, and that the governor's office now predicts the surge will continue to expand in the coming weeks.  We gave ACL our money but we don't have to trust them with our health or our lives, especially if this is how they operate.

COVID-stricken Oregon deploys National Guard to hospitalshttps-::apnews.com › article › health-oregon-coronaviru....webloc 507 B · 0 downloads Oregon - COVID-19 Projections - Institute for Health Metrics ...https-::covid19.healthdata.org › united-states-of-america.webloc 475 B · 0 downloads

Thanks for understanding my concerns and as of today, 8/17, I have had no response to my 2nd phone on 8/6 call or 8/7 email. As I stated before my concern was not only for the other passengers who may have been exposed but was for the crew.....many of whom are Unvaccinated. I do know that other passengers have not been contacted as we are in contact with 3 couples we met onboard. ACL's apparent lack of concern troubles me. 

I understand your feelings and apprehension. I would feel the same way. I will be contacting ACL Headquarters as @twototravelsuggested. Thankfully my husband is now home after a 6 day stay in the hospital with Covid Pneumonia. He was given Remdesivir, plus IV Vitamins/Minerals & Steroids. He is on home oxygen 24/7 and we're hoping that won't be permanent. This beast called COVID19 is still roaring it's ugly head. 

On 8/17/2021 at 4:06 PM, MimiDo said:

COVID-stricken Oregon deploys National Guard to hospitalshttps-::apnews.com › article › health-oregon-coronaviru....webloc 507 B · 2 downloads Oregon - COVID-19 Projections - Institute for Health Metrics ...https-::covid19.healthdata.org › united-states-of-america.webloc 475 B · 1 download

We are booked on the same cruise a week earlier. We're required to be vaccinated and to have a molecular test 72 hours before leaving home. We're concerned about Oregon...and the air quality because of the fires...may cancel.... Joan

We are booked on the same cruise a week earlier (on the Harmony). We're required to be vaccinated because at some point the cruise visits Washington state...and to have a molecular test 72 hours before leaving home. We're concerned about the whole Columbia/Snake River valley areas..and the air quality because of the fires.  So much angst ahead of time--sharing MimiDo's thoughts of cancelling....

1 hour ago, alcorjdkn said:

We are booked on the same cruise a week earlier (on the Harmony). We're required to be vaccinated because at some point the cruise visits Washington state...and to have a molecular test 72 hours before leaving home. We're concerned about the whole Columbia/Snake River valley areas..and the air quality because of the fires.  So much angst ahead of time--sharing MimiDo's thoughts of cancelling....

We are also on your cruise.  You might want to recheck the test requirement timing. Of course the timing  depends on when you are leaving home, but I do not believe it is 72 hours before you leave home.  I received several e mails and a phone message concerning the test requirement.  We have our test scheduled for Sunday, August 22.  

We are not considering cancelling.  But if you cancel, you will just receive a credit, correct?  What would be the expiration date of the credit?

Good luck with your decision.  

The report in this board that 7 crew members on American Harmony tested positive for Covid, delaying the Aug 25 cruise, makes me think we’re making the right call.  Cannot believe there are unvaccinated  crew members, especially since  I think  I saw the same thing happened in .July.

Testing 3 days before, or as you board, does not guarantee you — or your fellow passengers — don’t have Covid.  The incubation period is 14 days.  

https://www.webmd.com/lung/coronavirus-incubation-period#1

Alas, we will get nothing except peace of mind (and our continued good health) if we cancel.  Thanks, ACL!  But we’re not the ones who need the good luck for our decision …

On 8/19/2021 at 4:11 AM, twototravel said:

@suzyluvs2cruise Here's their corporate number (203) 453-6800. I think everyone should call them if they are not satisfied with their customer reps responses to their concerns. Charles B. Robertson is the new CEO.

Thank you for their number. I emailed the CEO on 8/19, in addition to my call and email to Customer Service on Aug 4. No response from anyone. A courtesy acknowledgement of my concerns would have been nice. 

First I want to say I hope your husband is doing well and will continue to do so.

Having been a member of these boards for many years after getting a quote from ACL I decided to read reviews and found yours. A company that would treat those that have just cruised with them with such little concern is not one for us. Thank you for posting you made our decision to accept an AQSC quote instead very easy.

3 hours ago, Oldone79 said:

First I want to say I hope your husband is doing well and will continue to do so.

Having been a member of these boards for many years after getting a quote from ACL I decided to read reviews and found yours. A company that would treat those that have just cruised with them with such little concern is not one for us. Thank you for posting you made our decision to accept an AQSC quote instead very easy.

My husband has his ups and downs and still requires oxygen 24/7. We know recovery will take time and he's doing what he can to strength his lungs and, hopefully, to reduce his use of oxygen. Thanks for your concern and well wishes. 

4 hours ago, Oldone79 said:

Alas, even AQSC is not immune to complaints.  For example, check the "Anybody Else Having Trouble Reaching AQSC?" and the "American Queen Steamboat Company AWFUL!!!" posts over on their forum.

I have read those posts.

Agree no cruise line or company is immune to complaints.  This poster had a serious issue that should have been addressed.

The person on AQSC that said they were awful should have been aware that with especially river cruising rivers flood and contracts say itineraries will be altered if this should happen- not infrequent in Europe to have a river cruise turned into a land cruise at the last minute. AQSC has multiple lines to call and leaving voice messages for any business might result in a message not being returned. If there was an office party someone should have handled calls.

We all make our decision to cruise with a particular company for various reasons and we will still make ours to not cruise with ACL.