Am I expecting too much?

rs45thompson

I just got off the Magic on Thursday and the last couple of nights, there were rumblings of cases on board -- someone was spreading a rumor about people in the FB group testing positive, along with several crew members, etc.

It gave me pause, but also made me think -- I mean, if there were cases on-board by that point, what difference would it have made to me if I knew or didn't know? If I wasn't directly affected or in close contact with a positive case, would I have changed my behaviors? I was still wearing a mask indoors (for the most part), I was still actively avoiding the buffet and crowded areas ... what would be the point in telling people there were cases aboard other than to provoke panic. I wasn't going to demand to disembark and fly home at the next port ... I guess I just assumed upon boarding that I would be in contact with Covid one way or another and that was the risk I was assuming by cruising. 

Now, if it had been a crew member I'd been in direct contact with -- ie. my cabin steward or member of my assigned waitstaff, yes I would want to know that that individual was positive for Covid and was quarantined so I could quarantine myself and be tested. But just how many cases randomly on the ship? None of my business. I don't go home to an unvaccinated child or an elderly/immunocompromised family member. I go home to my equally vaccinated husband. 

• Like 1

The cruise lines have to deal with the CDC, so it makes no difference to me if they choose to publicly report cases per cruise or not.  i just flew to Florida and nobody tested the airline passengers to see if anyone had covid.  Half of the people on the plane could have been positive for covid and the airlines have no responsibility at all. Cruise lines are held more accountable than any other form of transportation.  I think anyone who worries about the number of cases on each cruise should probably wait until next year to cruise.  As far as exposure, they will also be exposed traveling to and from the cruise port.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rs45thompson said:

Question: would having the knowledge or numbers on the ship change your behavior at all or would you continue as if nothing has changed?

Not really. I've always washed my hands a lot. We are already being required to wear masks. Can't imagine much else can be done.

54 minutes ago, keels81 said:

Now, if it had been a crew member I'd been in direct contact with -- ie. my cabin steward or member of my assigned waitstaff, yes I would want to know that that individual was positive for Covid and was quarantined so I could quarantine myself and be tested. But just how many cases randomly on the ship? None of my business. I don't go home to an unvaccinated child or an elderly/immunocompromised family member. I go home to my equally vaccinated husband. 

If you had a close crew member tested positive I'm pretty sure you would get tested through contact tracing (though they may not tell you exactly who your exposure was from).

• Like 2

Covid is contagious for two days before you present symptoms. Right now it’s fair to assume everyone, everywhere has it and proceed accordingly. We had this come up at work last year. 5-6 positive tests were coming in a day and people got upset it wasn’t being announced. We started announcing it but it didn’t change anyone’s behavior. Plus, in almost all cases, the infections spread at work before anyone knew anyone in that area was sick. Once we knew someone in that area was sick, contract tracing took them out of the workplace. Carnival can’t tell you who is sick. Best that can do is say ‘two people tested positive today’. If that would affect your behavior just assume that happens every day of the cruise. By the time significant spread starts, it will be too late and many will be exposed and heading home.

• Like 2

I would like to know because I just want to know. However I don't presume I have the authority or clout to know anything more than anyone else can know. Would I change my behavior if I knew there were cases onboard? I can't say for certain because it hasn't happened to me yet. Unless I see people actually getting sick, more than a flu, and falling out everywhere I am gonna go on as usual and hope people come to their senses and get rid of the masks.