Fjords advice

lynnek

Broadly speaking you see one side of the fjords sailing in and the other side sailing out. IMO it helps if you are an early riser. Iona's mid summer schedule includes Olden 65 miles from the sea and Geiranger 75 miles. at 12 knots that is 5 hours and 6 hours.

IIRC port side sailing in for the seven sisters waterfalls

2 hours ago, lynnek said:

Just wondering if you were going to book a balcony on Iona on a fjords cruise would you choose port or starboard and why?

I visited the Fjord on the Azura a few years ago and took somebody advice and upgraded to a Balcony  but as the poster below say's you only see one side and spent most of my time high ondeck where you can view both sides at the same time so the £700 i paid to upgrade was basically a waste of money for me.

So i am booked to go back to the Fjords next year on the Iona but have just booked a inside cabin as will spend most  on deck taking photo's but depends what different people want from there cruise.

Take Care

Cpt Pugwash

• Like 3

No didn't bother paying for Balcony this time when on the Iona next year to the Fjords, i prefer being out and about meeting people and taking photo's rather than sitting on a Balcony.

P.S if you've not booked anything yet though P & O is not going to Flam next year if your thinking about 2023 try to find a cruise including Flam because i think it is the most beautiful place i ever visited on holiday in my lifetime.

Take Care 

Cpt Pugwash

• Like 2

On 9/8/2021 at 11:20 PM, davecttr said:

Broadly speaking you see one side of the fjords sailing in and the other side sailing out. IMO it helps if you are an early riser. Iona's mid summer schedule includes Olden 65 miles from the sea and Geiranger 75 miles. at 12 knots that is 5 hours and 6 hours.

IIRC port side sailing in for the seven sisters waterfalls

On our last fjord cruise, the Captain (I think it was Ashley Cook) stopped the ship by the Seven Sisters falls, and using the fore and aft bow thrusters he executed a perfect, slow 360 degree turn so that passengers on both sides had a good view of the falls. That was on Arcadia though - I doubt this  would be possible on a ship the size of Iona.

Bob

I’ve been to Norway once in an inside cabin. I’ve always said when I go again I want a balcony as I wake up much earlier than my husband so it will be nice to go out on the balcony. I remember going up on deck very early one morning and rushing down and telling John he had to get up!  My over riding memory is of fighting to get window seats as it was April and very cold on deck!

• Like 1