Mobility Scooter on airplanes

buffalogal7

My husband and I will be taking a cruise out of Miami on Carnival Sunrise May2-7, 2022.

I pretty much have been informed about how to get my scooter around the ship but what about the ramps they have getting onto the ships? I remember some of them are really uphill and there are several turns and several planks to get to the ship. Can you ride your scooter right on them?

Also, this have nothing to do with the cruise, but how the heck does one bring their scooter onto an airplane? We will be flying and I don't know if you have to check the scooter and walk through all the places you have have to go in the airport? There is no way I can walk that long of a distance. If anyone has had experience with flying with a mobility scooter, can you let me know what you had to do? I am pretty concerned about that. Thank you.

1 hour ago, buffalogal7 said:

My husband and I will be taking a cruise out of Miami on Carnival Sunrise May2-7, 2022.

I pretty much have been informed about how to get my scooter around the ship but what about the ramps they have getting onto the ships? I remember some of them are really uphill and there are several turns and several planks to get to the ship. Can you ride your scooter right on them?

Also, this have nothing to do with the cruise, but how the heck does one bring their scooter onto an airplane? We will be flying and I don't know if you have to check the scooter and walk through all the places you have have to go in the airport? There is no way I can walk that long of a distance. If anyone has had experience with flying with a mobility scooter, can you let me know what you had to do? I am pretty concerned about that. Thank you.

There are Travel Scooters that you can ride right to the plane, remove the battery, fold up and carry onto the airplane.

https://www.luggie-scooters.com/

Most airlines will let you take the scooter to the gate or cabin door, then it will be taken and put in the hold. Sometimes the scooter or wheelchair will be returned to you in baggage reclaim and wheelchair assistance provided to get you there.

Contact your airline direct to check they will accept the scooter, as some batteries are not allowed on aircraft. You may need to send them a photo or scan of the info about the battery in the manual. If they say they'll accept it onto the flight get it in writing to show at check in and the gate. Saves time going through it all again. 

Not all detachable batteries are allowed onboard, again, check with the airline.

If you end having to hire a scooter in Miami book wheelchair assistance to get you around the airports if it seems likely to be a longer walk than you can manage.

Edited by KBs mum
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, buffalogal7 said:

You should be good upon embarkation and disembarkation where they will have much longer (less incline) ramps to get on and off the ship. 

At port stops, there are employees where you exit and enter the ship who will assist you getting up and down the ramps.  You can stay on the scooter if you want.   Wait for an employee to assist you.   They are usually right there to assist.   

We fly a lot with Southwest and they are great with my husband’s scooter.

You need to check the scooter in at the luggage check in desk, they will take all the information about the scooter (weight, any marks, name of scooter, and battery information) and attach this to the scooter.  Drive it to your gate and you need to check in again there, they will give you a check at gate tag. You will be priority and get on the plane with the other disabled passengers. Drive it to the airplane door and the crew will put it below afterwards. You will pick it up right outside the door again. (In Long Beach they have an outside ramp and it will be at the bottom-but get him a wheelchair for the ramp)

We have had it on a number of cruises and the staff is wonderful, if he needs help with the gangplank, they help him (pushing him up if needed for extra oophm)

The dining room staff loved to put it out of the way and drive it back to him at the end of dinner.

Have a wonderful time!

14 hours ago, cruising twosome said:

The dining room staff loved to put it out of the way and drive it back to him at the end of dinner.

Ha ha.   That happens to us all the time!    Assuming you need to use the scooter to get to your table, they will take it away when you get seated and return it to you at your table.  Some passengers, if able, just park their scooters themselves near the front door to the restaurant and walk to their table.  

The staff loves to drive scooters.

• Haha 1