Anyone been to Cozumel in last few weeks?

dino76

Returned from our cruise on Feb 4. I had seen photos online of the destruction Cozumel suffered from the hurricane. I had also seen a few photos of the recovery work. I was waiting with baited breath to see for myself how thihgs had progressed.

On arrival, the damage is very apparent, especially when you are tendering into what is left of the Punta Langosta pier. The buildings that make up the mall area still have extensive damage, but the shopping area on the waterfront is busy with workers painting and rebuilding the shops. Some of the shops aren't even fully restocked, but have enough to at least open their doors again. It was refreshing to see how far they have come.

We took a cab to Paradise Beach. Tom and the group have done an amazing job rebuilding the beach and replanting trees, etc. If you had never been there before, you would hardly even notice. I did make note of one thing...

despite all of the damage, the trees are growing leaves again, one refreshing sign of a rebirth.

You will hopefully not be disappointed when you see that despite the heartache of massive destruction, these people have given their all, and continue daily, to make their island a welcome place for visitors again.

dee

Hola,

We were there 2/9. There is a lot of damage to be seen and several businesses are not up and running yet, but we took a taxi to Paradise Beach and had a ball.. Playa Mia and San Fransico are also open. Our mexican friends have been busting their butts trying to get everything back to normal.

It is unbelievable that all of the piers are gone. There is nothing left but rubble. The stores at Puerta Maya are open and I imagine that most are open in San Miguel. By all means, get off of the boat and do something. These people need you and your dollars in the worst way. Our taxi driver said that he only gets one fare a day. I don't know if you can feed a family on that.

I just got back from a week in Cozumel. The recovery is amazing to me. The downtown is pretty much back to normal. Some of the big hotels were very badly damaged and are just now opening or still not open but that has little or no effect on cruisers. Those are mainly south.

Probably the biggest effect is that shore snorkeling (and diving) is pretty poor now even at Dzul Ha. The shallow reefs really got hammered. Deeper diving is still very good but not quite as good as before. Another striking effect is that the vegitation was soaked in salt water after a drought and little rain since so instead of bright green you see grey and brown from off shore. We did surface intervals at Playa Palancar and it was back in full swing. The beach is narrower but still nice. Paradise Beach looked good from the water.

The road is open all the way around the island. People were having fun and I got the feeling that the visitors were really appreciated. I had a very good time while there.

Hola,

We were there 2/9. There is a lot of damage to be seen and several businesses are not up and running yet, but we took a taxi to Paradise Beach and had a ball.. Playa Mia and San Fransico are also open. Our mexican friends have been busting their butts trying to get everything back to normal.

It is unbelievable that all of the piers are gone. There is nothing left but rubble. The stores at Puerta Maya are open and I imagine that most are open in San Miguel. By all means, get off of the boat and do something. These people need you and your dollars in the worst way. Our taxi driver said that he only gets one fare a day. I don't know if you can feed a family on that.

What does the taxi cost to Paradise Beach?

We were in Cozumel on 2/10, and took a taxi to Paradise Beach. The cost was $13 to the beach (in a van with 4 other passengers, my husband and myself). The taxi back to the tender area was $16 (a car with just me and my husband). I was a little upset at first but was quickly reminded of the devastation this island recently went through and didn't care how much it cost. Maybe the extra couple of dollars helped someone out that day. BTW, we had a great day at PB. It was really beautiful, relaxing and the food was great.

We were in Cozumel for the first time 2/16/06. Hurricane damage was amazing, but the downtown was up and running. We rented a car for 1/2 day for $40+$8 gas from a local outfit - they were in the Hotel Barracuda which is 3-4 blocks on the right down the main street - and drove around the island. Wonderful beaches with no one on them and some bars and food places open along the way. Everyone was very friendly. Traffic outside the main town was very light and we got to stop and look at whatever we wanted.

:eek: We were there late January, Taxis are all new(courtesy of the Red Cross) but many of the hotels are gone, lots of the shops are all gone and many beachfront houses are also Badly damaged...

they are working 24/7 or at leats Mexico's version of 24/7, to get things back to normal...Carlos and charlies is going great guns, but Hard Rock was closed, and Senor Frog's had not opened up yet as they were still repairing it...the shops have by in large reopened, and the Scuba Cozumel club was unscathed or repaired quickly....The Trees had no vegetation of them in the southern part of the island, and the pleasure boat marina where the dive boats go had MANY bopats damaged or half sunk....

The diving is still great and the people are still friendly, and The party continues..........:D

Did you have to get insurance at that agency where you rented the car?
You don't have to get the insurance, but I do strongly recommend it.

Was it difficult to navigate around the island on your own and did you feel the agency was fair when you checked your car back in, not claiming damages you did not do to the car?
The island is super easy to drive around, but I still recommend getting the Cozumel map from http://www.cancunmap.com You won't be disappointed. I've rented from Avis for several days on both of our week long vacations in Cozumel and had absolutely no problems.

Archived