Canadian covid test upon disembarkation

bucky21

All rather confusing....for a west coast cruiser...lol.......anyways....it seems there is a toss up if the free covid test is given before the ship docks and we fly home via Calgary or Vancouver to Kelowna.....plane leaves 1ish....so lots of time to the SAN airport which you can see from the ship....and if the test they give does let us back into Canada....will have to see which one the govt wants currently...and the one that HAL gives???.but that all can change....maybe....really do not think many Canadians or non USA people on these 7 day trips to Mexico...so talking about testing thousands is not really the case....still dreaming about one in November ......hope hope

26 minutes ago, Kelownabccan said:

All rather confusing....for a west coast cruiser...lol.......anyways....it seems there is a toss up if the free covid test is given before the ship docks and we fly home via Calgary or Vancouver to Kelowna.....plane leaves 1ish....so lots of time to the SAN airport which you can see from the ship....and if the test they give does let us back into Canada....will have to see which one the govt wants currently...and the one that HAL gives???.but that all can change....maybe....really do not think many Canadians or non USA people on these 7 day trips to Mexico...so talking about testing thousands is not really the case....still dreaming about one in November ......hope hope

There are several Canadians on the Panama cruise on October 2.  I’d love to be a fly on the wall 😛.  I hope some will report back on how it goes.  That said what happens in Florida may not be what happens in San Diego.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

You best be telling  hal that they need to test ALL passengers because they are saying for their USA cruise passengers they will test those that need it for onward travel.

IMO, cruise ships with an international itinerary should test pax before disembarkation. Particularly if they have not been restricted to 'bubble' excursions. Looking into my crystal ball, its just a matter of time.

After all, Canada now requires all international travellers to be PCR tested before departure to Canada.

Here's the important thing. HAL is currently only equipped to test a limited number of pax onboard. Any idea what their capacity is?

What's going to happen when testing is required for all pax? Where is it happening right now? What's going to happen to cruises to Canada, if and when they resume?

As I was saying, prepare CONTINGENCY plans landside in case the cruise ship doesn't have the capacity. It should be simple enough to do.

6 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

What's going to happen when testing is required for all pax? Where is it happening right now? 

Testing is currently required for all pax on the European cruises and is done weekly on the Eurodam.

6 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

IMO, cruise ships with an international itinerary should test pax before disembarkation. Particularly if they have not been restricted to 'bubble' excursions. Looking into my crystal ball, its just a matter of time.

After all, Canada now requires all international travellers to be PCR tested before departure to Canada.

Here's the important thing. HAL is currently only equipped to test a limited number of pax onboard. Any idea what their capacity is?

What's going to happen when testing is required for all pax? Where is it happening right now? What's going to happen to cruises to Canada, if and when they resume?

As I was saying, prepare CONTINGENCY plans landside in case the cruise ship doesn't have the capacity. It should be simple enough to do.

I give up.  It’s only easy to make contingency plans if you use google for your plans.  Reality is another matter.  If they can do it in Europe, I don’t know why they can’t do it in the USA.  If they want to survive they can’t just sit there making empty statements. 

5 hours ago, kazu said:

Testing is currently required for all pax on the European cruises and is done weekly on the Eurodam.

Is the testing done all at once prior to a port visit, or on a rotating basis over the week? Is the test processing done on board, or sent to a commercial laboratory at a port stop?

On the MSC ships, many of the ports require 'bubble' excursions. Moreover, their  testing process is made easier because pax embark and disembark at every port. Not all together at the start and end of a cruise.

Even so, there was a mass outbreak onboard the Virtuosa. No wonder that they required all pax to have covid insurance...

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2021/10/articles/uncategorized/update-on-the-msc-virtuosa-superspreader-cruises-over-200-guests-and-crew-infected-with-covid-19-in-september-msc-says-only-21-cases/

Something to consider if your destination involves mandatory 72-hour PCR testing for disembarking  pax, as in Canada and Hawaii. 

Nobody knows what the situation will be like in February. It won't hurt for pax to make contingency plans for themselves. Europe has built up a huge testing industry. So, I'm not worried about European cruises.

You could disembark in the morning, get tested in the city without an appointment, and receive your results by mid-afternoon. Is this possible everywhere?

Edited by HappyInVan

1 minute ago, HappyInVan said:

Is the testing done all at once prior to a port visit, or on a rotating basis over the week? Is the test processing done on board, or sent to a commercial laboratory at a port stop?

I am simply reporting based on posts by Rich who has been on board the Eurodam for a number of weeks and whose posts I have been sharing on another thread.  If you have detailed questions that you want answered, I suggest you ask on his FP page or contact HAL.

Alternatively there will soon be a LIVE thread from the Eurodam and I am sure they will be reporting.

8 minutes ago, kazu said:

I am simply reporting based on posts by Rich who has been on board the Eurodam for a number of weeks and whose posts I have been sharing on another thread.  If you have detailed questions that you want answered, I suggest you ask on his FP page or contact HAL.

Thanks. As I have pointed out in the last year, covid is full of nasty surprises. Just trying to be clear about the important logistics.

My next cruise-tour is scheduled for Alaska in May, out of Vancouver. Before I make FP, I'll have to be sure about the testing facilities in Anchorage. 

It would be incredibly naive to assume that covid is going away anytime soon. 

Covid continues to be a moving target.   I have no doubt that, as in the past, restrictions of all sorts and international entry requirements  will change over time. Some little or no notice.

We hope to travel.  We are watching the covid stats in various countries.  It has been surprising to see some change dramatically in a very short time.   It is well within the realm of reality that requirements could change between the time one boards a cruise ship and when one disembarks-at the end or for a port stop.

We are not booking anything. IF we decide to travel, any bookings will be made within a week or less of departure.  Our crystal ball  isvery cloudy when it comes to covid restrictions, cruising,  etc.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1