Drinking age on Scarlet Lady

gcoolie

We will be on board over New Year's with our 23 year old and 19 year old. I've checked the website. As far as I can tell, our 19 year will be able to drink as long as we are not in a U.S. port. Can anyone verify that? Have you been with a "child" in the under 21 age category?

I have zero experience with travelling with a child, but from what I understand most cruise lines follow the laws of the port of departure.  Since that is Miami, the 19 year old likely would not be able to drink.  However, since this is Virgin, things could be different.  

11 hours ago, rebeccac said:

I have zero experience with travelling with a child, but from what I understand most cruise lines follow the laws of the port of departure.  Since that is Miami, the 19 year old likely would not be able to drink.  However, since this is Virgin, things could be different.  

Thank you for the responses. 😃

From the FAQs on the website:

What is the drinking age on board?

The drinking age in international waters is 18, in the United States it's 21, and in other ports, we'll go with whatever their country's laws specify.

I am 18, can I bring alcohol on board?

Sorry, laws are laws. While 18+ Sailors can enjoy alcoholic beverages at sea, it's illegal for 18- to 20-year-olds to possess alcohol in Florida. Sorry, Sailors!

In answer to my email asking them directly:

Let's sea the New Year come in, not with a bang but with a wave! Your wonderful son will be able to celebrate with soft drinks, specialty coffees, and fresh-pressed juices. Our alcohol laws are based on where we depart from not where we head to.

Thanks rebbecac, for the answers. Virgin is saying both unless I am misunderstanding something.

Not that I want my son to be plastered on this trip, but a toast on New Year's would be fun. 🤣

I replied to them with screenshots from their website. I am waiting to hear.

8 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Welcome to CC.

You may want to ask that in the current live thread.

Thank you. It's good to be here. I will learn so much. I will now try to find the current live thread. 

• 4 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

I haven't been on any ship from the U.S. that allows drinking under 21.

I know NCL allows you to sign a waiver so that your 18-20 year old can drink beer and wine at sea, but not hard liquor. I believe Carnival and Royal do the same. 

• Like 1