LIVE - Koningsdam Oct 17th - ¡Mexican Riviera!

aring75

Mazatlán

We spent our day in Mazatlán at Stone Island. Since the ship docked here, we met directly on the pier with our assigned tour groups. Just look for the sign with your tour name. 

We took a short boat ride from the pier to Stone Island. Once there, we boarded “trams” pulled by tractors. Yes. Tractors. Which took us to the resort we would enjoy for a half day. 

We were given lounge chairs (you could choose the sunny spot directly on the beach or the more shaded spot in the second row). We opted for shade. 41E49911-23F1-4932-B843-5D4977DD1AE5.thumb.jpeg.f242b49c8e07c7a89e961d000b767e3f.jpeg

Our view was still pretty great. 

E22CF75F-1014-40E6-BBFD-3734ED5637F1.thumb.jpeg.266b9ff5ebb306b8c18bbf2aa38d571f.jpeg

F5F7F4C6-B916-4653-ADC0-294A146D78DB.thumb.jpeg.8c682b0c0e6fc0d82885a1aa2ca4dfc6.jpeg

4669BCFA-4660-4169-B5DD-214FA5F70E1D.thumb.jpeg.36e4d9916526f1e9fa6b9acc7b5fdb4c.jpeg

And it was just a few more steps to the beach. I felt that was a fair trade-off! 😊

We were served drinks constantly (alcoholic or non-alcoholic) and around 11:45 we had lunch. 

Lunch was chicken, seasoned rice, beans with cotija cheese, and chips. Nothing fancy, but it was really good. 

Around 12:45-1:00 pm we made our way back to the ship. 

• Like 8

Mark ordered the 10 oz filet and the baked potato. He said his steak was just about perfect. 

I ordered the boneless ribeye. Unfortunately, it was not boneless. And it was just okay. I gave a pretty good sized piece to Mark and he said the filet was much better. 

CE03E203-73AF-4677-B013-0E5619356928.thumb.jpeg.58ba42044a47825adb090ecc922c8b78.jpeg

We also shared an order of the lobster mac and cheese. This was easily enough for 3-4 people to share. 

677885B9-5C50-4797-9070-AD82897F84BC.thumb.jpeg.6d4c96afd7d3b1939a89a7fcdbc47e5e.jpeg

We ordered way too much food so we simply couldn’t get to dessert. 

I know. I’m disappointed in us too. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Whew. I think I’m caught up. Today is Puerta Vallarta. I’ll be back later with the highlights!

In the meantime, here’s the drink menu for Billboard Onboard. 

153235FE-3A34-41F6-ADBE-6FC11187B375.thumb.png.da8f15b4f80965e1572b9013258957da.png

I think I’ll try a #1 or #9 thanks!!

267DF9E7-5345-4705-8398-A2DD95ACD457.thumb.png.f47b5f753141154e6cb58f36cefcc16e.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

No dessert?   Yes, very disappointing lol. 

I remember my first time ordering the lobster bisque not know how it was served.  I was in shock seeing the little bit of it in a bowl and the server said enjoy. Sucked me right in.  Then laughing he poured the liquid in.  Too funny.   SO good though.  Yum.  

#1 looks refreshing-ultimate raspberry lemonade.  Let us know which you try!  Enjoy the day.  Thanks again for all your reporting and photos.  

• Like 5

Our favorite restaurant on Koningsdam is Sel de Mer - recommend the Dover Sole or lamb.  Save room for Rudi's Salzburger souffle for dessert.  We also like Tamarind - recommend lobster wok and wasabi crusted tenderloin.  If you like french crepes, they make them in Lido - so good with Nutella or icecream.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, canadianbear said:

#1 looks refreshing-ultimate raspberry lemonade.  Let us know which you try!  Enjoy the day.  Thanks again for all your reporting and photos.  

I had that drink a few times on my Alaska cruise in August and it was really tasty.  I definitely recommend getting it!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, roxybear135 said:

I had that drink a few times on my Alaska cruise in August and it was really tasty.  I definitely recommend getting it!

For the first time on our next cruise we will have the drink package so I’ll definitely try it! Thanks 😁

• Like 2

On 10/20/2021 at 10:15 AM, Linerlover55 said:

I will be sailing on the

Koningsdam on January 16th on her Circle Hawaii. I havent cruised since 1998, and then not on HAL, so there have been a lot of changes. Following this thread is so helpful. We are booked at the Intercontinental across from the San Diego Pier for two nights prior. Any tips? I assume we’ll be able to walk on over for our embarkation?

As for Gala Nights are the events focussed on the MDR for that. What do they entail?

Sorry! I missed your post earlier. For our first gala night it mostly mattered in the dining room. Plenty of people chose not to dress up and ate in the buffet. 

The captain did give a toast in the theater and that felt festive. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, aring75 said:

Once we were comfortably on our way, the crew brought drinks and a snack. They served the local beer (Pacífico), rum punch, white or red wine, margaritas, rum and Coke, several types of soft drinks or bottled water, and other options I don’t really remember.

I’m surprised they served alcohol before snorkeling.

1 hour ago, dmcfad2 said:

I’m surprised they served alcohol before snorkeling.

I think that since it wasn’t really a “snorkeling” excursion, they weren’t really strict. It was simply an option. I’d say just over half of us went in the water. And maybe 5 or 6 of us snorkeled. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, aring75 said:

All in all, we enjoyed this tour. The captain and crew were great and made sure we never wanted for anything. 

Please be aware that if it leaves around 10 am like ours did, the port side of the boat will have shade on the way out. The starboard side is in almost full sun. It is still comfortable with the breeze, but I got a little too much sun on my legs (even with the sunscreen).

Great photos - thanks for sharing.  Looks like it was a lovely day.

Have to chuckle as I remember our past cruises in Mexico/Cabo - they always serve drinks 1st thing before you swim/snorkel - but if you go on a cruise in Hawaii - you have to wait until you are done with the snorkeling before the alcohol comes out.  Viva la Mexico.....

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, cruisin'mama said:

When you were on Stone Island, would you have been able to rent the ATVs that ride along the beach? I’m leaning towards doing the ship’s tour rather than going on our own but my husband and son want to do the ATV’s.

Yes. They were renting ATVs just to the right of where we were sitting. I don’t know how much they cost, sorry. But I did see a few people riding them. 

• Like 1

Thanks for you detailed trip report.  
Looking  forward to hearing about Puerto Vallarta.  There is only one tour offered on our 2/13 Panama Canal cruise.  I was hoping to go whale watching.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 0106 said:

Thanks for you detailed trip report.  
Looking  forward to hearing about Puerto Vallarta.  There is only one tour offered on our 2/13 Panama Canal cruise.  I was hoping to go whale watching.  

Working on uploading my photos now. WiFi on the ship was definitely better the first two days. Since then, it’s been hit or miss. 

13 hours ago, phileas hog said:

San Diego is a fabulous port to start a cruise!

This is a very nice read. I am enjoying it very much!

Thank you!

• Like 1

Thank you for all your wonderful updates. Our last sailing was this itinerary on the Oosterdam 01/20. Seems so long ago.... sigh

Sitting here with the Dec 12th sailing on hold while I see if I can pull it all together, flights from Toronto, insurance and the tests that we will need. 

Happy to read about the mask requirements. It is important to me 

You didn't get the bacon in the Pinnacle grill? lol  It's my fav. 

Curious as to how many pax are onboard. 

Love the Koningsdam. She is a lovely ship. 

If you like gin... my fav drink is the Gin's Cup. I hope it's still available. 

• Like 2

Just wanted to check in with everyone!

We made it back to San Diego safe and sound, even if we are a little disappointed that our cruise is over. 

I have all of my photos and info from Puerta Vallarta and our last two sea days. I will work on getting everything uploaded soon. 

Thank you for being patient! And just in case you didn’t already know, the WiFi onboard was okay the first two or three days, and then it was terrible. I couldn’t even run a speed test before it timed out. 

If you need to connect for any reason while you are onboard, I would suggest finding a WiFi hotspot ashore. Or perhaps just make sure your cellular service will cover the amount of data you might need while in port.

Back later everyone!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3