Any benefit to booking through MSC US site versus other MSC Sites?

CruiseNorway2022

I am a US citizen living in Europe. It seems I have a few choices regarding which MSC website I can book through. Is any one of them particularly "better" than the other in regards to the terms or what's included? Are there legal ramifications that hinge on *where* I purchased the ticket? For example, if I needed to sue the cruise line for some reason (obvs talking worst case scenario here, just trying to think of everything) would that be easier to do if I booked through the US site?  

MSC keeps defaulting me to the UK site on account of my location combined with my typing in English, but I actually live in Italy and only hold a US (not Italian) passport. 
Thank you. 

Edited by CruiseNorway2022

No definite answer to this. Sometimes Italy will be better, sometimes UK and sometimes US. But you cannot look just on the price, the conditions are very different. 

For example the US offers usually look very cheap, but "Gov. fees, taxes & port charges" are not included. On the other hand they give "MINERAL WATER AND COFFEE IN DINING ROOM". 

I found it too much work to go thru all this and prefer booking on a MSC website where at least all fees are included and the price it the final price. 

• Like 2

I'm an American living in Amsterdam and we always book our cruises with a US Agent because pricing is nearly always better in the US and they almost always can offer an extra on board credit (effectively a partial rebate of their commission).  I've only done one cruise on MSC, but this proved to be the same in my research.  I didn't find a single example where the European pricing wasn't higher (and usually at least 8-10% higher, depending on exchange rate) even after adding in the additional items (certain taxes and port charges) that don't always appear in the headline US quoted fares.

The only example in the past (on other lines) where I have seen lower pricing here in Europe is for the occasional last minute offer to residents of certain (typically port departure) countries.

That said, one current difference is the European fares are quoted including the mandatory COVID insurance MSC is requiring to board.  For the US you have the option of purchasing MSC's at an additional cost or getting your own that meets MSC's (opaque/unclear) requirements.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Couple-Somerset said:

UK prices don't include Insurance - and I can't see how - with so many variables for pre-existing conditions - that MSC could include it as standard either.

They may have an included-cover for some markets - but you can bet the small print states pre-existing is not included, must be reported and involves a higher premium.

Sorry if I was unclear, but this is COVID specific coverage (not overall general health coverage).  It doesn't exclude "pre-existing conditions" per se, but does require you to adhere to MSC's COVID protocols (which include a COVID test before traveling, COVID testing at the pier...etc).  The point is to cover someone only who contracts COVID on the cruise and requires isolation, quarantine and/or medical attention.  I see that the UK rates are not including such coverage, but MSC has partnered with a provider as you are still required to have such coverage in order to cruise.  Link is available on their page here: https://www.msccruises.co.uk/itinerary-updates

MSC is not the only example of such policies right now.  Several countries also offer and/or require such policies for travel.  Aruba has had this sort of COVID coverage in place for nearly 18 months; no pre-existing condition disclosure required and coverage similar to that described above.

• Like 1