Snorkelling and Exploring on our own?

Mocamps

Having been reading these boards for some time now it looks to me that most people seem to book guided snorkelling excursions in French Polynesia? That’s not something we’ve done much in the past but we don’t want to miss out!!

We’re booked onto a 17 day Windstar cruise next month and I’ve been very hesitant about making any firm plans as, like so many people,  all of our planned and then re-arranged trips were cancelled last year and it’s so much hassle getting money back!!

But it’s getting close now so would welcome some advice on where we really need to book organised tours and where we can explore on our own. My husband WAS hoping to dive but has been advised that he now can’t as he had shoulder surgery fairly recently. So it will be mainly snorkelling which we LOVE! We’re not really into much culture but like the natural world like waterfalls, volcanoes and beautiful scenery.  We’re not shoppers!  We like to be fairly active so hiking often features in our plans but not if it’s too hot! The islands we’re visiting are Fakarava, Rangiroa, Tahaa, Raiatea, Moorea (2 days) Bora Bora (3 days there) and Tahiti.

Any advice much appreciated.

Edited by Mocamps

• Mocamps changed the title to Snorkelling and Exploring on our own?

Check out this thread, it has the favorites of lots of us who've snorkeled FP

In addition to these items you might consider renting a car for one of the days you're in Moorea.  You can circumnavigate the island in a couple of hours; add time for stops at beaches, Point Belvedere, and a waterfall hike. 

Since you're at Bora Bora for three days (if you're at all interested in history) you might enjoy any of a wide range of land tours that include the WWII era 6" shore batteries as well as several neat views.  If money is not an issue and you're a bit of an "experience junkie," I can recommend the circumnavigation of Bora Bora by Jet ski.  This is really pricey but great fun.  We did it on our first FP trip and always offer it as a consideration when folks have more than one day (Day one of Bora Bora is ALWAYS snorkeling or diving).

Hope that helps some,

Greg

My advise

Snorkle

1. Bruno's Excursion Blue, it's terrific, but the alternative of doing the WS excursion is just as good, give you more passes of the Coral Garden and skips the shopping stuff (though its fun to do once)  

2. Patrick in Bora Bora, specifically the 3/4 excursion, it's magical 

3. H20 3.5 non lunch is also solid (also Bora Bora)  

Non-Snorkle

1. Its fun to have lunch, off the boat, at Bloody Mary's, or Matira Beach on your own (Bora Bora), after-all you can't visit Tahiti and not consume local poisson cru, and it tastes better in Bora Bora than anywhere else 🙂

2. Villa Mahana (Bora Bora) is something else, especially if you love tasting menu's, they will pick you up and drop you off, just e-mail em, I think it's fun to have one dinner off the boat

3. We love renting those dune buggies in Morrea, (on your own at dockside) and riding a circle around the Isand, it's really fun with other couples, Belvedere Lookout is a must 

4. If you are gonna jet ski, we think circling Bora Bora is the way to go, I mean who doesn't want to look at those peaks, from a jet ski, from every paradise angle, IMO moreso than in Taha or anywhere else

5. If you are on a budget, instead of H20, Patrick, jet skiing, in Bora Bora, or taking a WS or PG excursion, you can just take a taxi to Matira Beach, have lunch, lounge on sand, dip your toes in that shallow water, it mega relaxing, the world stops, and it's FREE

6. Its bloody expensive but I've grown to enjoy those 2-4 days in an overwater bungalow in any island pre our post cruise, Bora Bora being the ultimate island, the report gives you an opportunity to paddelboard, sit on a pool or beach all day, and you can do all the same excursions the ships offer from your resort, hey the water taxing is a ton of fun itself

Hope this helps

JC - Landing in PPT today and heading for a WS Breeze Cruise    

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Bora Bora Patrick's is Maohi Nui. But I recommend H2O Bora Bora and Tohora Bora Bora.

Huahine- Another vote for Tahiti Sailing Charter, website is Huahine Voile. Wonderful. 12 passenger sailboat.

Raiatea- jet ski around Tahaa. Magnificent. Dolphins nearly jumping over the jetski, Raiatea Jet.

Rangiroa, The Aquarium (so many fish) and drift snorkel Tiputa Pass (exciting). We've used the dive company 6 Passengers. Specify snorkel trip as they are primarily a dive company.

Moorea- so much! Moorea Ocean Adventure- day snorkel- see lots of sharks besides the harmless gray tips. Marine Biologist onboard just like Dr.Pooles that the ship offers but much less expensive. Big expense is Mermaid Private Tour, but only 4 passengers for a day around the island. Jet ski-Moorea Activities Center. Rent a car with Avis or Alberts. Day stay at Hilton- great snorkeling beach and spectacular lunch.

Fakarava- the much loved Ato Lissant fakaravaexplorerhotmail.com Full day, the Blue Lagoon, snorkeling, freshly caught fish luncheon. Ato is a character.