Misleading and Deceitul

cusematt4

Hi,

I am looking to cruise with a few older family members and was excited to read about the enhanced HEPA air filters installed on NCL ships for the freshest and safest air.

Their website advertises:

Upgraded Medical-Grade Air Filters
We are strategically installing medical-grade air filters of the highest filtration grade, MERV 13 or HEPA, capable of removing 99.9% of airborne pathogens, including COVID-19, and implementing new bi-polar ionization technology.

I reached out to NCL by phone and email to find out which ships have this installed since none are listed and we would selectively choose a ship with the safest air and latest technology.

NCL told me that this information is private and that they are unable to disclose.  This seems like a marketing ploy rather than an attempt to keep passengers safe.  If some or most ships had this installed, they would gladly list them out and share this with concerned guests.

Does anyone have any info on this or know why NCL is hiding something that should be a good thing unless they haven't done as generally advertised?

• Like 1

All I want to know is what ships have had this new air filter technology installed so I can cruise on a line I enjoy.  Why can't they share this or what is it they are hiding?  I would think they would be glad to share and advertise this so cruisers can feel comfortable cruising on ships with it.

• Like 4

They are in the process of installation. I would assume it's possibly two-fold:

1) The people answering the phones aren't privy to the status of the installation. Maybe call corporate (305.436.4000) and suggest this be communicated.

2) It's possible they don't want to release the information and cause a rush to certain ships and away from others.

• Like 3

Many reasons they would do this. And agreed. Most likely the person on the phone has no idea. 

call corporate and feel free to share your findings so that anyone else also curious or concerned can become informed. 

I imagine it is quite the undertaking, and glad they are doing it.  We are learning a lot more about Sick building syndrome and a move for better air quality in all buildings was a long time coming 

This was the email response from corporate - 

Thank you for your patience as I sought more information.   We are, unfortunately, unable to disclose the information requested.

If this was something that was installed in all ships, wouldn't it not say "being strategically installed" and instead say "on all ships"?  All I want to do is cruise on a ship that has the latest air filtering technology so I feel safe with older family.

10 minutes ago, cusematt4 said:

This was the email response from corporate - 

Thank you for your patience as I sought more information.   We are, unfortunately, unable to disclose the information requested.

If this was something that was installed in all ships, wouldn't it not say "being strategically installed" and instead say "on all ships"?  All I want to do is cruise on a ship that has the latest air filtering technology so I feel safe with older family.

You are reaching.  Something could easily be "strategically installed" on all ships.  For example (very dumbed down) if there are 10 filters on a ship but you only need to change four of the ten to reach the objective if the correct four are chosen, that is "strategically" replacing filters.

You are reading something that is not being stated.

• Like 2

I'll put in my professional two cents, and say that all the talk of HEPA filters on the ships is mainly PR anyway.  There is no data to support that any viable virus can be present at a filter after the distance it would have travelled from any space to the central air handler.  Any pathogen, or even particulate, would likely not still be airborne, and where studies have shown that viruses have traveled a distance in a duct system, there is no evidence that the virus was still viable.  Even the ASHRAE has stated that while HEPA filters may improve overall air quality, they don't feel they are a requirement for most HVAC systems.  Otherwise, every building in the world would be a "super spreader" for covid.

As another poster stated, the term "strategically" placed, to me professionally, means that they are not changing out every filter on the ship, just those that they feel need it.  Details of a ship's ventilation system are of interest to terrorists, and are therefore "restricted data", where even senior officers on the ship are not told about them.  This is all spelled out in the cruise line's ISPS (International Ship and Port Security) Code.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 7