Denali Road Closure 2022 Season

laurap414

Due to global warming there have been repeated landslides on the road into Denali National Park. Apparently a section of the road was built on a glacier which is slowly melting. Anyway I have confirmed with the bus company that the road will not be open to bus tours past mile 43 for the entire 2022 season due to them having to repair the road. 😭 I don't know exactly what is past mile 43 but it appears from the NPS web site that the spectacular views and wildlife viewing is found deeper into the park... maybe someone can confirm. The HAL Tundra Wilderness Tour is supposed to go to mile 62.  

More info below on what's at the various mile markers.

The email:
"Thank you for your e-mail. We are sorry but the road will not be open past mile 43 for the 2022 season. A bridge will be under construction which will prevent any vehicles from traveling any further. We hope that it will be fully open for the 2023 season."

Laura:  This has been discussed on other Alaska forum threads.  Due to thawing section of permafrost the one road into Denali National Park has indeed been closed at the area called Pretty Rocks.  The road was closed last August before the end of the summer season and will remain closed for 2022 as a solution is created.   The road is closed at mile 42.  The road extends roughly 92 miles into the park, and Eielson Visitor's Center is located at mile 66.  The Tundra Wilderness Tour will not go to mile 62.

I know but there was a lot of debate and hopeful speculation about various feats of engineering and possible entry into the park early in the season :-)

Also neither the NPS web site nor the bus operator web site has this information definitively posted yet so I thought I'd pass it along. 😊

• Thanks 1