Baby Beach Questions

sunlover2

Baby Beach can get very crowded when the cruise ships are in port, and is crowded with the locals on the weekends. There is a restaurant onsite. The bathrooms are behind the restaurant in an outbuilding. They charge for use of the bathrooms unless you purchase food or drinks at the restaurant. Baby Beach is about a 30 - 45 minutes drive from the Port, and is an expensive taxi ride. I've been there many times, and frankly,  I think that it is overrated. There are far nicer beaches in Aruba that are easier to get to, but none within walking distance. 

Edited by Hatteras51

On 11/8/2021 at 2:41 PM, Hatteras51 said:

Baby Beach can get very crowded when the cruise ships are in port, and is crowded with the locals on the weekends. There is a restaurant onsite. The bathrooms are behind the restaurant in an outbuilding. They charge for use of the bathrooms unless you purchase food or drinks at the restaurant. Baby Beach is about a 30 - 45 minutes drive from the Port, and is an expensive taxi ride. I've been there many times, and frankly,  I think that it is overrated. There are far nicer beaches in Aruba that are easier to get to, but none within walking distance. 

Which do you recommend?  Sounds like things have changed.  We were at Baby Beach over 20 years ago on one of our first cruises.  It was pretty much just us and a couple of others but no restrooms or restaurants.

On 11/12/2021 at 11:44 PM, amonaghan said:

Which do you recommend?  Sounds like things have changed.  We were at Baby Beach over 20 years ago on one of our first cruises.  It was pretty much just us and a couple of others but no restrooms or restaurants.

OMG! I see that you live in Richmond! So do I (actually in Midlothian). Small world! The two most popular beaches are Eagle Beach and Palm Beach. Palm is more crowded but the water is very calm. There are also lots of shops and restaurants in that area. Eagle Beach is more spread out, but the water can have gentle waves or pretty large swells. There are a few restaurants in the area but not much shopping.  Both beaches have vendors that rent chairs and umbrellas. 

6 hours ago, Hatteras51 said:

OMG! I see that you live in Richmond! So do I (actually in Midlothian). Small world! 

<snip>

You ain't kidding small world - we live in Powhatan.  Want to get together for  pre-cruise drinks?  We'll be home from our land cruising in December.  Andrea.Monaghan -- gmail

16 hours ago, amonaghan said:

You ain't kidding small world - we live in Powhatan.  Want to get together for  pre-cruise drinks?  We'll be home from our land cruising in December.  Andrea.Monaghan -- gmail

We live about 6 minutes from the Powhatan County line,  off of Robious. We spend 2 - 3 weeks in Aruba every year. A few years ago,  we met some people from Powhatan in the elevator at our resort. It really is a small world! Have fun on your vacation!

Edited by Hatteras51

Plans and thoughts for port days.

Hi all,

Been searching the boards, Viator, TripAdvisor, etc and came up with our plans for port days.  Thought I'd share it with you in case folks are looking for suggestions.  Since we're traveling with friends, we'll be doing them as privates but most can be set up with the tour provider directly as all indicated they have groups.  Personally, we don't tend to do ship excursions unless we're in port for a very short amount of time.   

Sunday PUERTO LIMON, COSTA RICA: In Port 9am-6pm  
Eduardo - Your Lucky Tour  https://yourluckytour.com/
Zipline, Canal tour, National Park, stop at grocery store to buy Costa Rican coffee
Similar to the highlights tours that I've seen offered

Monday Panama: - No plans, probably won't get off the ship.  I'm assuming we'll be able to see the locks from the ship.  Does anyone know if we'll be transiting through a lock on this cruise?

Tuesday CARTAGENA, COLOMBIA: 9am-5pm

CITY TOUR-

We begin our tour in Manga where we will see great mansions built at the beginning of the XX Century.  
We visit the main monuments of the city.  We start at the hill of La Popa from where, besides visiting the monastery and the chapel, we will be able to admire a fantastic view of the city.  Following we head towards the San Felipe de Barajas Fort, the most important fort built in the whole American continent.Photo Stop. Next we walk and drive around the walled area - old city admiring houses and plazas such as Plaza de Santa Teresa, Plaza de Bolivar, Plaza de la Aduana, Plaza de los Coches, full of history and legends. Photo stop at the Palace of the Inquisition.

We do a stop at the Dungeons, which today are 23 handcraft shops. (option to walk the walls)

We Visit a Church called San Pedro Claver Church.

Time 4:00 hours

Wednesday ORANJESTAD, ARUBA: arrives 5pm overnight

Made reservations for 6pm at a restaurant on the beach. Flying Fishbones. 

Thursday ORANJESTAD, ARUBA: departs at 6pm
Around Aruba Tours, 
3 hr Private jeep tour with a drop off at Boca Catalina for snorkeling.  
Seating Capacity: Four-Seater with a/c
Tour Inclusions: Driver/Guide, Non-alcoholic drinks (Coke, Water Bottle & Ice Tea), and Free pick-up & drop-off facility.
Suggested Sightseeing Attractions: Natural Bridge, Baby Bridge, Wariruri Beach, Alto Vista Chapel, Shark Bay, Andicuri Beach, California Lighthouse, Three Bridges, Black Stone Beach, Arikok National Park, Conchi Natural Pool, Bushiribana Gold Ruins, Cave Natural Pool, Ayo & Casibari Rock Formations, Philip's Animal Garden, and wherever else you want.

FYI: For this one, we are not planning on swimming in Natural Pool or having them wait while we snorkel.  If you want that included recommendation was to do 4hr tour.  Our plan is walk down to a more populated area to either take the bus or a cab to Arashi beach or back to the ship.

Be well.

• 1 month later...
On 11/19/2021 at 1:56 AM, amonaghan said:

Plans and thoughts for port days.

Hi all,

Been searching the boards, Viator, TripAdvisor, etc and came up with our plans for port days.  Thought I'd share it with you in case folks are looking for suggestions.  Since we're traveling with friends, we'll be doing them as privates but most can be set up with the tour provider directly as all indicated they have groups.  Personally, we don't tend to do ship excursions unless we're in port for a very short amount of time.   

Sunday PUERTO LIMON, COSTA RICA: In Port 9am-6pm  
Eduardo - Your Lucky Tour  https://yourluckytour.com/
Zipline, Canal tour, National Park, stop at grocery store to buy Costa Rican coffee
Similar to the highlights tours that I've seen offered

Monday Panama: - No plans, probably won't get off the ship.  I'm assuming we'll be able to see the locks from the ship.  Does anyone know if we'll be transiting through a lock on this cruise?

Tuesday CARTAGENA, COLOMBIA: 9am-5pm

CITY TOUR-

We begin our tour in Manga where we will see great mansions built at the beginning of the XX Century.  
We visit the main monuments of the city.  We start at the hill of La Popa from where, besides visiting the monastery and the chapel, we will be able to admire a fantastic view of the city.  Following we head towards the San Felipe de Barajas Fort, the most important fort built in the whole American continent.Photo Stop. Next we walk and drive around the walled area - old city admiring houses and plazas such as Plaza de Santa Teresa, Plaza de Bolivar, Plaza de la Aduana, Plaza de los Coches, full of history and legends. Photo stop at the Palace of the Inquisition.

We do a stop at the Dungeons, which today are 23 handcraft shops. (option to walk the walls)

We Visit a Church called San Pedro Claver Church.

Time 4:00 hours

Wednesday ORANJESTAD, ARUBA: arrives 5pm overnight

Made reservations for 6pm at a restaurant on the beach. Flying Fishbones. 
 Hello,
Did you take this tour? Going to Aruba in February and it sounds good!
TIA,
Pam
Thursday ORANJESTAD, ARUBA: departs at 6pm
Around Aruba Tours, 
3 hr Private jeep tour with a drop off at Boca Catalina for snorkeling.  
Seating Capacity: Four-Seater with a/c
Tour Inclusions: Driver/Guide, Non-alcoholic drinks (Coke, Water Bottle & Ice Tea), and Free pick-up & drop-off facility.
Suggested Sightseeing Attractions: Natural Bridge, Baby Bridge, Wariruri Beach, Alto Vista Chapel, Shark Bay, Andicuri Beach, California Lighthouse, Three Bridges, Black Stone Beach, Arikok National Park, Conchi Natural Pool, Bushiribana Gold Ruins, Cave Natural Pool, Ayo & Casibari Rock Formations, Philip's Animal Garden, and wherever else you want.

FYI: For this one, we are not planning on swimming in Natural Pool or having them wait while we snorkel.  If you want that included recommendation was to do 4hr tour.  Our plan is walk down to a more populated area to either take the bus or a cab to Arashi beach or back to the ship.

Be well.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/8/2021 at 4:41 PM, Hatteras51 said:

What is your favorite beach?  We will be arriving on Celebrity Equinox.  Plan is to take a cab to zen rovers for lunch and then on to a beach afterwards. We’ve been to Zeerovers once and loved it. 
Thanks for your help. 

4 hours ago, Ugaaucruisers said:

What is your favorite beach?  We will be arriving on Celebrity Equinox.  Plan is to take a cab to zen rovers for lunch and then on to a beach afterwards. We’ve been to Zeerovers once and loved it. 
Thanks for your help. 

Since you've been to Zeerovers before,  you know that it's pretty far from the cruise port. Many days the line to order is very long. It's taken us 30 - 45 minutes just to get up to the order counter several times.  I assume that you are renting a car. Since you will already be in Savaneta, you could continue on to Baby Beach, or head back to a beach that is closer to the port. Reflextions is a beach club, close to the airport.  That would be a good option, along with Surfside Beach. Both have chairs, umbrellas,  drinks and food. They are fairly close to each other, before you get back into town.

14 hours ago, Hatteras51 said:

Since you've been to Zeerovers before,  you know that it's pretty far from the cruise port. Many days the line to order is very long. It's taken us 30 - 45 minutes just to get up to the order counter several times.  I assume that you are renting a car. Since you will already be in Savaneta, you could continue on to Baby Beach, or head back to a beach that is closer to the port. Reflextions is a beach club, close to the airport.  That would be a good option, along with Surfside Beach. Both have chairs, umbrellas,  drinks and food. They are fairly close to each other, before you get back into town.

Thanks for the info. Where is the closest car rental office to the port?  We were thinking a rental car would be great because it wasn’t easy getting a taxi back to the port on the previous visit. 
Thanks!

• 2 months later...

We've been to Baby Beach many times (land vacations) and it gets busy even on non-ship days. We've even been during covid and it was crowded. But, the beach is large and there's plenty of space to spread out. The beach does extend on over (toward the parking lot) and you won't find many people over there (but it's away from the chair/umbrella rental. If you are interested in plenty of pictures you can find them on my blog. Just go HERE to the Aruba area and click beaches and search for Baby Beach. It's my daughters favorite beach.

brandba, I also have Arashi Beach on there (many times) if you are interested. It's one of our favorites as well. 

On 3/20/2022 at 6:13 PM, brandba said:

Anybody know much about Arashi Beach as a place to go from the pier?  Arriving on Celebrity Equinox on April 21.  Arriving early in the morning and there all day.

We have been going to Arashi for many years (from cruises and when staying on the island) as we like it as a jump off point for snorkeling at an off-shore  reef area.  But the snorkel area is nearly 1/3 of a mile from the beach so this is not for everyone...and you do need your own equipment.  Arashi used to be a quiet beach with no facilities other then some picnic tables (often used by local families).  But there is now a small cafe and rest rooms.   Unless things have changed there is only one bus every hour that goes out to Arashi (which is within long walking distance to the Lighthouse).

Most cruisers seem to prefer Palm since that area has lots of eating venue (off the beach) and shopping.  We think Eagle is probably the best beach on the island for those who simply want to relax on the beach, swim, and also have access to some rest rooms a bar and food.  Palm is too commercial for our taste.

Hank

• Like 1

On 3/25/2022 at 9:27 PM, Hlitner said:

We have been going to Arashi for many years (from cruises and when staying on the island) as we like it as a jump off point for snorkeling at an off-shore  reef area.  But the snorkel area is nearly 1/3 of a mile from the beach so this is not for everyone...and you do need your own equipment.  Arashi used to be a quiet beach with no facilities other then some picnic tables (often used by local families).  But there is now a small cafe and rest rooms.   Unless things have changed there is only one bus every hour that goes out to Arashi (which is within long walking distance to the Lighthouse).

Most cruisers seem to prefer Palm since that area has lots of eating venue (off the beach) and shopping.  We think Eagle is probably the best beach on the island for those who simply want to relax on the beach, swim, and also have access to some rest rooms a bar and food.  Palm is too commercial for our taste.

Hank

thanks, Hank.  Is it easy to get to Eagle?  I'm assuming that you rent lounge chairs and umbrellas there.

6 hours ago, brandba said:

thanks, Hank.  Is it easy to get to Eagle?  I'm assuming that you rent lounge chairs and umbrellas there.

Very easy to get to Eagle or Palm vi taxis or the local buses which leave from the bus station across the street from the port.  Some of the beach concessions rent loungers and umbrellas and others may limit their rentals to nearby hotel residents.  Whe you get to the beach just ask.  The same bus lines go to both Eagle and Palm.

Hank

• Like 1