Bora Bora dropped as a port by Royal Caribbean

Markanddonna

1 hour ago, Markanddonna said:

We just received a letter from Royal that Bora Bora is now eliminated as a port and we will be in Moorea two days instead. I wonder if the Papette and Moorea will also be moving to deny docking of these larger cruise ships? 

This is something that has been in the works for a few years but is just being implemented. Large ships will only be allowed to visit Tahiti, Moorea and Raiatea. 

1 hour ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

This is something that has been in the works for a few years but is just being implemented. Large ships will only be allowed to visit Tahiti, Moorea and Raiatea. 

Kahuna,

I know you've said before; but, could you remind us of what constitutes a "large" ship?  Tonnage, number of passengers, etc.

Thanks,

Greg

1 hour ago, gdlamberth said:

Kahuna,

I know you've said before; but, could you remind us of what constitutes a "large" ship?  Tonnage, number of passengers, etc.

Thanks,

Greg

The mayor of Bora Bora wants to limit ships to no more than 1,000 to count on any given day. A few other islands are considering the same ...

Anything with a capacity of more than 3500 will not allowed to visit FP with the exception of Tahiti, Moorea and Raiatea. Over the coming years that will likely be 2500 maximum with some islands like Bora Bora creating their own policy, likely 1000 maximum. 

I would assume many of the cruise lines with large ships are making adjustments now knowing what is likely to happen.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna
  • Thanks 1