Complimentary Steak Option in the MDR?

DrSea

23 hours ago, SKSMIKE5 said:

Just got off Harmony in November and one gentleman in our group got the sirloin steak A LOT and said it was very good.

Frankly the sirloin is my favorite cut.  I won’t refuse a filet but given the choice between a high priced filet and a reasonable sirloin, sirloin wins every time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SeattleAl said:

So, if your eating in the MDR and getting a non-steak entrée...can you also get a steak? Asking for a friend. 

Yes, absolutely. You can also ask them to do this by it-self without all the side items that usually come on the plate. If you are a REALLY big, eater, you could order one of everything on the menu and no-one would say a thing (just don't be wasteful). 

• 11 months later...

Just got off Explorer Nov 6th, our first cruise since Covid started.  Overall, a great experience.  My only surprise and disappointment was that the MDR no longer serves a normal cut steak, at least for free.  Our Prime Rib, and later Beef Tenderloin (as well as others at our table) were slied at about a 1/4 inch thick - basically like a roast beef.  Very weird - something you would never do even at a Ponderosa.  However, in fairness it tasted good and was served medium rare as I ordered.

Question:  Is this the same on all ships? And if so, if this is for cost cutting reasons, why wouldn't they serve the same 5 ounces or so in at least a 3/4 thick medallion/cut?

On 12/6/2021 at 7:38 PM, read2learn said:

The Chops steak is so tender and juicy! The MDR has prime rib and beef tenderloin a couple of nights that is very tender and delicious as well. I was mooing when I left from all the beef !!!  🐄

I had it at Chops in Sept on Liberty and was not impressed. The service I got was dreadful too, I just didn't feel comfortable sending it back for fear they would spit in it. I will try it again sometime, hoping for a different result

I have heard from one of my servers on the Allure last month that the beef tenderloin is made from the same filets that Chops uses...I found this out because I was going to order the filet from Chops in the MDR to give it another go and the server shushed me and whispered this to me. Whether it's true or not...idk...but he I would assume he gets some sort of cut off selling upcharge items so not sure why he turned it down and told me that. 

9 minutes ago, Vacation...Yes said:

We went to Chops last week on Symphony and had ribeye. The service and the meal was wonderful. Only complaint was the asparagus was way undercooked

We were at Chop's two weeks ago on Quantum. Fantastic service and great ribeye.  Only complaint is that I asked for the Berkshire Peppered Pork Belly to be extra crispy, waiter said it could not be done that way so I said forget it and got two jumbo shrimp cocktails.  Just after the shrimp cocktail the head waiter showed up with a extra crispy pork belly... great service.

In general I find the strip steak a good fallback option on RCCL if I can't find anything to my liking on the menu.  There always seems to be that one day every sailing when I need to revert to the strip steak. 🙂 If it's a true strip steak it's normally solidly good, but sometimes they try to swap it out for a sirloin, which just isn't the same.  I like the flavor of sirloin but they are lean.  The tenderness and flavor of the true strip steak tops it.  I order mine medium rare for what it's worth.  It's worth asking the waiter if it's truly strip steak that's being served or a different cut.

Dan