Cruise safety television story and interview

firstimercruiser

Hello everyone,

on the Kerri-Anne show (Channel NINE Australia) there is a story about people going missing on board cruise ships. There was a story about a woman going overboard on Carnival ship in the US. There is also an interview with an Australian family who lost their son overboard on a cruise last year off the Sky.

Did anyone elase watch this?

Trevor

This story was also reported in an article in some women's magazine (womans weekly or something) and my friend who I was cruising with, happened to buy it at the airport on our flight from Melbourne to Sydney, ready to board our cruise. She started reading it and then proceeded to predict our doom of being lost overboard. During our cruise, we actually had two missing passenger scares. Both passengers we eventually found. One lady had been missing for over 24 hrs, and there had been numerous P.A system announcements. The captain eventually told us all the deal and the crew had to do a cabin to cabin search for her. I don't know what would have happened if she hadn't been found, whether we would have altered our course and gone back to look for her:confused: .

This story was also reported in an article in some women's magazine (womans weekly or something) and my friend who I was cruising with, happened to buy it at the airport on our flight from Melbourne to Sydney, ready to board our cruise. She started reading it and then proceeded to predict our doom of being lost overboard. During our cruise, we actually had two missing passenger scares. Both passengers we eventually found. One lady had been missing for over 24 hrs, and there had been numerous P.A system announcements. The captain eventually told us all the deal and the crew had to do a cabin to cabin search for her. I don't know what would have happened if she hadn't been found, whether we would have altered our course and gone back to look for her:confused: .

Where was she for so long??? I hope she was OK!

Someone at work once told me an average of one person per cruise dies or goes missing. Scary hey!

Cheers,

Chaz:)

Surely falling overboard, or not, is a matter of common sense, isn't it??? But, you get your heart attacks etc. They reckon one dies every cruise, and every cruise we have been on, someone has been sent home injured or ill.

On our last cruise hubby saw a man sit his young daughter on the outside rail and take her photo. If I had been there I wouldn't have been able to help myself say something to this plonker.

One was elderly,another was with a honeymoon couple and they found him dead in the cabin.Previously he had had a moterbike acc and with the drink something happened.Another had been drinking before scuba diving on one of the islands. The other one I couldn't verify some said it was a child and another said it was another drink related one. We also had one on our table was in intensive care most of the trip and was sent to Hosp in Sydney.Also the police arrived when we got in Sydney which was understandable but they came near where we were standing and started to interview a young lady about some rape charges :eek: It was a very interesting cruise!!!! Also on our table one lady didn't receive her bag and during the cruise saw a pax using some of her things. P&O did nothing, only told her to fill a claim form in.

Hello everyone,

on the Kerri-Anne show (Channel NINE Australia) there is a story about people going missing on board cruise ships. There was a story about a woman going overboard on Carnival ship in the US. There is also an interview with an Australian family who lost their son overboard on a cruise last year off the Sky.

Did anyone else watch this?

Trevor

I taped it to watch tomorrow Trevor:D

Actually, if the one on the Sky is the one I'm thinking of (last night of cruise? Suicide?), I knew someone who was on that cruise. Also, he was a good frined of one of the guys on Big Brother. (No, I don't watxh it-the kids do & I read it in a magazine.)

Karen

May be of interest to you, but people fall over board quite regularly, this web site lists most 'problems' or 'accidents' that have occured onboard cruise ships.

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/events.html

Now I'm starting to fret! Just how easy is it to 'fall off'? I can understand one doing stupid pranks when drunk, & parents being reckless with their kids:eek:, but what if the ship lurches suddenly when you're admiring the view from out on deck?:(

Now I'm starting to fret! Just how easy is it to 'fall off'? I can understand one doing stupid pranks when drunk, & parents being reckless with their kids:eek:, but what if the ship lurches suddenly when you're admiring the view from out on deck?:(

It is very difficult to fall off if you are being sensible. It would take a migty lurch to throw you overboard. If it was rough enough to lurch the ship enough to throw you overboard - you really shouldn't have been outside anyway and that would fall into the being reckless catergory.

Like anything there is always a "risk" involved, but if you, and the cruiseline, take all the right precautions you'll be fine.

Nerissa you have nothing to fear. It is quite safe around the railings. You would actually have to leap up to go over the rail. The cruise before our cruise a guy took a running leap over the rails, he was apparently plastered!! (Had a fight with DW apparently) Them turned around to find him but alas they didn't.

Kerri

Very very difficult, the railings are at least 1.2m high above the deck.

Only issue I have is with all these big massive ships, is looking down from the deck - I dont particularly like heights, but i just make sure I grip onto one of the railings tightly, and avoid the bits that open - don't ask, for some reason I can't stand at a bit where the railing opens.

I had just dissembarked from the Sun the morning when the crew member who was washing the windows fell and was killed. As far as I know that was the only problem we had, and even that gave me a bit of a sick feeling.

We were never given an explanation as to where the 'missing' lady was for a hole 24hrs, but when the captain announced that she had been found, I don't know if I imagined it, but I thought I detected a slight bit of humour in his voice.;)

Wow, Past it, that sounds like one pretty wild cruise! I imagine these happenings would have disrupted your cruise to some extent?

Very very difficult, the railings are at least 1.2m high above the deck.

Only issue I have is with all these big massive ships, is looking down from the deck - I dont particularly like heights, but i just make sure I grip onto one of the railings tightly, and avoid the bits that open - don't ask, for some reason I can't stand at a bit where the railing opens.

And I thought I was the only one:rolleyes: . I'm the same with piers. If there's no railing or big gaps in the boards I can't go any further.:D

It did a bit,there were these groups of sad,shocked people.You couldn't help but feel for them.I oftem think about the elderly one as on the first island an elderly man on his own came and sat nearby me, he had no top on and was extremely sunburnt. I had to say to him, for him to put his t-shirt back on if he was going back in the water. He just went back in. I reckon he would have had 2nd degree burns by 5.00. That can sometimes be fatal to the elderly.Also the young ones have no idea what can happen when they overdrink.They pass out and vomit in their "sleep".Its so easily done. I'll get off my soap-box now :p

you know what the scariest thing is when at night not when youve had a few drinks to go out on the back deck and look out into the blackness its so freaky!!!

Especially the way the white wake from the ship disapears into the darkness.

Reference dying, natural causes, fairly common on cruise ships, which do have a morgue with caskets.

Not all unusual to see a hearse dockside, along with ambulances for people who are being medically evacuated.

Several years ago (3-92), the Captain of the Royal Princess had to be medically evacuated from the ship, in Curacao, after suffering a heart attack. We saw him being taken off - he was very emotional at losing his command, and his wife was trying to console him. Sadly, he subsequently passed away shortly thereafter.

Archived