When are excursions available for 2022 sailings?

claranda

We’re due to be first-timers on Viking in March and our excursion booking is meant to open tomorrow. However, no excursions are yet showing on MVJ and I’m wondering what is happening with excursions. Do we have to wait closer to the sailing date for them to be available and, if so, does Viking advise by email when they are bookable?

I also see that Viking says that a PCR test is required by Italy, but this is not actually so for Brits. I’ve travelled to Italy with an Antigen test and that is still ok according to the Italians. Is this really a Viking requirement, disguised as an Italian one, and has anyone quizzed them about it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, claranda said:

We’re due to be first-timers on Viking in March and our excursion booking is meant to open tomorrow. However, no excursions are yet showing on MVJ and I’m wondering what is happening with excursions. Do we have to wait closer to the sailing date for them to be available and, if so, does Viking advise by email when they are bookable?

I also see that Viking says that a PCR test is required by Italy, but this is not actually so for Brits. I’ve travelled to Italy with an Antigen test and that is still ok according to the Italians. Is this really a Viking requirement, disguised as an Italian one, and has anyone quizzed them about it?

I think all of the sailings since start up have had delayed excursion viewing and sometimes delayed booking dates.  Often Vikings testing requirement is stricter the the country you are visiting.  One must meet Vikings requirements or the countries, whichever is stricter.  AND the requirements can change even in the week before sailing.  Our last Requirements for Embarkation in Spain was dated November 24 and we sailed November 29.  

• Like 1

Excursions have been entirely out of kilter since sailing resumed in June.  Viking may be ready to sail and we might be ready to sail but the ports are not necessarily ready for us. Many in the tourism industry may have had to find jobs elsewhere during the pandemic and may not return immediately.  

On some sailings, especially those that feature ports that are new to Viking, things may be delayed and the normal booking schedule abandoned.  How long is entirely unpredictable. Communication from Viking may be sparse until they have everything nailed down.  Viking should give you notice of when booking will open but in today's environment, there is no way of predicting when that will be. 

• Like 1

Excursions just showed up yesterday, 96 days out, for my Mediterranean cruise.  Well, except that none are shown for Venice, which is understandable given how much that city is pushing back on cruise ships. I stupidly paid for two non-refundable nights in a hotel there pre-cruise. Hope I don’t end up regretting that decision. 

Yes, ours for March have appeared now and I’ve signed us up. Nothing in Venice or Kotor, but we’ve been to them both often, so it’s not a problem.

Eggtuary, we are also staying two nights in Venice pre-cruise and know we won’t regret it (the hotel has repeatedly carried over our original 2020 ‘non-refundable’ booking, and we’re still using up the credit!). Is it your first time there? Give up at least half a day to just wandering, stopping off for a glass of wine here and there, getting lost….Dorsoduro district recommended!

• Like 2

Claranda, this is our first time to Venice. Heck, it’ll be our first time in Europe!

Thanks for the advice to just wander Venice. Someone else made the same suggestion. Sounds like Venice is the ideal place in Europe to deliberately get lost and see what happens! 😀