Do they open more space on full excursions once on board?

Sharpyling

It depends on the tour operators. If the deem it viable, they will add more vehicles/guides, etc. there’s no guarantee. 

As st Thomas is a US territory, you can probably go to the ports section of this forum and book a private tour whi, provided you go with a reputable company, can be better and cheaper. You may even be on the same tour as one provided by X at a lower price!

• Like 1

The tour operators  X uses usually don’t book individuals because their prices are generally lower than what X charges ( X makes money on the tours) and they can’t, by contract,  compete with the cruise line that has them committed. Try tge Ports of call board, Trip Advisor,  Tours by Locals for options

They often open additional tours if the provider has the resources.   I have also had the opposite and had excursions cancelled and putting me on a different time without telling me.   This just happened on Catalina Island in October.    They did remove it once I dropped by the excursion desk even though less than 24 hours.     The time of 7:00 AM didn't work as Iain refuses to get out of bed that early while on a cruise unless the ship is sinking.

• Like 1