Spirit or Sun for Alaska

kommisarrex

Two grandparents, husband, wife, and 10-year-old granddaughter looking at Alaska cruises this summer. We’ve all been on one previous cruise together to Norway with Disney Cruise Lines in 2016.   That was terrific and we loved almost everything about it.

Now, we definitely want to go r/t Seattle for Alaska. Both the NCL Spirit and Sun offer 9-night itineraries in late August that are similarly priced. I’m having trouble picking one.  Only itinerary difference is the Spirit goes to Endicott Arm and the Sun goes to Glacier Bay.  My understanding is the Spirit is fresh off a refurb and may be a nicer ship.  We’d probably book two ocean view cabins if that makes a difference. Fancy dining is not a priority, but entertainment and kid’s club probably would be.  Any thoughts between these two ships?  

• Like 1

I have been on both but my cruise on Spirit was before the refurb.  My own choice would be to go on the Spirit to see how she is now after the refurb.  However, one consideration for your situation should be confirming what kids activities are available on each ship.  My understanding is that  one aspect of the Spirit refurb was to make it a more adult-oriented vessel.  I think they did remove some of the kid facilities to make more room for adult-focused facilities (spa size increased for instance).   You'll want to check all this out as it may be a major factor in deciding which ship to sail on.

51 minutes ago, kommisarrex said:

Two grandparents, husband, wife, and 10-year-old granddaughter looking at Alaska cruises this summer. We’ve all been on one previous cruise together to Norway with Disney Cruise Lines in 2016.   That was terrific and we loved almost everything about it.

Now, we definitely want to go r/t Seattle for Alaska. Both the NCL Spirit and Sun offer 9-night itineraries in late August that are similarly priced. I’m having trouble picking one.  Only itinerary difference is the Spirit goes to Endicott Arm and the Sun goes to Glacier Bay.  My understanding is the Spirit is fresh off a refurb and may be a nicer ship.  We’d probably book two ocean view cabins if that makes a difference. Fancy dining is not a priority, but entertainment and kid’s club probably would be.  Any thoughts between these two ships?  

I've never been on the Spirit but have been on the Sun twice and love it. Its a great smaller ship, Love the forward Mini Suites 

• Like 1