Covid protocols onboard ACL ships

twototravel

We have a cruise scheduled for April. I hope ACL is watching and learning from the latest cruise ships battling covid and decides to begin a mandatory vaccine policy for all cruises and enforces mask wearing onboard and on excursions. We did the New England cruise this past summer. Vaccines were encouraged but not mandatory and mask wearing was not enforced, even among crew and staff. If anyone has done any cruises lately, can you post how your experience was?

We just canceled our February river cruise on ACL as they are still not mandating vaccines. One of the only cruise lines that I can see that are taking this position and so very concerning.  Perhaps that will change by April, but we had to make the call now. Good luck. 

@maidawebSorry to hear you cancelled. I'm sure you were looking forward to your trip. Even though not mandated or enforced, we did wear our masks in all public areas on our last cruise and avoided the happy hours, etc. At least going on the Puget Sound cruise, the state has made it mandatory for any cruiser leaving out of Washington a PCR test is mandatory and results have to be mailed into ACL before departure. This is in addition to the rapid test everyone gets from ACL just prior to boarding. 

Thanks twototravel! Was our 55th anniversary cruise so we were very much looking forward to it, but my husband is high risk and our doctors and family were adamant that we couldn't go ahead with eating indoors for example, on a cruise with unvaccinated people. It's hard to understand them keeping this position and I reached out multiple times to them before canceling.  I also posted a few weeks earlier on this topic (you can search for it on this board) and had multiple responses with other CC members encouraging cancellation as well.  I hope you figure it out on your end for you, and stay well and have a Happy New Year!

Edited by maidaweb

I am totally shocked that ACL did away with the vaccination requirement.  When I took their Ohio River Cruise on Queen of the Mississippi last September, we had to show proof of vaccination at the pre-cruise hotel in Pittsburgh several hours prior to boarding.  My understanding is that one couple was not allowed to board because they weren’t vaccinated (heard that directly from the vaccinated family member who was supposed to have travelled with them, who was allowed to board).  I can only suppose that ACL wasn’t happy that their ships weren’t filling up, so they did away with the vaccine requirement.

Yes, they changed it in March and I didn't catch it. When I researched in February it was mandatory; then it changed and I just didn't see it until our cruise documents showed up in December.  It's truly hard to comprehend their thinking but that's where it stands as of this week so we canceled. So disappointing. 

24 minutes ago, Globalfish said:

I am totally shocked that ACL did away with the vaccination requirement.  When I took their Ohio River Cruise on Queen of the Mississippi last September, we had to show proof of vaccination at the pre-cruise hotel in Pittsburgh several hours prior to boarding.  My understanding is that one couple was not allowed to board because they weren’t vaccinated (heard that directly from the vaccinated family member who was supposed to have travelled with them, who was allowed to board).  I can only suppose that ACL wasn’t happy that their ships weren’t filling up, so they did away with the vaccine requirement.

16 minutes ago, maidaweb said:

Yes, they changed it in March and I didn't catch it. When I researched in February it was mandatory; then it changed and I just didn't see it until our cruise documents showed up in December.  It's truly hard to comprehend their thinking but that's where it stands as of this week so we canceled. So disappointing. 

They must have changed it later than March because in Sept. 2021 vaccines were still a requirement.  In any event, looks like GREED got in the way of health and safety … and common sense.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Globalfish said:

They must have changed it later than March because in Sept. 2021 vaccines were still a requirement.  In any event, looks like GREED got in the way of health and safety … and common sense.

Interesting. I booked in June and they are saying they had changed it in March and it's on me for not catching it (I had researched in February but didn't commit until June.)  So although I had insurance, by the time I read about it in my cruise documents, I could only get 90% reimbursement, not 100%. If indeed they changed it AFTER I booked, I would think would have been different outcome. But I do know some ports REQUIRED vaccination (like Seattle), so perhaps your cruise in September had a port that did require it.  They say they are "capped" at 5% unvaccinated allowed by CDC, but to my knowledge they are the only cruise line allowing this that I could see.  Either way, it's off the table for us for sure.

Edited by maidaweb

48 minutes ago, maidaweb said:

Yes, they changed it in March and I didn't catch it.

31 minutes ago, Globalfish said:

They must have changed it later than March because in Sept. 2021 vaccines were still a requirement.

I think you're both right.  In March ACL abruptly changed from a "must have PCR test if not vaccinated" to a "vaccinations mandatory" policy (see cwatts' 3/19/21 "ACL requiring vaccinations now!" post in this forum). Then on April 10 they went back to "PCR OK," but said by 1 July 2021 everyone would have to be vaccinated.  Yet when we boarded the Melody this September, the policy there appeared to be back to "PCR OK"  So the situation keeps changing. ACL should mandate vaccinations and be done with it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DaveinCharlotte said:

I think you're both right.  In March ACL abruptly changed from a "must have PCR test if not vaccinated" to a "vaccinations mandatory" policy (see cwatts' 3/19/21 "ACL requiring vaccinations now!" post in this forum). Then on April 10 they went back to "PCR OK," but said by 1 July 2021 everyone would have to be vaccinated.  Yet when we boarded the Melody this September, the policy there appeared to be back to "PCR OK"  So the situation keeps changing. ACL should mandate vaccinations and be done with it. 

Unless they decide to change it, as of a few days ago when I canceled their policy was up to 5% of passengers can be unvaccinated. And no, we wouldn't know who those passengers were (like bracelets or something), so no way that you could plan accordingly for meals, etc. They said the "owner believes unvaccinated people can still be able to cruise."   A few itineraries I believe have ports that require it, but ours was a Mississippi cruise and didn't.

It will be interesting to see what happens with ACL cruises in the next few weeks/months since CDC is now telling people do not cruise even if you are vaccinated. They were exempt from CDC rules because of the low maximum passenger number and started back their cruises way before the bigger ships did. My cruise in April is all paid for, with the pre-night package, and our flights are booked. Hoping it all turns out well.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, twototravel said:

It will be interesting to see what happens with ACL cruises in the next few weeks/months since CDC is now telling people do not cruise even if you are vaccinated.

Yeah, if that doesn’t do it, nothing will.

Edited by Globalfish
Typo

I think we were fortunate cruising in June, between the availability of vaccines and the Delta variant, from a port that required vaccines. I'm not sure I'd want to chance it now. We got lucky. I hope things get better soon.

Edited by nybumpkin
  • Like 1

On 12/30/2021 at 2:20 PM, twototravel said:

It will be interesting to see what happens with ACL cruises in the next few weeks/months since CDC is now telling people do not cruise even if you are vaccinated. They were exempt from CDC rules because of the low maximum passenger number and started back their cruises way before the bigger ships did. My cruise in April is all paid for, with the pre-night package, and our flights are booked. Hoping it all turns out well.

We're booked and all paid for April as well, on the Northwest Pioneers Columbia & Snake Rivers cruise.  Things are changing so rapidly that I'm taking a wait and see position.

23 hours ago, twototravel said:

@CarolynFH Please post if you get any emails from ACL about your cruise and I will do the same.

Will do.  We paid our balance on Monday and have yet to receive the promised email confirmation, so I'm glad I printed out the relevant pages.  ACL doesn't have any problems sending us ads for their cruises, so I know it's not that they can't find us!

I noticed ACL has made a few changes to their COVID Protocol information: 

"Guests will be required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination and complete a pre-embarkation health declaration certifying their vaccination status. Vaccination requirements may vary by state and region travelled, but all eligible guests should become vaccinated.

All crew members must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.

Guests are considered fully vaccinated if they have received the full regimen of doses required by the vaccine manufacturer. There is not currently guidance on the expiration date of COVID-19 vaccines, but COVID-19 vaccine booster shots are in the time period required to maintain vaccine effectiveness are strongly recommended.

In the rare instance that a guest may be unvaccinated, that individual will be subject to additional testing and quarantine requirements that may affect their ability to travel or participate in the cruise, including the ability to explore ports of call or join organized events onboard or ashore. Any unvaccinated guest is advised that vaccines may become required with minimal notice prior to their cruise."

"American Cruise Lines also recommends pre-travel testing no more than 3 days prior to travel. Any unvaccinated guest must take a molecular COVID-19 test (i.e. NAAT or PCR test) no more than 3 days prior to travel and email the results to healthsafety@americancruiselines.com prior to boarding. Unvaccinated guests will also be administered an antigen test on embarkation day and routine testing no less than every 3 days during the cruise."

On 12/30/2021 at 6:44 AM, Globalfish said:

We cruised on ACL in July. No Vaccine requirement for American Jazz then. I've posted my DH's story here...

January 10, 2022: Log In Issues/Disappearing Posts & Replies American Cruise Line - poor Customer Service re: Covid 19 reporting

22 hours ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

We cruised on ACL in July. No Vaccine requirement for American Jazz then. I've posted my DH's story here...

January 10, 2022: Log In Issues/Disappearing Posts & Replies American Cruise Line - poor Customer Service re: Covid 19 reporting

I just read your earlier post about your experience. As disappointed as we are, it was an easy choice to cancel based on their lack of requirements for vaccines. In fact this article from CC just appeared in my emails - so many cruise lines are not only requiring vaccines, they are requiring boosters.  It's hard to comprehend ACL's position so we each have to do what feels best for us in terms of risk. I hope you and your husband are doing well. https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/6676/?et_cid=3509160&et_rid=24340951&et_referrer=NULL

16 hours ago, maidaweb said:

I just read your earlier post about your experience. As disappointed as we are, it was an easy choice to cancel based on their lack of requirements for vaccines. In fact this article from CC just appeared in my emails - so many cruise lines are not only requiring vaccines, they are requiring boosters.  It's hard to comprehend ACL's position so we each have to do what feels best for us in terms of risk. I hope you and your husband are doing well. https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/6676/?et_cid=3509160&et_rid=24340951&et_referrer=NULL

Thanks....we're both doing well and feel blessed that DH has recovered well enough that we're boarding Navigator of the Seas today (no flying) for a 7 nt cruise. We're comfortable with RCI's protocols re: Covid. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2022 at 7:14 AM, twototravel said:

I noticed ACL has made a few changes to their COVID Protocol information: 

"Guests will be required to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination and complete a pre-embarkation health declaration certifying their vaccination status. Vaccination requirements may vary by state and region travelled, but all eligible guests should become vaccinated.

All crew members must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.

Guests are considered fully vaccinated if they have received the full regimen of doses required by the vaccine manufacturer. There is not currently guidance on the expiration date of COVID-19 vaccines, but COVID-19 vaccine booster shots are in the time period required to maintain vaccine effectiveness are strongly recommended.

In the rare instance that a guest may be unvaccinated, that individual will be subject to additional testing and quarantine requirements that may affect their ability to travel or participate in the cruise, including the ability to explore ports of call or join organized events onboard or ashore. Any unvaccinated guest is advised that vaccines may become required with minimal notice prior to their cruise."

"American Cruise Lines also recommends pre-travel testing no more than 3 days prior to travel. Any unvaccinated guest must take a molecular COVID-19 test (i.e. NAAT or PCR test) no more than 3 days prior to travel and email the results to healthsafety@americancruiselines.com prior to boarding. Unvaccinated guests will also be administered an antigen test on embarkation day and routine testing no less than every 3 days during the cruise."

On 1/14/2022 at 7:12 PM, CarolynFH said:

Good to know that pre-travel testing is now recommended rather than required for vaccinated guests.  OTOH, who knows how much policies will change between now and our cruise in mid-April?

Well, after completing our documents online, I read through the additional documents ACL posted and now see that the state of Washington requires NAAT or PCR testing "3 days before travel" for all cruise passengers, vaccinated and not.  I've sent ACL an email asking for a link to that regulation, because I couldn't find it anywhere on the Washington state websites, and also asking how we were to get those tests, given that we arrive in Portland 3 days before the ship docks in Washington state.  I hope the regulations change before April, because my dad is now wanting to cancel just because of the testing requirement, not because of any concern about contracting Covid-19 on board!

Edited by CarolynFH

• 4 weeks later...

Good news for Columbia and Snake River cruises this morning:  My dad, who's booked with us on Northwest Pioneers in April, emailed ACL to ask about pre-cruise testing.  He's been obsessed with the possibility of being denied boarding by a (possibly false) positive test.  He forwarded me an email reply this morning where ACL said they no longer require NAAT/PCR tests 3 days before cruising.  They do still test the morning of the cruise, and if positive, he'd be denied boarding and issued a refund.  I told him I'm confident that none of us will test positive, and I'm hoping this answer from ACL will calm him down and let him enjoy planning.  Time to talk about optional excursions!