Rapid Diagnostic test..ID Now

momrox1

Is a rapid molecular test aka Rapid Diagnostic test..ID Now ..for covid accepted as proof of negative covid test on MSC ? It's given by walgreens.

I'd specifically like to hear from someone who has used this test for admittance to their cruise.

The turnaround for pcr is now 72 hours and today should have been the day CVS loaded my testing date and it's the only date not added. They've added January 17th and 19th but not the 18th which is the day I need my test. 🙄
Thank you

I have not had the test but yes they accept it. I am curious, why on the 18th? The test takes 24 hours but usually comes back in less than that.  Are you sailing to the Bahamas or Caribbean? MSC requires negative antigen or RT-PCR test taken no more than 2 days prior to ship embarkation.  It doesn't state it has to be 2 days before.  Maybe I am missing something.

OMY ready2cruzagain you are so right!  Duh!  I was so fixated on the 48 hour thing I hadn't even considered that I could take it on the 19th.  Thank you and that is why I love these boards!  

This whole covid testing and all of the changes have begun to make me need a vacation lol

Judy

15 minutes ago, momrox1 said:

OMY ready2cruzagain you are so right!  Duh!  I was so fixated on the 48 hour thing I hadn't even considered that I could take it on the 19th.  Thank you and that is why I love these boards!  

This whole covid testing and all of the changes have begun to make me need a vacation lol

Judy

Actually it isn't even 48 hours, it is 2 days.  They don't go by hours 

Edited by ready2cruzagain

2 hours ago, momrox1 said:

Is a rapid molecular test aka Rapid Diagnostic test..ID Now ..for covid accepted as proof of negative covid test on MSC ? It's given by walgreens.

I'd specifically like to hear from someone who has used this test for admittance to their cruise.

The turnaround for pcr is now 72 hours and today should have been the day CVS loaded my testing date and it's the only date not added. They've added January 17th and 19th but not the 18th which is the day I need my test. 🙄
Thank you

We are getting the NAAT as a backup/second test. But we haven’t “tested” with boarding on MSC with it yet. 

our first test will be at home monitored test (the monitored binnnax from optum .com) which we’ll get results in 15 minutes. That is accepted for fully vaccinated US residents. 

• Like 1

I used the test I acquired from the "ID Now" link when I boarded the Meraviglia back in September. It is actually the BinaxNow test from Abbott, but you have to be careful to get the "AG Card" version (which is proctored) and not the OTC version (which is not accepted). Also, the tests do have a fairly short shelf life, so I would recommend you don't order them until a month or two before your cruise.

Edited by TnTom

45 minutes ago, TnTom said:

I used the test I acquired from the "ID Now" link when I boarded the Meraviglia back in September. It is actually the BinaxNow test from Abbott, but you have to be careful to get the "AG Card" version (which is proctored) and not the OTC version (which is not accepted). Also, the tests do have a fairly short shelf life, so I would recommend you don't order them until a month or two before your cruise.

Also, have a back up box. One of our vials was totally empty.

3 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

Also, have a back up box. One of our vials was totally empty.

From what I have been reading this seems to be a fairly common occurrence.

Will they replace that particular test or are you SOL?

My friend gets his PCR test weekly from CVS. He always has always gotten his results back the next day in the late afternoon.  However the last time, he did not get it till midnight the next day, which still would be ok for the cruise. However this can vary by state and labs.  Its a big dicey these days.  MSC seems to be more stringent on safety than say Carnival which I heard ran at 80% capacity recently which is a big no no in my book. I expect cruises in January to run at 25% full capacity or lower.  Just my guess.  No lines and better social distancing.