Picture-A-Week 2022 - Week 04

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, January 24 and Sunday, January 30.

Pretty much the las chance for a January posting this year. Just sayin'...

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

First time trying to upload here. Hopefully you will see a Royal Caribbean ship leaving Cozumel early last week. OOPS! wrong week - sorry!

8C3A697.jpg

Edited by icft
Apologize for posting in wrong place
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, icft said:

First time trying to upload here. Hopefully you will see a Royal Caribbean ship leaving Cozumel early last week. OOPS! wrong week - sorry!

8C3A697.jpg

Don't worry. As stated at the top, no prizes are given out and conversely, no penalties for forgetting what week it is. Happens to cruisers a lot! 🙂

Dave

Sunday at the Toyota Sports Center in El Segundo for more youth hockey. Matthew's team has come a long way since we attended the first few games a year or so ago. Back then, the team looked less like the Mighty Ducks and more like ducks in a pond when you throw bread in the water, with the puck as the bread. How practice has changed things. The flock has become a winning team and I saw something that I wish there was more of in everyday life. The kids regularly passed up a chance to shoot and instead, passed the puck to another teammate who had a much better chance of scoring. Matthew doesn’t often get a chance to score but knows that his defensive work contributes equally to a win. We need more teamthink like this in our lives.

In It to Win It

991729708_2022-04InItToWinIt.thumb.jpg.fb0127da92852c8920551caac8aa2def.jpg

Dave

• Like 6

Well it was cold in South Florida this weekend.  I know, for the rest of you, different definition of cold.  But down here, a high of 55 and a low of 34 was quite rare - it hadn't happened since 2010 in fact!  I absolutely loved it - but much of the local wildlife was not very happy, especially our cold-blooded reptile friends who need sun and heat to stay warm.  Even the warm-blooded birds seemed a little confused - many just standing still and wondering if they forgot to fly south for the winter.

Some of the cold critters I shot that lovely weekend of the 29th and 30th - which in a few cases repeat some of the highlights of the prior weekend - both with the hawk action, and with the chuck-will's-widow who I found again:

Egyptian goose, probably thinking this does NOT feel like Egypt:

original.jpg

A 'green' iguana...while that's his name, he's more like an olive and black colored iguana, as he changed his skin color to its darkest setting to try to absorb all the heat possible...at around 38 degrees, they go into a hibernative, paralyzed state and fall out of the trees, which indeed they did by Sunday morning:

original.jpg

The lovely female painted buntings didn't seem to mind too much - they're small and fuzzy and can probably retain heat fairly well:

original.jpg

The colorful male painted bunting has enough darker colors to probably absorb even more warmth - they were busy eating and flying back and forth:

original.jpg

Meanwhile, the roseate spoonbills were wondering what was going on...they're accustomed to Mexico's east coast and the gulf-coast states of the U.S., and rarely experience cold weather like this:

original.jpg

Last week's thread, I shared dueling hawks chasing each other over a least bittern kill.  Well the same (probably) two hawks, the darker juvenile male and an adult female, were dueling again, but this time it just looked to be for play, or maybe courting:

original.jpg

And once again, I was able to locate at least one of the two chuck-will's-widows from the prior weekend - it had moved to a different spot about 30 feet from where it was before, while I couldn't locate the other one at all:

original.jpg

And a pied-billed grebe was cruising through the cold waters, at least picking up some of the beautiful clear blue sky and sun, despite the cold:

original.jpg

• Like 6