Picture-a-week 2022 week 05

Docker123

Dave called for teamwork in his post, so here goes.

Pictures taken between Monday, January 31 and Sunday, February 6.

Pretty much the last chance for a January posting this year. Just sayin'...

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

Edited by Docker123
  • Like 1

• Docker123 changed the title to Picture-a-week 2022 week 05

Well, no self-interest in creating the thread 😜

Friday morning was a gathering of the Photography Walk for Wellbeing group  in Melbourne (Oz).monthly get together with a topic given to us by the convenor (in person or over fb — was so important during our very long lockdown). About 60-90 minutes wandering, the meet for coffee. Later post some images to the fb page.

Yesterday’s topic was city life in 35mm. 

A few of my images:

Three business men who brought their own lunch

84EABB8D-FCA2-4639-B70F-216B1ABE49A3.thumb.jpeg.3c0e8aed870bb547ba912c9a5210b2ab.jpeg

72F8222A-C99A-476C-BA97-CC6E2F72F804.thumb.jpeg.b47b81d706eb5bac956e881002732fbd.jpeg

Larry La Trobe (La Trobe was the first leader of the Colony of Victoria)

2462B755-5290-4D33-93B5-9740ED325A31.thumb.jpeg.3984f60f8715ed70045998decccf0f41.jpeg

• Like 5

Last week, I posted a photo of a 1.44MB floppy disk with a tiny 128GB micro-SD card sitting on it. The contrast in size and capacity of media over a 30-year span illustrates the speed at which tech is advancing. The 212MB hard drive shown here is from my first DIY computer. It was the size of a small suitcase, had a 486-33 processor, 4 MB of RAM and more storage that anybody needed in late 1991. The reason my phone is there is because it has roughly 1,000x the processing power, 600X the storage, 1,500x the amount of RAM and can transfer data with no wires at 100x faster that that (for its time) beast of a computer. This advancement is amazing and will continue to amaze until some idiot gives a smart AI legs and a gun. Then the screaming begins.

Next Stop: Skynet

1427017689_2022-05NextStopSkynet.thumb.jpg.3cfef8ac0264a41f73eaef3afcc5ebe6.jpg

Dave

• Like 5

Whew!  Busy week with work - I'm headed up to Disney World Friday, so been trying to catch up and make a hole at work - after getting out and shooting Saturday and Sunday at the wetlands, it took until now to get all the photos sorted and uploaded to my galleries to share.

So better late than never, here's the weekend action at the wetlands:

A red-shouldered hawk with a snake catch for lunch:

original.jpg

An owl box that got taken over by honey bees:

original.jpg

The chuck-will's-widow continues to stick around, and though he relocates every day, with some hard work and a keen eye, I've managed to find him each weekend.  This time, he was up on a branch off the ground rather than directly on the ground as he has been the last two weekends:

original.jpg

And here's a rare moment when he lifted his head off his body - you so rarely get to see what this thing looks like, because it's usually all hunkered down:

original.jpg

Big green iguana in his orange mating colors, lounging out:

original.jpg

A brown water snake, raising its head above the reeds to look around:

original.jpg

Normally a very shy, elusive bird, this sora came right out in the open to have a look around the watery world:

original.jpg

Beautiful male blue-winged teal sitting on a pond apple tree over the late afternoon sky-reflected water:

original.jpg

A pair of black-hooded Nanday parakeets flying by in the clear sky:

original.jpg

A male common yellowthroat showing off his colors:

original.jpg

There are marine iguanas in Galapagos that can swim - though many don't realize the green iguanas can swim just fine as well - this guy decided he liked the look of a pond apple tree out on an island, and casually swam right over:

original.jpg

The lovely female belted kingfisher, keeping an eye over the waters below for an opportunity to strike at a fish:

original.jpg

• Like 5