Mahogany Bay and Chairlift or West Bay?

envy4u

Ship offering Mahogany beach and lift for 12.00 pp or should we go to West Bay on our own ? Anybody know approx. cost of the latter ? 

We just want a relaxing day and we do have snorkel equipment but we are not strong swimmers and prefer swallow waters. 

2 hours ago, envy4u said:

Ship offering Mahogany beach and lift for 12.00 pp or should we go to West Bay on our own ? Anybody know approx. cost of the latter ? 

We just want a relaxing day and we do have snorkel equipment but we are not strong swimmers and prefer swallow waters. 

Unless you have mobility problems easy enough to walk to Mahogany Bay for free.

West Bay will require a driver for the day or arrange inclusive transport via some of the individual beach clubs/resorts. Prices will vary.

7 hours ago, envy4u said:

If snorkeling is not a priority, Mahogany Beach is an easy answer. Although you may be able to find a entertain spot. 

If snorkeling is a priority, I think West Bay is a better fit.  As said above there are several resorts which off transport included. If you want snorkeling steps from your lounger Discover Roatan offers a package to Infinity. 

If you are comfortable walking down the beach to access the snorkeling spot, Paradise Beach Club, Bananarama, and Mayan Princess offer day passes. 

Or you can arrive to West Bay Beach via the Tabyana option from the ship. Tabyana is a day trip only part of West Bay, it shares a property line with Infinity. 

West Bay is supposed to be some of the best snorkeling in the Caribbean. It is on the western side of the island and protected by some of the wind on the east. My understanding is the reef on the beach side is only a few feet deep and no current. should be an easy snorkel. 

I agree the snorkeling in West Bay is good.. 

There is a current traveling toward the wall, but one may not notice it unless you get out past Black Rock and then it becomes a problem, so much water hitting the wall needs someplace to go. 

Utube offers several videos of snorkeling West Bay. 

I have not looked but perhaps someone has posted vids of snorkling Mahogany Bay as well.

This map may help with visuals. It is possible to stay on the beach side of the reef system,  that area gets a heap of traffic. All the yellow flags are were the reef breaches the water, humans should not be in these areas because of possible damage to the reef. The red flags show the boat channel. As you can see most of the outside of the first reef is 20/25feet. The good news is mostly days the water is so clear you can seehe bottom. 

Screen-Shot-2016-06-15-at-4.07.36-PM-960

Edited by Guest 2000
  • Thanks 2

I was by myself and used the Carnival Tabyana Beach Break excursion for $45 last October.  This was a decent rate compared what I'd expect to pay for most cruise excursions.  I think our beach location was right about where the channel with green flags leads out from shore in the above West Bay beach map.  There were beach loungers available in the sun and in the shade and the area was guarded by several security personnel.

The beach is easy to walk and there are restaurants and bars in the area along the beach.  The Carnival excursion only provided tea and lemonade.  There were showers, bathrooms, and changing rooms for use by guests.

For more than one person, the value with a private excursion or independent operator is probably better.  The Carnival excursion could have lasted another hour or even longer.