Excursions from Galway

ann141

You are in UK?  Then rent a car and head to Cong to visit Ashford Castle Hotel and the village itself is very picturesque.  Or head towards Clifden and visit the Alcock and Brown memorial to the first trans Atlantic flight.

Depending on the length of time in port you could drive Galway - Oughterard - Clifden - Kylemore -Leenane - Cong - Galway.

3 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

You are in UK?  Then rent a car and head to Cong to visit Ashford Castle Hotel and the village itself is very picturesque.  Or head towards Clifden and visit the Alcock and Brown memorial to the first trans Atlantic flight.

Depending on the length of time in port you could drive Galway - Oughterard - Clifden - Kylemore -Leenane - Cong - Galway.

Thanks for your reply.We don't want to hire a car but may investigate private tours or just go on a ships excursion

• 1 month later...

Our ship will stop in Galway also, and I've been wondering if there would be enough time or if it would be "worth it" to do a trip to the Aran Islands, assuming any vendors would offer that.  Our ship does not.  Time in port is 8 am - 6 pm (tendered).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kaymoz said:

Our ship will stop in Galway also, and I've been wondering if there would be enough time or if it would be "worth it" to do a trip to the Aran Islands, assuming any vendors would offer that.  Our ship does not.  Time in port is 8 am - 6 pm (tendered).

My personal experience is that the Aran Islands are a good way from Galway., but we were on a tour that stopped several other places as well, so my sense of timing could be off.  We stayed in Ireland after a transatlantic for a few days, Galway specifically.  I cannot recall the name of the tour company we used, but they were wonderful with small vans of about 8 people max.  The day we were to go to Aran Island the sea was too rough and no tours were going, but we were able to visit the Atlantic Way on that same trip.

Edited by GloriaF
  • Like 1