Sting ray swim in Grand Cayman

brocal

There's a post on this on this type of thing on the Grand Cayman board. Most people recommend booking with a smaller independent tour so that the guides can help the people that are freaking out feel more comfortable.

Don't know if this helps or not, but I LOVED the stingray swim we did in Grand Cayman--not only the highlight of our cruise, but one of the best memories of my LIFE! My Dh says the same thing! We booked with Nativeway, who were FANTASTIC--can't say enough good things about them. The stingrays were just amazing...kind of like big, slippery dogs--they were very friendly and you don't have to worry about being stung at all. They'll tell you to shuffle your feet, instead of picking them up, to prevent stepping on a stingray, which would be the only scenario that they might try to 'sting' you. They honestly aren't scary at all. Also, at least with Nativeway, once we were out on the sandbar and the boat was 'parked' you did not have to get into the water. Your daughter coudl stay in the boat for a little while, where you can easily see the stingrays (our guide even lifted one out of the water momentarily for an amazing photo), so she could get used to the stingrays a bit before she got into the water.

We went to Stingray City sandbar with Sotos this past Dec. They were wonderful and gave each one of us (maybe 15 on the boat) all the help and attention we needed. One of my sisters chose not to get in the water and that was just fine. They took some great pictures for us. The rays are awsome (as well as a little intimidating for some) and I would go again in a heartbeat.

Kathy in Maine

Last year we booked the Moby Dick Stingray Swim. It's a smaller charter and we had about 20 people on the boat. The guides were very attentive and educated us all on how to interact with the rays. There were also 2 very small children on the boat and they were sure to keep a close eye on them as they were very timid about jumping into the water. The guides were in the water with us, holding the rays so that we could get a close look/feel of the ray. It's intimidating at first and they really eased us into the experience. Seeing the larger groups that booked with the ship- I think if your daughter is not 100% sure about it you would be better off with a smaller group. We are sailing in September to Grand Cayman and will be using Moby Dick again. I am going with 2 friends that have never done this before so I know this will be a better experience, rather and a cattle call on the larger charters. www.mobydicktours.com

One word: Amazing! This is definitely a "to-do" activity. It's very non-threatening. You are not forced to touch the stingrays (but they might brush up against you). Some people stay on the boat (not as much fun, but makes them feel better). Keep in mind that Grand Cayman is a tender port. This means that the ship does not dock and you will take small tender boats to shore. This also means that if there is rough weather, the day at shore will be cancelled. If it is cancelled, and you have booked your excursion through Carnival, the cost of your excursion will be automatically refunded to your Sail & Sign account that day. That means that even though you will be disappointed about missing the port, you will have the extra money right then to entertain yourself by buying something (extra drinks, souvenirs, or a little charm to make yourself feel better) in the gift shop.

We were there last March and had a bad experience. Our tour was thru the ship. It was very hot and we waited quite a while for the bus. When the buses came they were old school buses with no air. We got caught in traffic and waited and waited to get thru. When we finally got to the water we again waited in the hot sun. They finally told us the boat had hit a reef and was damaged. We had the option to stand and wait in the hot sun while the boat was repaired or go back. We chose to go back. We did get an immediate refund from the ship but we were very disappointed. I would recommend taking one of the small tours and stay away from the big ship tours.

I was very nervous, too. I am not one who likes snorkeling or stingrays. I went because my husband really likes to go. I planned on not getting off the boat (which is an option for your daughter). As I watched everyone in the water having a good time, I adventured off the boat. How could I have come all that way to stay on the boat? I just had to say that I did it!

Once I was in the water, I was not very comfortable. I never felt that I was on danger or anything, but I just don't like creatures of the sea swimming so close. I stayed in the water about 15 minutes and then got back on the boat.

All in all, I am glad I went and now I can say I swam with the stingrays!! I think maybe your daughter may be apprehensive now, but if you guys go, she may just want to give it a try. The important thing would be for her to know that she does not have to get off of the boat if she doesn't feel like it.

We went with Captain Bryans and LOVED IT! Small catamaran, not too many people, good crew.

Walked to their little pick up place (it's a shack, don't worry about it, their service is top notch), rode an air conditioned bus to the catamaran, sailed out to Stingray City, had lots of fun, rode to a snorkel stop, had more fun, sailed back, got back on the air conditioned bus, and back to the port area!

The crew was great with the folks freaking out. NOthing like seeing an elderly gentleman practically climb on top of his wife to get away from them. By the time we left, he was feeding them and holding them...:)

LOVED THEM!

We went with Captain Bryans and LOVED IT! Small catamaran, not too many people, good crew.

Walked to their little pick up place (it's a shack, don't worry about it, their service is top notch), rode an air conditioned bus to the catamaran, sailed out to Stingray City, had lots of fun, rode to a snorkel stop, had more fun, sailed back, got back on the air conditioned bus, and back to the port area!

The crew was great with the folks freaking out. NOthing like seeing an elderly gentleman practically climb on top of his wife to get away from them. By the time we left, he was feeding them and holding them...:)

LOVED THEM!

We toured with Capt. Bryan too!!! I TOTALLY agree with the above post. They were GREAT and it was the highlight of our tours!!!! Wonderful trip!!! :)

We did the stingrays in the Caymans and I absolutely loved it. I had to say it was a little intimidating seeing the things swimming around from the boat. My DW thought they were a little scary though, and still got into the water with me. They look kinda prehistoric looking, but they won't hurt you at all...they feel like jelly.

(check out the Cayman pictures on my page: http://taylorhoneymoon.i8.com/ they are funny:):D:) )

We also booked the Rays, reef and Rumpoint with Nativeways and they were awesome. It was a smaller group than the cruiseline groups and you could stay on the boat if you didn't want to get in the water. I had a blast though I did find it a bit creepy to have so many around my legs. They are very gentle though and I am really glad I had the experience. We bought the DVD from them and it was probably the best money we spent the whole trip. Nice to relive it every once in a while. The snorkeling on the reef was also awesome and Rumpoint beach is beautiful. Have a wonderful time. My daughter told me "no way was she swimming in the ocean with those fish" I think she was the first one in the water! LOL She had a blast.:p

We've been to GC many times, but never did Stingray City. My DH and kids want to go and I think that's great because everybody raves about it. I'm planning to stay on the boat and just watch. My problem is that I LOVE to take pictures, so I sort of want to be in the water near them. Do you think if I don't have any food, the stringrays will know that and not come near me? I don't want them to touch me! And there's no way I could walk carefully and shuffle my feet, because I can see myself jumping and screaming like a fool.

I can't even handle feeding them at Sea World.

Just wandering what others though about the stingray swim. I have a 13 year old daughter who is pretty nervous. Any reassurance out there?

I have been twice to swim with the stingrays. Although I don't snorkel or even swim, I ejnoyed going very much. I also recommend the smaller tour operators over the cruise ship excursions.

I went with Captain Marvin's last time and 88 year young Captain Marvin himself was at the helm of the catamaran! It was a great experience!

For the most part, the rays head for the groups of people with food. So don't worry about getting into the water as well. They are big enough that you can get out of the way if you do see one coming, and if it does happen to brush past you it is nothing more than a cat brushing up against your legs. They don't bite but watch your fingers if you do have food, they are like big vacum cleaners...they will try to suck up your fingers as well.

Go to this video clip at this website http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=64838

Once you are there click on this Click here for the video in Windows Media format (6:36) or Real Video format.

You'll see they are gentle creatures. The first part shows another area where there appears to be "scary" fish (just part of the dramatic video effect), but towards the middle it goes to the stingray sand bar and it is so cool.

Brocal: Try to find out why your daughter is nervous; she may just not understand the logistics of this excursion. Is she a good swimmer in the ocean? You'll be on a sandbar, 3 or 4 feet deep, so you will be able to stand for most of the time (assuming she's not really short), but there will be waves and a current. She could always wear a lifevest or flotation vest if she's not comfortable in the water. The phrase "Swimming with the stingrays" is not accurate- there's little room to actually swim! Also, you don't have to wear the snorkel and mask (the snorkeling is later in the excursions at a reef). My daughter wished she'd brought her regular swimming goggles.

Is she afraid of stingrays because of all the bad stereotyping about stinging, etc? She may be braver if she's wearing water shoes (not needed- but a mental boost). Also, the rays do tend to go to food- just make sure she's not handed food or nearby when the guides dump food into the water. Also, if anyone else in your group does handle food, don't then touch your daughter! The food residue will rub off on her and attract rays. Also, if she initially stays on the boat but then decides to get into the water- make sure that whoever helps her into the water hasn't been handling food.

Please encourage her to try this. It's is a wonderful experience.

Hello!!!

First Mon, I'm no a local boy, I'm Canadian eh?

BOAT RIDE

I've done the Stingray City excursion and would go back in a minute.

When you arrive out on the reef you'll generally anchor a little off, so when you get in the water it may be 4-5 ft deep. A short tread water (20-30 feet) in the bath warm clear blue water will land you on top of the reef in 3 ft of water.

ENTERING THE WATER

Secret...when you enter the water from the boat, don't jump in feet first. Float in and slowly put your feet down. The girls will only zap you if they're afraid or feel they may be hurt (Yes stingrays have feelings!!!). Once you get your feet on the sandbar, the secret to moving around is what they call the "Stingray Shuffle", so named because you don't lift your feet...you just shuffle around the sand.. This is because the girls will sometimes lie on the bottom in the warm sand. If you shuffle, your feet will go underneath them and she'll get up and swim away on you no bother.

GIRLS???

You might wonder why I call them the girls...of the 200+ rays on the bar, over 180 are female. The males are smaller with a width of about 2 feet across whereas the females are about 3-4 feet or twice the size...and they are the lovable ones. The guides from the boat will show you how to handle them and feed them so that you benefit from your short time with these beutiful angels of the ocean.

FEEDING

The guides will usually bring out a bucket of squid once everyone is in the water. When they swirl the bucket around, the girls get the scent and in a flash, (less than 45 seconds), you'll have over a hundred of the girls swimming around your feet, underneath you etc and playing with you.

To feed them, you take a squid in your fist with the tail of the squid showing upward and ensure you tuck your thumb around it and into your fist. Slowly wave the squid in front of you, and one of the girls will come over to you and almost stand on her tail to take the squid while fluttering her fins. She will slowly move her mouth (no teeth) up to the squid. Once you feel her start to suck at the squid, release it and she'll swim away knowing who to come back to for more. These are beautiful, gentle, playful and loving creatures. WARNING...as a previous poster has said...don't rub your feeding hand against your body unless you want to go home with a hickey like you got when you were 16 in the back of a '65 Mustang. One of the girls with us did, and 2 days later she said...you wouldn't believe how I tried to explain to my husband how I got this blue mark on my thigh...Mmmmm????? You too could take home a "Stingray Hickey" as a personal souvenir of some loving you got on the sandbar

PETTING

The guides will show you also, but if you put out your arms, and have your face at water level, some of the girls will swim straight onto your arms and come up to you, lift the front of their snout and literally kiss you. To the touch, they are soft and velvety (and love being petted), a purplish grey on the back and fronts are light grey to white. If you wish to kiss the stinger, it's simple. Once one of the girls swims up to you, extend your arms and let her swim across so you are supporting her with your forward arm. With the other arm, slowly pet her and slide your hand down her back with the palm of the hand onto the underside of her tail. About a foot+/- from the end of her body, slide your thumb over the stinger and gently cock it up bringing her tail out of the water just a bit. Give it a kiss and let her swim away.

PLAYING

The girls love to swim with you. If you can snorkel, don't hesitate to pick one and swim with her. They do get attracted to you if you play and swim with them. I played and fed one girl for 45 minutes. We'd swim together with her on my back, then she'd let me rub her tummy and we'd swim belly to belly.

Whatever you do...there is absolutely nothing to be scared of. Yes, they will rub against you and try to swim between your legs. They love the interaction. Take this chance of a lifetime to experience these gentle angels of the ocean, and cherish your experience for the rest of your life.

Ciao for now!!!

Archived