Acceptable observed Covid Tests (For Brooklyn Embarkation)

gkerlin

I realize that things could be different 87 days from now but I'm planning ahead based on what is what today.

Searching about this I've found some info regarding other lines but nothing from Cunard Passengers.

Has anyone used the Binax Now AG (the online proctored test) for Embarkation in Brooklyn?

I just want to make sure that Cunard accepts that one before I go out and buy it.

I'm going to ask my TA too, but if someone on here as already used it and it was accepted, that would be additional confirmation.

Thanks!

4 hours ago, gkerlin said:

I realize that things could be different 87 days from now but I'm planning ahead based on what is what today.

Searching about this I've found some info regarding other lines but nothing from Cunard Passengers.

Has anyone used the Binax Now AG (the online proctored test) for Embarkation in Brooklyn?

I just want to make sure that Cunard accepts that one before I go out and buy it.

I'm going to ask my TA too, but if someone on here as already used it and it was accepted, that would be additional confirmation.

Thanks!

If they require a test that is observed by a licensed tech, then there are a few places in NYC that will do this with fast results for ONLY $460 per test.

Thank you for asking this question, as I have already purchased the Binaxnow Ag tests in advance of my June 5th TA. The listed descriptions on the Cunard site seemed to indicate that the BinaxNow test would be accepted, but they did not mention any brands by name.  It made me nervous enough to to consider set up an appointment in NYC just in case.

10 hours ago, Landrewm said:

Thank you for asking this question, as I have already purchased the Binaxnow Ag tests in advance of my June 5th TA. The listed descriptions on the Cunard site seemed to indicate that the BinaxNow test would be accepted, but they did not mention any brands by name.  It made me nervous enough to to consider set up an appointment in NYC just in case.

Hi Landrewm,

We are on the 5 June “ferry” too. We are really hoping testing will all be a thing of the past by then. Currently U.K. passengers don’t need to test on return but I know we might need to test to board.

Can you please tell me where you booked your appointment in NYC, we have a night there before we sail?

Thank you very much,

Libby 

On 2/18/2022 at 12:19 PM, Kristal Blade said:

Hi Landrewm,

We are on the 5 June “ferry” too. We are really hoping testing will all be a thing of the past by then. Currently U.K. passengers don’t need to test on return but I know we might need to test to board.

Can you please tell me where you booked your appointment in NYC, we have a night there before we sail?

Thank you very much,

Libby 

Libby if travelling a day before from the UK then from what I presently understand and with current rules,  you can use the same test (If used with the time frame rules)   to enter the USA for Boarding with Cunard as long as it is an observed test and taken two days prior to your voyage. Only if staying longer than one night in the USA would you need a new observed test

What is considered two days prior to my voyage’s departure?
The two-day period is two days before your voyage’s departure from the USA. The two-day timeframe provides you with more flexibility than a 48-hour timeframe. By using the two-day window, your test validity does not depend on the time of your embarkation or the time of the day that your test was administered. For example, if your voyage departure is 4:00 PM on a Sunday, you may board with a negative Covid-19 test that was administered any time on the prior Friday or after.

Can I use the same test I used to enter the USA to embark the ship?

Yes, if taken within the two-day time frame required for embarkation (see 'What is considered two days prior to my voyage’s departure?' above).

All guests will be required to provide evidence of a negative Covid-19 test result at the terminal, this must be paid for and taken prior to arrival. This must be an observed viral (antigen or NATT/PCR) test, taken within two days prior to embarkation.

Please note, testing is NOT provided at the terminal.

If you’re looking for help finding a test facility in New York, this site may help: https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/find-test-site-near-you.

Definition of observed test.

Vaccinated guests may use a medically observed self-test that meets the criteria below. Only medically observed self-tests will be accepted.

The test must be a SARS-CoV-2 viral test (nucleic acid amplification test [NAAT] or antigen test). The testing procedure must include a telehealth service affiliated with the manufacturer of the test that provides real-time supervision remotely through an audio and video connection.

The telehealth provider must confirm the person’s identity, observe the specimen collection and testing procedures, confirm the test result, and issue a report that meets the requirements of acceptable proof of a negative Covid-19 test.

Accepted antigen tests include:

• Rapid antigen test.
  • Viral antigen test.
  • Antigen Chromatographic Digital Immunoassay.
  • Antigen Chemiluminescence Immunoassay.
  • Antigen Lateral Flow Fluorescence.

NAAT tests include:

• PCR - Polymerase chain reaction.
  • RT-PCR – reverse transcription real time PCR.
  • Quantitative PCR (qPCR).
  • Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP) test.
  • Transcription-mediated amplification (TMA) test.
  • Molecular test or molecular diagnostic test.
  • Isothermal amplification.
  • Droplet Digital PCR or digital droplet PCR (ddPCR).
  • Clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats (CRISPR).

What is acceptable proof of my negative Covid-19 test result?
The following formats are acceptable proofs of a negative Covid-19 test: paper negative Covid-19 test results (original only), digital or emailed Covid-19 test results; or record of Covid-19 testing from a healthcare provider including original digital email notification or personal electronic health record.

The negative Covid-19 test result must include:

• Where the test was administered, including information such as the name and contact information for the laboratory or healthcare personnel who performed the test.
  • Type of test (indicating it is a NAAT or antigen test).
  • A specimen collection date within 2 days before cruise departure.
  • Guest’s name and either date of birth, age, or passport number.
  • A negative test result using words or phrases including (and not limited to): Negative; undetectable; SARS-CoV-2 RNA not detected; SARS-CoV-2 antigen not detected; Covid-19 not detected; Not reactive.
  • Test results marked “invalid” are not accepted.

see this link

]https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/the-cunard-experience/sailing-with-confidence/preparing-to-sail/at-the-terminal#brooklyn

Edited by LifeonMars

On 2/18/2022 at 12:49 AM, Lakesregion said:

If they require a test that is observed by a licensed tech, then there are a few places in NYC that will do this with fast results for ONLY $460 per test.

That is nearly more than the cost of the cruise!

On a serious note when is the test needed to be completed for a typical sunday afternoon eastbound departure?

Edited by ace2542

On 2/18/2022 at 12:49 AM, Lakesregion said:

There must be ones cheaper than $460?

1 hour ago, ace2542 said:

There must be ones cheaper than $460?

That was because leaving on the world cruise in Jan 2023 the test had to be administered on a Sunday. I would think it might be a bit less on a week day but then New York is New York where everything is expensive.

2 hours ago, ace2542 said:

That is nearly more than the cost of the cruise!

On a serious note when is the test needed to be completed for a typical sunday afternoon eastbound departure?

Latest Protocol as shown above 

https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/the-cunard-experience/sailing-with-confidence/preparing-to-sail/at-the-terminal#brooklyn

For example, if your voyage departure is 4:00 PM on a Sunday, you may board with a negative Covid-19 test that was administered any time on the prior Friday or after.

Edited by LifeonMars

30 minutes ago, Lakesregion said:

That was because leaving on the world cruise in Jan 2023 the test had to be administered on a Sunday. I would think it might be a bit less on a week day but then New York is New York where everything is expensive.

We might have to cancel if the cost is going to be that expensive. We have months to go before august but only a few before the final payment.

6 hours ago, LifeonMars said:

Libby if travelling a day before from the UK then from what I presently understand and with current rules,  you can use the same test (If used with the time frame rules)   to enter the USA for Boarding with Cunard as long as it is an observed test and taken two days prior to your voyage. Only if staying longer than one night in the USA would you need a new observed test

What is considered two days prior to my voyage’s departure?
The two-day period is two days before your voyage’s departure from the USA. The two-day timeframe provides you with more flexibility than a 48-hour timeframe. By using the two-day window, your test validity does not depend on the time of your embarkation or the time of the day that your test was administered. For example, if your voyage departure is 4:00 PM on a Sunday, you may board with a negative Covid-19 test that was administered any time on the prior Friday or after.

Can I use the same test I used to enter the USA to embark the ship?

Yes, if taken within the two-day time frame required for embarkation (see 'What is considered two days prior to my voyage’s departure?' above).

All guests will be required to provide evidence of a negative Covid-19 test result at the terminal, this must be paid for and taken prior to arrival. This must be an observed viral (antigen or NATT/PCR) test, taken within two days prior to embarkation.

Please note, testing is NOT provided at the terminal.

If you’re looking for help finding a test facility in New York, this site may help: https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/find-test-site-near-you.

Definition of observed test.

Vaccinated guests may use a medically observed self-test that meets the criteria below. Only medically observed self-tests will be accepted.

The test must be a SARS-CoV-2 viral test (nucleic acid amplification test [NAAT] or antigen test). The testing procedure must include a telehealth service affiliated with the manufacturer of the test that provides real-time supervision remotely through an audio and video connection.

The telehealth provider must confirm the person’s identity, observe the specimen collection and testing procedures, confirm the test result, and issue a report that meets the requirements of acceptable proof of a negative Covid-19 test.

Accepted antigen tests include:

• Rapid antigen test.
  • Viral antigen test.
  • Antigen Chromatographic Digital Immunoassay.
  • Antigen Chemiluminescence Immunoassay.
  • Antigen Lateral Flow Fluorescence.

NAAT tests include:

• PCR - Polymerase chain reaction.
  • RT-PCR – reverse transcription real time PCR.
  • Quantitative PCR (qPCR).
  • Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP) test.
  • Transcription-mediated amplification (TMA) test.
  • Molecular test or molecular diagnostic test.
  • Isothermal amplification.
  • Droplet Digital PCR or digital droplet PCR (ddPCR).
  • Clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats (CRISPR).

What is acceptable proof of my negative Covid-19 test result?
The following formats are acceptable proofs of a negative Covid-19 test: paper negative Covid-19 test results (original only), digital or emailed Covid-19 test results; or record of Covid-19 testing from a healthcare provider including original digital email notification or personal electronic health record.

The negative Covid-19 test result must include:

• Where the test was administered, including information such as the name and contact information for the laboratory or healthcare personnel who performed the test.
  • Type of test (indicating it is a NAAT or antigen test).
  • A specimen collection date within 2 days before cruise departure.
  • Guest’s name and either date of birth, age, or passport number.
  • A negative test result using words or phrases including (and not limited to): Negative; undetectable; SARS-CoV-2 RNA not detected; SARS-CoV-2 antigen not detected; Covid-19 not detected; Not reactive.
  • Test results marked “invalid” are not accepted.

see this link

]https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/the-cunard-experience/sailing-with-confidence/preparing-to-sail/at-the-terminal#brooklyn

Thank you, LifeonMars,

sadly this won’t work for us as we are going to spend a couple of weeks touring pre cruise. An observed test is going to be the way to go for us. But maybe that will all finished with by our embarkation in June. Bit shocked by the price quoted above! 
Libby 

Just check out the Binax Now AG test.   

It is an "observed" test that you self administer while online using the camera of your computer, ipad, iphone etc.

There are youtube videos of people taking the test.  Looks super simple, can be done in your hotel room or wherever, and results are back in 15 minutes.

I've confirmed that it is accepted by Cunard.   $150 for 6 tests.   They also sell them in smaller packs.  A 2 pack is about $70 and a 3 pack $100.   I would suggest a couple of spares incase of problems, mistakes etc.    Small price to pay vs not getting on board.

US citizens with health insurance would also have all or a portion of the cost reimbursed:  "Starting January 15, most people with a health plan can go online, or to a pharmacy or store to purchase an at-home over-the-counter COVID-19 diagnostic test authorized by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) at no cost, either through reimbursement or free of charge through their insurance"

5 hours ago, Kristal Blade said:

Thank you, LifeonMars,

sadly this won’t work for us as we are going to spend a couple of weeks touring pre cruise. An observed test is going to be the way to go for us. But maybe that will all finished with by our embarkation in June. Bit shocked by the price quoted above! 
Libby 

If you start with the New York State link mentioned above, you will eventually find:

https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/find-test-site-near-you

When I put in the zip code of our Brooklyn hotel (11201) the first two links specify "Free Diagnostic Testing (Third-party Verified)". They have fairly abbreviated hours, but should be doable with the two-day window.

15 hours ago, Kristal Blade said:

Thank you, LifeonMars,

Libby 

Here is hoping Kristal. nearly 1000 bucks for 2 test hardly worth going. Perhaps tests outside of NYC will be cheaper? Like in what white plans new york for example? Just a thought.

My wife and I just boarded QM2 for the 2/22 Caribbean cruise with " negative" (no Covid detected) results from the Binaxnow Ag internet proctored tests available from eMed and linked above.  The 6 pack of tests was $150 plus tax and shipping.  IMO it's worth getting the 6 pack so you can do a dry run ahead of time and get familiar with the test procedure.  My wife tested "inconclusive" on our first trial as the liquid agent was not delivered precisely to the small hole and a smear of pink color resulted instead of the single pink line you are looking for.  Closing the test booklet firmly is also important to get the test liquid moving up the card.

Create a Navica account (by Abbott Labs, the manufacturer of the test) and printout the eMed results (they are the distributor of the test) and the Navica results from a test done within 2 days of boarding and bring to boarding. There are some phone options as well.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

I’ve had some more thoughts about this. My brother in law needed a Covid test before a flight last year. He ordered them from a company that required him to film himself reaming his nose then send photos of the test panel showing the negative line. Confirmation was emailed to him within 30 mins.

I’m wondering if I could take this kit on holiday with me and use it while in my New York pre cruise hotel. I think that test system cost about £20. 

So, what do other Brits think. Workable? Acceptable?

Any input gratefully received.

Libby 

12 hours ago, Kristal Blade said:

I’ve had some more thoughts about this. My brother in law needed a Covid test before a flight last year. He ordered them from a company that required him to film himself reaming his nose then send photos of the test panel showing the negative line. Confirmation was emailed to him within 30 mins.

I’m wondering if I could take this kit on holiday with me and use it while in my New York pre cruise hotel. I think that test system cost about £20. 

So, what do other Brits think. Workable? Acceptable?

Any input gratefully received.

Libby 

I don't think that would be acceptable,  as the actual test taken at the time  is not supervised by a Telehealth provider , Only the film has been supervised. 

end quote

I suppose one  could  pre book and use a company that  video calls you  through Zoom/Skype on your computer from your hotel room etc then e mails you the certificate.  But if using UK company remember the time difference. 

If you use a USA company then you would somehow need to get hold of their testing kit prior to the test being taken.

It would help if Cunard could be more helpful in testing and prices for Bookings joining Brooklyn.    Or arrange the tests like they do in the UK at the port.

If you google then companies do pop up like these below, don't forget to use the discount codes supplied by your airline operator.

https://www.qured.com/shop/products

https://www.testingforall.org/product/fit-to-fly-lateral-flow-test/

https://www.cunard.com/en-gb/the-cunard-experience/sailing-with-confidence/preparing-to-sail/at-the-terminal#brooklyn

Edited by LifeonMars

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2022 at 10:58 AM, Kristal Blade said:

Thanks LifeonMars,

It’s a minefield out there! I had totally forgotten the time difference! I’m going to speak to the tour operator, a big one with Offers, they should be able to help.

Any Update ?

I have found this in Manhattan, bookable  Rapid Antigen Test with Certificate $75

Result 1-2 hours

https://www.bloomlabs.co/

Bloom Labs is located on 36th St. Between 5th and 6th Avenue. Just minutes from Herald Square and Penn Station

https://bloomlabs.as.me/schedule.php?_ga=2.232339231.1253462368.1646602757-1617693869.1646602757

Edited by LifeonMars

I very much welcome comments from anyone who has tested for Covid in NYC before boarding their cruise. RE: Testing where, when, how much, etc.

For what it's worth -- information I have but not made use of yet. Call the NYC Dept. of Health at 1-(855) 491-2667 or email www.nyc.gov/health/covidexpress for an appointment up to 2 days before you want the test. Lots of testing locations around NYC including Manhattan. It's a rapid test - results back in 24 hours but usually the same day the test was done. Testing is free but ONLY Monday through Friday.