Switch Health home kits via tele heath will they work going to USA - cruise.. flying home USA to Vancouver?

jillyalex

Hello there,

I'm going on a cruise March 18th out  of San Pedro CA and can't seem to get a straight answer regarding the Switch self administered test.

Being that the rules are going to be changed Feb 28th I was going to get the Antigen home test kit.

Has anyone used the Switch home kit via teleheath.. flying from Vancouver to LA .. then on cruise.. has anyone successfully done this?

Has anyone flown home from USA successfully crossing the border using the Telehealth Switch home kit?

Appreciate anyone that has successfully used these kits to please help me out. I know there was a guy that almost got charged the $5000 fine but was that a "one" off?

Thank you,

Jill 

We've used them flying into the US without issue.  Also used them boarding our cruise also not an issue.  While I haven't personally used them to fly back into Canada, I have read several accounts on another board I participate in and there have been no issues with the LAMP test upon return.  I fully suspect that the Antigen for return will be just fine as well.  I think the one report you read was from someone returning on a land crossing and the CBSA agent was mis-informed about it.  However since Rapid Antigen are becoming the new standard that hopefully shouldn't be an issue.

I used my RT Lamp test on Friday while on a sea day heading back to Florida with no issues and customs had no issues taking it.

Though my boyfriend's test became invalid as the analyzer malfunctioned so we got refunded for that test and so we got his PCR test done once we got to the airport by a company there. 

• Thanks 2

On 2/20/2022 at 4:29 PM, Barb1963 said:

I used my RT Lamp test on Friday while on a sea day heading back to Florida with no issues and customs had no issues taking it.

Though my boyfriend's test became invalid as the analyzer malfunctioned so we got refunded for that test and so we got his PCR test done once we got to the airport by a company there. 

We are going to use the Switch telehealth test for our cruise in March coming back to Canada. (We're going to use the Antigen test due to the rules change in March.) 

Out of curiosity how long did it take for you to do the tests / upload the results ? We are a family of four and are just curious if we need to buy a day of internet to do it on the ship the day before or maybe we can do it at 6AM when we dock in port.

6 hours ago, john2003 said:

Has anyone purchased the test in Canada, performed it in the US using the Canadian proctoring and then used it to board a ship in a US port.

Hey John, this is what I'm trying to find out 🙂  Also does Royal accept them as well? 

Wish I could get a concrete answer 🙂

I feel you should be right but there are so many cases where things have gone sideways for people that I have to be sure. It is my recollection that at one point Canada didn't recognize a test done in Canada even if within the time envelope for reentry from the US.

17 minutes ago, john2003 said:

I feel you should be right but there are so many cases where things have gone sideways for people that I have to be sure. It is my recollection that at one point Canada didn't recognize a test done in Canada even if within the time envelope for reentry from the US.

The problem with this view is that there is simply no certainty to anything. All one can do is read all the most recent requirements and comply with them. Then hope that all the individuals that review things are as up-to-date as you.

Always good to have a plan B when it comes to testing.

20 hours ago, DHLuCruise said:

We are going to use the Switch telehealth test for our cruise in March coming back to Canada. (We're going to use the Antigen test due to the rules change in March.) 

Out of curiosity how long did it take for you to do the tests / upload the results ? We are a family of four and are just curious if we need to buy a day of internet to do it on the ship the day before or maybe we can do it at 6AM when we dock in port.

You need the premium internet to perform the test n not sure if can only buy one day on the ship. It takes approx an hour from start to finish of one test.  

As u only require the rapid Antigen test by March I would look into having it perform at the airport or wait til u r docked on the way back.

14 hours ago, broberts said:

The problem with this view is that there is simply no certainty to anything. All one can do is read all the most recent requirements and comply with them. Then hope that all the individuals that review things are as up-to-date as you.

Always good to have a plan B when it comes to testing.

I had 3 plans in case one went sideways.  I bought the PCR RT Lamp test and brought them, made appts at the airport in case the ones I bought failed and one did in my case, and 3rd I asked once in board if the cruise line did them which they don't. 

All worked out and was all quite simple. My anxiety is what was the worst.