Explorer - May 6th Eastern Med Excursions?

Hi all.

We have a little left in our 2021 holiday fund that means we may be able to add a 7 night cruise on Explorer from May 6th - visiting Venice, Split, Dubrovnik, Kotor etc.

We are just wondering what sort of prices the excursions are through Marella as you can’t see them until you’ve actually booked. 

We know you can do DIY but we like to know prices of the ships excursions as the base of our budget - we don’t want to go to not see anything! 

So if anyone can share excursions and the prices for anything you’d recommend please. Thank you! 

while it does vary a little - on the two most recent Marella Mediteranean cruises we have done (Nov and Jan) , they have tended to congregate around the £50pp price point ... I usually do a little research myself and see if it possible for DIY, or local taxi, as they often work out cheaper and more flexible.
With Marella, nearly every trip leaves earcly morning and lasts 2-4 hours to ensure everyone is back on for lunch - we found very few "extensive/whole day" tours on offer from them.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, joeecco said:

We are just wondering what sort of prices the excursions are through Marella as you can’t see them until you’ve actually booked. 

Hi don't know if you have been to the Adriatic before but most of the POC are great just to walk off the ship, probably our favourite area even over the Caribbean 🙄. You can walk or catch the big red boat into Venice, Dubrovnik is easy by bus or a long walk. Remember that you can cancel any excursions with a full refund if you give them 24hrs notice. Have a great cruise 😎 

• Thanks 1

About £35-£50 pp from my last cruise with Marella - for about 3/4 hours.

The tours I did on the Marella Scotland Shetland cruise last year were excellent. 
very well organised - meet at the coach rather than congregate in waiting areas etc very good guides.

Edited by paulatsea
  • Thanks 1

We did the west side staycation in Aug last year. Tours for us, Belfast, Glasgow and Snowdonia were excellent and quite cheap (£25/30 each). They were all afternoon trips (probably as we booked the cruise last minute). The Snowdonia one from Holyhead was unfortunately not Covid safe in my opinion. We assembled in Broadway lounge for 45 mins as tenders to shore were running behind schedule. Although bus seats had been pre-marked for social distancing, passengers sat where they liked. On the return to ship (late due to late start), bike tour bikes filled one tender, and so every seat on our tender was filled, and more!

We did a similar trip in 2019. We did a Marella trip to Murano in Venice for a change as we'd been a couple times before. We also did a marella trip in sicily and were really glad we did as there was an RTA on the motorway and the shop waited for our return. Trips were £45 each I think. 

In Split we did our own thing it's an easy walk in just do bit googling before you go. Same in Dubrovnik loads of taxis €15 to walls then we did wall walk  the cable car was closed. Ancona was the worst place we visited did a half day walk tour then spent rest day on Ex2 watching ferries cone and go. 

Hth 

• 2 weeks later...

For the Adriatic cruise, if you have not been to those places before, just walk off the ship and explore. Corfu and Dubrovnik need a short bus ride to get to the town but the rest are easy walking distance.