FCC *CANADIANS* - consumer protection cannot expire?

kluv2cruz

Does anyone have wisdom about Consumer Protection and whether FCC are like a gift certificate or canceled airfare that’s gone into a travel bank which is illegal to have an expiry date in Canada?

Seems to me this is my money I paid for a cruise and it can’t just disappear with an expiry date, but I don’t know where to look for information to support this. I’m in BC and I know BC consumer protection act prohibits gift cards from having an expiry date.

Thanks for any wisdom. Cross posted in Canadian cruisers area.

Edited by kluv2cruz

I'd suggest you contact your local consumer agency and ask them directly. It often depends on the circumstances, such as who did the canceling and whether or not you were given an incentive.

In the U.S., if you agreed to the terms before taking the FCC, including that it had an expiration date, you're bound by those terms, especially if you were already offered a refund but you chose the FCC instead.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are a good number of issues at play here, in particular the circumstances under which the FCC was issued. For example, for much of 2020 when Celebrity was cancelling cruises, you had the option of a full refund or an FCC in a higher amount. If you chose to go with the higher value FCC and accepted the terms and conditions applying to the FCC, I'm not sure that you would be protected. 

Of course, the other main issue is that you are dealing with a US-based company, and I don't know whether related Canadian legislation can be applied extraterritorially.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1