Whale Watching for 2022 Sailings

LOVETOCRUISE!

We were able to finally make plans and are now going to Alaska in July of 2022. The problem is now that almost every cruise excursion is booked full.  Sorry if this has been already discussed, however are we allowed to go on our own excursions (not through the cruise ship) on Alaskan cruises now?? And if so, does anyone have any recommendations for Whale Watching/Glacier tours?

Thank you much and will be happy to get back cruising! 

You can book direct with vendors outside the cruise line. In fact, most who have cruised Alaska several times suggest that’s what to do and to avoid booking through the cruise line.

As for whale watch tours, we’ve been out with Allen Marine  who is one of the operators the cruise lines use, Harv n Marv, Jayleen and Juneau Whale Watch.   We found Juneau Whale Watch to be superior to the others.  The boat is very comfortable; it’s fast getting to locations for viewing.  Ours had about 40 people and there was plenty of room at the rail for viewing, forward, aft and on the upper deck. They also have combo whale watch/Mendenhall Glacier tours.

https://www.juneauwhalewatch.com

There are many that will suggest a smaller boat such at Harv n Marv and Jayleen although I wonder if they’ve experienced any other tours for comparison.  We had a miserable experience with Jayleen where we had to transfer to another, larger boat, in order to make it back to the dock during rough weather. They canceled the next trip of the day. The larger boats rarely do that.

You didn't say what cruise line or give your itinerary that you will be taking.  I am assuming that you are fully vaccinated.  If so, you should be able to go on an independent excursion --- just check with your cruise line to be sure.  Secondly, if Juneau is the whale watching destination you are looking at, there are lots of options to choose from.  A lot of us that have used whale watching companies will have our favorites but ultimately, you need to do your research and pick the one that suits you best.  We have gone with the following companies:  Harv & Marv, Orca Enterprise, Allen Marine, Jayleen's Alaska and one other company that I can't remember the name of (guess we were not that impressed with it.)  Based on our numerous whale watching excursions, we like Jayleen's Alaska.  I know others might not agree and that is OK -- we all have our favorites.  I respect "Glaciers" comments that their experience did not work for them.  However, I can honestly say that out of the numerous trips that we have taken with Jayleen we have never come across any problems. 

I will say that Allen Marine was by far not our favorite.  The boat is large and carried lots of people.  I am short and had to, at times, fight to get a good viewing spot to take pictures.  While on board the boat, a gentlemen rested his camera on my head so he could take pictures --- not a fun experience! We called it to his attention and he moved away.  Sure this was an isolated experience but when people are trying to get "the  shot" it can sometimes be annoying.

For stability and less motion of the water, you would probably be better off on a larger size boat. Yes, the smaller boats can and sometimes do rock, but there is something about being closer to the water when watching wildlife that we enjoy.

If interested in Jayleen's Alaska, here is the link:  https://jayleensalaska.com/

• Like 1

Our favourite port is Icy Straight Point (Hoonah).  Absolutely love the place and I would recommend Hoonah Whale Tours for some of the best whale watching anywhere (And many bears, eagles, seals, sea lions, etc.) Young family run business and some of the nicest people you will ever meet.  And very personalized as there is a max of 6 people on their boat.  Tell them Todd sent you !!! LOL

Enjoy !!