Given up on Ship Shore Excursions…..

Jamran77

I was on the Carnival Freedom, then moved to the Splendor and then moved to the Spirt.  Now after that mess the Spirt has not yet posted shore excursions.  
I already booked the Skagway train independently as this is the top of my list of things I want to do.  
Now I want to book Juneau Whale Watching in the morning and go the Mendenhall Glacier on our own in the PM on a shuttle but not the public transportation bus.  Any suggestions on a tour company that has great smaller Whale Watching tours?   And has anyone ever taken an independent shuttle to the glacier and did it on your own and not a tour?  
TIA!!!  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Jamran77 said:

I was on the Carnival Freedom, then moved to the Splendor and then moved to the Spirt.  Now after that mess the Spirt has not yet posted shore excursions.  
I already booked the Skagway train independently as this is the top of my list of things I want to do.  
Now I want to book Juneau Whale Watching in the morning and go the Mendenhall Glacier on our own in the PM on a shuttle but not the public transportation bus.  Any suggestions on a tour company that has great smaller Whale Watching tours?   And has anyone ever taken an independent shuttle to the glacier and did it on your own and not a tour?  
TIA!!!  

I booked Jayleen’s Alaska whale watching for Juneau. I’ve heard great things about them and they have smaller boats. They pick you up at the port an hour after the ship docks if you do the first outing of the day. 

The last time we were in Juneau, we bought tickets for Mendenhall from the bus kiosk right at the port. I think the busses run every 30 minutes, but I’m not sure when they stop running. We were able to take our time walking to and from the glacier. We did some walking around Juneau before and after Mendenhall and still had several hours before the ship departed. 

• Thanks 1

We have always gone to the glacier by bus from the pier right near the ship. They are privately run and last cost about 25$ pp for the trip only return.  Several buses there leaving as the fill. It takes you to the glacier. There, you buy an entry to the park…can use USA national park membership if you hav3 it. Can’t recall cost, but reasonable. You are free to do the walks, movies, gift shop, etc etc. do NOT miss the elevated walkway through the woods near the bus drop off point. There are bears and cubs there eating salmon from 5he fiver, while you walk 10 feet over them. Not well identified when last there. Buses leave to return to town every 20 minutes or so, stay as long as you want. No tour…you just wander. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We purchased private tickets with Juneau Whale Watch for $45 per person/round trip that includes the admission fee to the the glacier. It leaves from a spot near the tram office very close to the terminal. The buses pick up and drop off every 30 minutes. 

17 hours ago, yvette3339 said:

We purchased private tickets with Juneau Whale Watch for $45 per person/round trip that includes the admission fee to the the glacier. It leaves from a spot near the tram office very close to the terminal. The buses pick up and drop off every 30 minutes. 

This from the NPS - 

"Visitors are required to purchase a pass from May 1–Sept. 30 to enter the Visitor Center. Passes can be purchased at the automated machines available in the Mendenhall Glacier parking lots or from the online Discovery Southeast bookstore at https://www.discoverysoutheast.org/store/. Day use passes sell for $5 per person and collectible season passes will be for sale for $15 for the card holder and one guest the entire season. Those age 15 and younger are free. The passes also allow access to the Pavilion, Photo Point and Steep Creek Trails. Fees are not necessary for accessing the parking areas, or hiking Nugget Falls Trail, East Glacier Trail, Powerline Trail, Moraine Ecology Trail, the Trail of Time, and all the Dredge Lakes and West Glacier Trails. Federal lands passes such as the “America the Beautiful” pass, Senior Pass, or Military Pass are also accepted."

The admission fee is only $5 and if you have any of the passes mentioned it is free so the fact that they include the admission fee is sort of worthless.  Also, I consider it sort of deceptive because they should tell you how low the admission fee is.

DON

• Like 1

On 2/25/2022 at 10:08 PM, Jamran77 said:

And has anyone ever taken an independent shuttle to the glacier and did it on your own and not a tour?

Ya I simply walked up to a kiosk in port, bought a ticket, and jumped on the bus. Super easy to make your own way to Mendenhall.

On 2/27/2022 at 7:45 PM, yvette3339 said:

Thanks for this info!  So am I understanding that for $45  per person round trip the Juneau Whale Watch bus drops you at the Mendenhall Visitor Center and you have as long as you wish to spend at the glacier, and when ready to return to town there is a pickup every 30 minutes for the return trip?  That is better than the $49.95 ship tour because the ship tour is limited to 3.5 hours.   I just made a post asking this question.

You might want to check out this article.  It has a section on booking excursions privately and includes a link with a ton of information on things you can do on your own in the ports.  It seems easy to do.  The article in general is a great resource for Alaska. 

First Time Cruisers to Alaska: Answers to 10 Common Questions

• Thanks 2