Changing staterooms...

Greyhound Crazy

I almost dread the answer to this question, but how difficult is it to switch the staterooms into which we've been booked? I use a Travel Agent, and when he booked our rooms back in March of 2021 he booked us in the rooms suggested by the MSC booking agent. When I looked up the rooms on a deck plan, they turned out to be Accessible staterooms. Every time we made an inquiry, they told us they were not accessible so there was no need to change them. In September when we finally received our booking confirmation (which said Accessible Stateroom right on it), and my TA called MSC and said they needed to switch them, they even sent him an email to send to us, showing the staterooms on their deck plan, with the rooms circled, and the message said "No H on rooms, so these are regular balcony staterooms, please forward to your client. There is no need to switch staterooms." I have this email from MSC printed out even, in case they questioned our need for accessible rooms when we arrive at port (I stress about all kinds of things). 

First, I have no idea what deck plan they were looking at all those months. 

Second, I have no idea why they refuse to switch the staterooms even at my TA's request. He has never had difficulty doing this with any other cruise line. 

Even though we are now past final payment, I asked him to try and switch the rooms one more time. This time, they told him yes, the rooms we have booked are indeed H rooms, we should have known this all along and done this sooner (as if I haven't been trying). They said they won't change our staterooms now without completely re-booking, but in any event rebooking is moot, because there are no balcony staterooms available, period, so we will have to stay with the rooms assigned to us. 

He has spoken to 4 different people today, who have told him the same thing, and they refused to let him speak to their one-up, but said he could email reservations. He has no confidence he'll receive a response. 

I have done several mock bookings, though, and there seem to be more than enough balcony staterooms available with my chosen package and selected experience. I even called the number on the website to ask if there were any available and she said there were still many to choose from. 

I'm frustrated and confused, my TA is angry, frustrated and confused and more than a little upset that they seem to give different information to TAs than consumers, and I still don't think it's right that we're in accessible staterooms when we don't need accessible staterooms. I want the experience I want, and I want someone who needs those rooms to have the experience they want. 

Just how difficult is it to fix this? Does anyone know? In my head it really shouldn't be this hard. If I can't get it done the right way, can I get it done on the ship? I don't need the guilt. 

• Thanks 1

I am so sorry to hear this, and you have my sympathies. How frustrating that you have been trying to fix this error (on their part!) and they wouldn't listen to you, and then finally acknowledge a mistake was made and blame you for it!! Gah!!! You might want to discuss this with your TA, but it could be possible to cancel the cruise and rebook to get the room you want - their current policies might allow this, but I'm not sure. As far as the handicapped rooms, good for you for trying to be a good citizen and save those staterooms for folks who really need them. That said, the room itself will likely not be that different from a regular room, just wider doorway, a shower you can roll into, and most likely a slightly larger room and balcony. Worst case scenario, if they don't change your room, it will probably still be a good room to have. And given the lower occupancy rates there is a good chance no one needs the room (and if they do, they will likely bump you). Good luck with this issue, and hope you have a great cruise.

I've sailed with MSC several times and have never had a problem changing rooms when I've called. In fact I did for my cruise coming up on March 19th. 

I found the same room available on a more desirable deck, called them and they made the switch. 

Of course, MSC is known for their consistent inconsistency so if you call and get an answer you don't like, call back and speak to someone else.

I have never booked with a travel agent though.

Also, my parents were booked in a room designed for passengers with disabilities one time (they are not disabled). Though the room was larger, as it was designed for wheelchair access, the shower was essentially open (no doors) and water went everywhere. They ended up rolling up towels to dam the area around the shower...hated it.

Edited by fish_guru
added info

38 minutes ago, Greyhound Crazy said:

It really shouldn't be. And yet, here we are. 

Your best bet is to do a mock booking, find a cabin you'd like that fits the "level" and experience you have paid for.  Then have your TA call and specifically request that cabin.  

4 minutes ago, Morgsmom said:

Your best bet is to do a mock booking, find a cabin you'd like that fits the "level" and experience you have paid for.  Then have your TA call and specifically request that cabin.  

Okay, we'll try that next. Thanks!

19 hours ago, Morgsmom said:

Even with mock booking, MSC online does not show all rooms available.  We've even had TA see certain rooms open yet MSC would not let TA book.

On 3/8/2022 at 7:04 AM, Greyhound Crazy said:

I have done several mock bookings, though, and there seem to be more than enough balcony staterooms available with my chosen package and selected experience. I even called the number on the website to ask if there were any available and she said there were still many to choose from. 

Just how difficult is it to fix this? Does anyone know? In my head it really shouldn't be this hard. If I can't get it done the right way, can I get it done on the ship? I don't need the guilt. 

It can not be done on the ship.

My guess is that you can not change because you booked under the old system before MSC changed the experiences. For these booking classes there are no more cabins available, so all the cabins you find with mock bookings are not available for you. They look like your package and selected experience, but they are not.

I really would not continue to try to mess around with your booking, the chance that you make things worse (new pricing with no way back) is higher than reaching something positive. 

Well, we have had success! It took some doing on the part of our travel agent, but in the end he found someone who understood the nature of the request, the nature of the problem, and was able to move our rooms without any need for rebooking and without any additional charges. I am greatly relieved and glad that we are not taking away an accessible room from someone who might need it. 

Now to get on with the planning! 

Thank you all for your suggestions and comments, they were invaluable. 

• Like 3

This is why I don't use a TA.  They find it impossible to do what I can do easily on the phone when I book directly.  I have never, I repeat never, had a problem changing rooms on MSC.  I always book direct with them and I always speak to them on the phone.  The required changes are made immediately and confirmation sent in an email within minutes.