Boarding in Baltimore

cbfromjc

What is the earliest you can board in Baltimore and how strict are they with appointment times if you show up early?  If they won't let you board, will they let you drop off your luggage and sit in the terminal?

Baltimore is strict about check-in times, as least they were for our last 2 cruises in January and February. 12 noon is the first time slot. We had the 12 noon slot and there were 2 lines for 12:00 and 12:30.  I imagine they change those times accordingly.  We could see after we boarded that anyone who came too early were made to stand outside until their allotted time. If you are parking, you give your luggage to porters first, then pay for parking, then park. If you are being dropped off, the porters will take your luggage when your ride drops you off. Either way, you don’t have to haul around your luggage until your check-in time. But you will have to wait outside until your check-in time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cbfromjc said:

What is the earliest you can board in Baltimore and how strict are they with appointment times if you show up early?  If they won't let you board, will they let you drop off your luggage and sit in the terminal?

Well..thats always an "it depends" kind of situation in Baltimore. The ships arrival times tend to vary due to the conditions in the Chesapeake bay. However we cruised out of Baltimore last September. We had a 12:30 check-in time. I THINK the earliest check-in  time that day was 12 noon. We drive to B'more cause we're close. Arrived about 12:10. They were checking arrival times and turning folks away from entering the parking lot if they were there 30 minutes or more earlier from their arrival time on their boarding pass. We give our luggage to the porters in the parking lot, checked in, and were on the ship by 12:45. There is a waiting area in the terminal if they are not just letting folks board as they checked in. I believe if you arrive to the port by any means other than driving, there are porters near the terminal to take your luggage.

My last cruise was a few months ago and they were very strict about check in times.

They would ask to see your papers and it wasnt the current time, they would boot you.

If you are parking, i would suggest that you drop your luggage, pay the at the gate and then wait in your car until it is your scheduled time.

They were turning people away if it wasn't their time yet and I saw a few folk sitting in their cars. At first, I was wondering why anyone would be in their car when they could get on the ship, but seemed they just of arrived too early.

22 hours ago, cbfromjc said:

OP, Are you sailing on Carnival or RC?  Earliest boarding time might vary between them.  That should be stated when you do your online checkin.

However, I can vouch for the truth of what people have stated above: They are very strict about not allowing people to get into a line until one's boarding time. 

• 2 weeks later...

We will be sailing on Royal Caribbean.  What is the cost for parking at the port of Baltimore?

What should we expect regarding traffic Baltimore for a Saturday departure?

Is there a best time to leave the port during the week based on rush hour traffic?

29 minutes ago, 2br~2b said:

We will be sailing on Royal Caribbean.  What is the cost for parking at the port of Baltimore?

What should we expect regarding traffic Baltimore for a Saturday departure?

Is there a best time to leave the port during the week based on rush hour traffic?

Parking is $15/day.   Saturday traffic should not be a problem.  The port is right off I-95 (can't remember the exit, but it is well marked) and easy off and on.

We usually depart the ship around 9:00-9:30.  The rush hour traffic has subsided, but there is always traffic to deal with around Baltimore.

• Like 1

We're boarding this Saturday and have an 11 am boarding time.  People who boarded the last two cruises, including just this past Friday said they are definitely enforcing boarding times.  If you arrive early, you have to wait outside.

Just came off a cruise there 2 weeks ago. They take your luggage prior to you parking your vehicle. They’re pretty strict with the boarding times. We had a suite, so we were able to use that line, with was considerably shorter. 

On 3/27/2022 at 2:03 PM, BND said:

We're boarding this Saturday and have an 11 am boarding time.  People who boarded the last two cruises, including just this past Friday said they are definitely enforcing boarding times.  If you arrive early, you have to wait outside.

That is true.  We arrived just prior to our12:00 boarding time and got inside the building for the security screening quickly.  There were people who had the 12:30 time slot and had to wait outside until their allotted time.  It was February and it was cold, damp and windy - not pleasant to be standing in the elements, and they made no exceptions.  Strongly suggest you adhere to your arrival time to avoid the potential of standing outside in the rain.

• Like 1